Galveston Fog

Capt. Mike

Looks like both the Majic and the Mariner are anchored out due to fog. No point in rusihng to Galveston this morning.

It's cleared up a lot here in LJ and the webcams look like it's beginning to burn off over on the island. But, you're right...no point in rushing down to the pier. Chill out and enjoy your Sunday morning. Someone on another site said the Magic and Mariner are just waiting right outside the Bay. Hopefully, it won't be too long! :)

I sail Jan 29 on the Magic. I guess we'll take a computer to check the web cam before we check out of our room. It'd be a mess to check out and then find ourselves without a room. (I guess that wouldn't be the worst problem ever.)

But you do help out by letting us know the "Fog" situation. Thanks.

Nancy

Just off the Magic. It was 1:30pm before we disembarked and we were self assist. None of the luggage was in the terminal by the time we got off. Customs took about 30 minutes. It was a mess around the port, with all the traffic and people. The ships are still in port as I type this, 6:45pm.

Last week the ship did not arrive until 10:30am. We went to the port at 1pm, and waited until 4:30pm to board. It was a horrible afternoon. A lot of standing and waiting.

Not sure how much I like Galveston as a cruise port. I have spent most of my day today, dealing with insurance(so happy I have it), re-scheduling flights, getting a hotel, and re-scheduling transportation to the airport. Oh well, one extra day of vacation, after a great cruise. I really am not complaining.... just warning what could happen. They treated us great on the ship during the delay, and even let us stay in our staterooms. The crew though, that is another story .... they were busting their butts, trying to feed and look after us.

Karen

Just off the Magic. It was 1:30pm before we disembarked and we were self assist. None of the luggage was in the terminal by the time we got off. Customs took about 30 minutes. It was a mess around the port, with all the traffic and people. The ships are still in port as I type this, 6:45pm.

Last week the ship did not arrive until 10:30am. We went to the port at 1pm, and waited until 4:30pm to board. It was a horrible afternoon. A lot of standing and waiting.

Not sure how much I like Galveston as a cruise port. I have spent most of my day today, dealing with insurance(so happy I have it), re-scheduling flights, getting a hotel, and re-scheduling transportation to the airport. Oh well, one extra day of vacation, after a great cruise. I really am not complaining.... just warning what could happen. They treated us great on the ship during the delay, and even let us stay in our staterooms. The crew though, that is another story .... they were busting their butts, trying to feed and look after us.

Karen

I'm sorry you had such an experience out of Galveston. We live close by and have sailed out of there many, many times. Never had a delay! Our weather has just been awful here lately! I'm glad Carnival took care of you.

Karen;

Glad you were well treated on a good cruise. I'm hoping for no fog, but I understand that is just the case in Jan. and Feb. out of Galveston. That sort of puts a damper on things, I bet.

Nancy

Our family group of 20 was delayed in boarding the Triumph over 8 hours for a Dec. cruise - the port was closed due to fog, and the ship didn't even arrive to begin customs/disembarking procedures for the previous passengers until 5:30 in the evening. We finally got on the ship around 8:30pm, and then fog caused the port to be closed again - so we didn't sail until after midnight! The one "silver lining" in the delay, however, was that our port time in Cozumel was later also and we were able to be at Puerta Maya, the Carnival dock, after dark, which gave the area a magic we hadn't been able to experience before....

This year, with mother nature's jet stream being so far north,

and the US being affected by a La Nina weather pattern in the Pacific Ocean,

the US is being affected in different ways all over the US.

The entire Gulf Coast and East Coast can be subject to fog.

Fog is relative to mother nature and does not occur every day,

week or month, nor last for long periods.

Its occurrence is as varible

as the weather is each year.

This year is a La Nina Year.

Two years ago there was not a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.

If you are cruising one time out of Galveston in the winter,

your odds are very good you will not be affected by the fog.

It could happen!

Things happen!!!!

My daughter is in Chicago right now,

with the snow

and dealing with the complications from the massive cancellations of air flights.

Complications for cruisers now is snow in northeast

affecting air traffic and cruisers reaching their sailings.

Are we still going to cruise? Yes, even if there is a chance you won't get out of Chicago!

It could also be a hurricane in the Atlantic affecting Florida

and the entire East Coast and or Gulf Coast;

It could also be a hurricane in the Carribean;

It could be a chemical spill on the Mississippi;

It can be storms on the east coast;

It could be strikes in Europe;

Whether it is a cruise or

a cross country road trip in your car there can be complications.

Make your plans flexible.....buy insurance......

go...... and enjoy your trip.... if you make the ship.:D

Yesterday's fog in Galveston kept us out of port until it reopened at 10:40am. Then a 2 hour transit in to dock, 45 minutes to disembark (in the self assist group; which was HUGE)/customs.

The Capt made the fog announcement at 7am, opened the internet and phone access so we could all make travel arrangements, told us about the 2 hr timeframe for docking once the port opened. People sat comfortably in Windjammer and other eating areas, played games in the gameroom, basketball outside (although it was drizzly), attended scheduled activities like swing dance lessons, and generally waited patiently for updates.

RCCL could section the self assist group into two -- those trying to make flights and those just driving home (or, like us, just going to a hotel bc of already missed flights...) That would help the congestion in the Savoy area.

But overall, well-handled by the Capt, the passengers, the crew and RCCL terminal staff.

Note: RCCL Mariner docks ahead (time) of Carnival Magic bc Mariner is physically behind Magic while docked. So add time if on Carnival...

Advice: This year, plan on regular fog delays

Note: RCCL Mariner docks ahead (time) of Carnival Magic bc Mariner is physically behind Magic while docked. So add time if on Carnival...

Not exactly true Ive seen the Magic come in first and the Mariner have to manuever in behind. It was 2-3 weeks ago.

Does anyone know if you can drop off your luggage in the morning when there is a fog delay and then come back later in the afternoon for embarkation? I am anticipating that we may have fog on our upcoming cruise on Feb 19 out of Galveston and we would like to drop off the luggage so we can explore the town. We are staying in Houston and not Galveston so we can't leave it at the hotel.

Thanks for your help!

Not exactly true Ive seen the Magic come in first and the Mariner have to manuever in behind. It was 2-3 weeks ago.

Oh, sorry. I stand corrected. It's amazing how they can maneuver those huge ships in such tiny spaces. Totally awesome to watch docking.

Archived