Question on Victoria, BC

CruiseAdict218

Depending on what route you are talking about, it may be a distance for the ship to travel to get there early. My guess however is that Victoria is simply a courtesy stop to ensure the ship complies with whatever law that is that requires it to stop in a foreign country.

Too bad, Victoria is a wonderful City.

Depending on what route you are talking about, it may be a distance for the ship to travel to get there early. My guess however is that Victoria is simply a courtesy stop to ensure the ship complies with whatever law that is that requires it to stop in a foreign country.

Too bad, Victoria is a wonderful City.

Your right I forgot about the whole law thing, and we are taking the Glacier Bay route, its in my sig. below

Yes, it is a requirement under the Passenger Vessel Services Act or PVSA. Occasionally due to winds the ships can't tie up in Victoria so a boat has to go out to them to do the paperwork. As for the ETA, well that is a function of time, tides and distance and unfortunately what happens with an itinerary out of Seattle.

Yes, it is a requirement under the Passenger Vessel Services Act or PVSA. Occasionally due to winds the ships can't tie up in Victoria so a boat has to go out to them to do the paperwork. As for the ETA, well that is a function of time, tides and distance and unfortunately what happens with an itinerary out of Seattle.

What happens if the ship can not dock, does it still count as stopping at a foreign country? Will the ship then sail directly to Seattle? or fill in a different port?

A boat goes out to the ship and whatever paperwork that is required under the PVSA is done on board. The ship at that point is in Canadian waters so evidently all is good.

Oh I see, and if the ship cant dock it will then just sail directly for Seattle?

Oh I see, and if the ship cant dock it will then just sail directly for Seattle?

You will NOT get to Seattle early if the ship doesn't dock in Victoria. They would essentially go really slowly to Seattle so that you would arrive at the scheduled time. :eek: Either that or they will go out and anchor until they are ready to head into Seattle. ;)

We've been to Victoria about 6 times and have always been able to dock. I know sometimes they do have trouble, but it is the exception and not the rule.

Just a slight clarrification. The paperwork must be signed ashore, not afloat! The ship's agent applies for and then gets a fax of a clearance for the occupancy of an anchorage from the Queen's Harbour Master, someone with full signing authority from the Purser's office on the cruise ship comes ashore, usually to the Pilotage wharf, papers are signed and exchanged between the agent and purser, and the ship is then in compliance with US regulations. Normally the ship would then steam at slow speed in order to arrive at Port Angeles Pilot Station as the reserved time.

Most ships travel at full economical speed between Ketchikan and Victoria. They leave Ketchikan earlier than they would like, and arrive in Victoria later than they would like, but that is just the result of the distance involved!! Some ships run slow to save fuel, others can't make decent headway in heavy seas and arrive late.

Archived