will RCCL ever come to Charleston SC

I thought that was a very strong effort from some residents in Charleston to keep the ships out. The large ships damaged the views of the city or something along those lines.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/11/01/cruise-ships-charleston/

There are plenty of other cities who would like to attract that type of tourist and the millions of dollars that come with it. Not sure why would RCI go to Charleston and potentially meet a lot of resistance (Ie trouble) when they could go to another port and get a friendly reception.

I thought that was a very strong effort from some residents in Charleston to keep the ships out.

It's a small but vocal minority. So far they've been told "tough luck" by the local government. They know how much money is at stake if cruise ships pull out altogether to satisfy the protesters.

And YES, I'd love to see an RCI ship in Charleston (or any other port near Atlanta, where I live). Carnival has been charging considerably higher fares on their Charleston itineraries than out of other ports with similar itineraries. When Carnival has a 22 year old ship going to the same crappy ports in the Bahamas, AND they manage to fill it up to 100% capacity every week even when charging higher rates, I think Royal could definitely benefit from a ship there.

Yep, its a small but very local minority with a lot of time and money on their hands. The vast majority of us in the Charleston area do not share their narrow view. Would love to have someone other than Carnival sailing from here. I live 20 minutes from the port! Currently we have just Carnival sailing from here. In the past Norwegian and Celebrity have sailed out of Charleston as well.

Charleston really doesn't like cruise ships - they think it takes away from the historical qualities of the town. Charleston already has a great tourism industry year-round, and if more cruiselines come to Charleston, the city will have to build the infrastructure to support the cruise industry in addition to the already annual tourists. Also, note that docking fees in Charleston are quite a bit higher than other ports. That 5-day cruise on Carnival is too expensive for what it offers IMO.

However, I'd love it if Royal Caribbean put a cruise ship in Charleston. It's just a five hour drive from my home (compared to a nine hour drive to Tampa or Port Canaveral), and would be a beautiful city to set sail from.

It may be, as you say, a small but vocal minority that are opposed to the presence of cruise ships, but they are a fact of life and it is easy to understand why, with so many other ports willing and eager to support the presence of cruise ships, RCI and other lines are not interested in putting up with the objections of those very vocal critics.

Not RCI, but I find it interesting that Azamara has a sailing in 2013 that has an overnight stop at Charleston.

Sunday, December 8Miami - Florida Embark 5:00 PM

Monday, December 9At Sea Cruising

Tuesday, December 10Charleston - South Carolina Docked 9:00 AM

Wednesday, December 11Charleston - South Carolina Docked 9:00 PM

Thursday, December 12Savannah - Georgia Docked 8:00 AM10:00 PM

Friday, December 13At Sea Cruising

Saturday, December 14At Sea Cruising

Sunday, December 15Labadee - Haiti Docked 9:00 AM5:00 PM

Monday, December 16Samana - Dominican Republic Docked 8:00 AM9:00 AM

Monday, December 16Cayo Levantado (samana) -d.r. Tendered 9:50 AM5:00 PM

Tuesday, December 17Grand Turk - Turks & Caicos Docked 9:00 AM10:00 PM

Wednesday, December 18At Sea Cruising

Thursday, December 19At Sea Cruising

Friday, December 20Miami - Florida Debark 7:00 AM

miami-charleston.gif

Sorry to be off topic.

Once the new terminal is built I suspect that other cruise lines will put ships in charleston.

Don't count on it. Norfolk, Va. built a brand new terminal and all the cruiselines pulled out with the exception of Carnival and we only get them two months out of the year. Norfolk is looking for cruiseships to locate here and our area is very friendly towards having their business.

Archived