Please do not reserve deck chair with a towel

TeaDrinkers2012

:confused: Im confused

ncl puts those towels there for us to use,in fact i like ncl the best because they also always put out sunglasses, books, flip flops, and other stuff thats complementary for us. Its all included in the cruise fare, read the contract

:eek::rolleyes:

bwhahahahahahah

Worst case of chair hogs I've ever seen was on the Carnival Valor 2 years ago when we did a Western. On both sea days you literally could not get a chair ANYWHERE, let alone near the pool. There were books, shoes, sandals, hats, scarves - you name it. The best one was someone actually went to the bother of printing up 2 signs and laminating them. "These chairs reserved for Joan and Bill" and they had an official looking Carnival logo on them. I was so pissed after that cruise. I don't need to be near the pool but a chair anywhere would have been nice.

When I posted about it on my return someone on the cruisecritic gave me a great idea. Instead of taking a spot from someone, remove their stuff, take their chair and move it somewhere nearby. You then sit and enjoy the confusion that ensues if they return. They have no idea you're in their chair and you can just sit back and enjoy.

All I will say...

There are fantastic moderators who monitor these threads.

And you can help them...

If you read something that offends you or seems over the top inappropriate, you can click on the little red triangle at the top right of each post. I have done this, and it works.

But they are the thread police. We aren't. It's too ironic when some people blast others inappropriately for what they consider inappropriate behavior...

:mad: Please do not reserve deck chair with a towel

This is bad practice and should not be tolerated !!!!!!!!!

If you see this - pickup towel(s) up and put in proper place - cleaning bin/etc.

this practice of removing the towels will give the REST of US a chance at a place to sit down.

I pick up towels after breakfast and do this on EVERY cruise - If more people would also do this - this problem would go away for GOOD.

thanks

Sounds like a plan....

Someone Trying to Stir up the Pot again? Hope not. Teaching is a much better method. Anyway, thought this was a dead issue ? :confused:

That said back out to the deck chair. Better use of my time.

Oh by the way, here's a thought to ponder on:

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.

John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.

John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln 's secretary was named Kennedy.

Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.

Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.

Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.

Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named 'Ford.'

Kennedy was shot in a car called ' Lincoln' made by 'Ford.'

Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.

Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And here's the kicker...

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland

a week before Kennedy was shot, he was with Marilyn Monroe

:) Now isn't that better than instructing one on how to use the red triangle button?

Best Regards & Have a Nice Day!

All I will say...

There are fantastic moderators who monitor these threads.

And you can help them...

If you read something that offends you or seems over the top inappropriate, you can click on the little red triangle at the top right of each post. I have done this, and it works.

But they are the thread police. We aren't. It's too ironic when some people blast others inappropriately for what they consider inappropriate behavior...

This picture is from 6:30 AM, yes 6:30 AM:confused: on one of our sea days. Who the heck wakes up and reserves a seat with a towel before 6:30 AM???. I was standing on deck with another guy for about 15 minutes as we watched in amazement as one sleepy cruiser after another tried to make their claim. Nobody from NCL seemed to mind. We did though.......... and we picked up about 20 towels and returned them to the bin:D. We did not move any personal things like books, sunglasses or iPod.........yes, someone left an iPod on top of a towel. Those of you on the Gem 6-16-12 cruise...........I'm an early riser, you have been warned;)

And you think this is your job...why? Some people have nothing better to do on a cruise. I guess.

Parents that want to keep an eye on their children are the only ones I could see trying to reserve a chair near the pool. Moving someone's stuff so you could sit next to the pool and read a book, baking in the sun seems a little outrageous. Unless you have children I see no point in being so close to the pool. Just my thought.

This is the only reason I care about the location of my chair - I want to be able to keep an eye on my child at all times. At age 7 (and an accomplished swimmer), she's okay to swim without me right next to her, but I still don't want her out of eyesight, or so far away that I can't get to her immediately.

Worst case of chair hogs I've ever seen was on the Carnival Valor 2 years ago when we did a Western. On both sea days you literally could not get a chair ANYWHERE, let alone near the pool. There were books, shoes, sandals, hats, scarves - you name it. The best one was someone actually went to the bother of printing up 2 signs and laminating them. "These chairs reserved for Joan and Bill" and they had an official looking Carnival logo on them. I was so pissed after that cruise. I don't need to be near the pool but a chair anywhere would have been nice.

Yeah, that would make me mad, too. If for some reason my DD wasn't at the pool with me (in the kids' program or doing something with my husband), then as long as I had a place to sit and relax, location wouldn't matter. That's assuming that there are chairs enough to go around. I'd get ticked off if people were "reserving" chairs that they had no intention of using in the near future, though - in my mind it's the same as asking a restaurant/dining room to hold a table for you, even though you don't plan to sit down to eat for another hour.

To me it's just common courtesy - when I take my daughter to the park she knows that she can't "reserve" the slide because she might, at some nebulous point in the future, want to slide. When she's ready to slide, she slides. If she's been on the swings for 15 minutes and other kids want to swing, it's time for her to move on to something else and give the other kids a turn.

I was totally disgusted when on the NCL Epic how many people tied the towels to two chairs to save them before breakfast. I made a point of getting up every morning EARLY having breakfast and then got out to the deck to a chair, I never saved my chair. I was so turned off by this.

I've never understood this either.

If you're swimming, you're not sitting on a deck chair.

Same as, if you're in the library reading a book....you shouldn't have a table reserved at the buffet.

You can only do 1 thing at a time.

I'm curious to know where you would expect one to put their towels while in the pool? When my wife and I are using the pool we will place both of our stuff on one chair as to minimize the effect, and it will be a chair that is out of the sun, so it wont be as desirable.

never had a prob with the chairs either and yes i do leave something on mine when i get up to go to the restroom or get a drink or get something to eat etc and depending where i have to go i come back and its still there--never gone longer than a half hr...i was on the SUN 2 weeks last month and this was never a prob (reserving of chairs) course i am NOT the Chair Hog Police either--have BETTER things to do then watch the chair situation!

Good post. I pity the fool who had the gall to remove my towel from a chair! Like you, I am never gone more than 20 minutes tops - and yes, I have the right to get up and use the restroom, get a drink, and even <gasp> bring food back to my chair from the buffet line. People need to just relax. It's amazing how uptight some of you are! Have fun and ENJOY your cruise!!

I think it's important to differentiate between reserving and place holding.

Getting up at 7am to lay towels out on loungers to reserve them for the day is just downright selfish and rude.

Enjoying a lounger and then getting up and leaving it for 20 minutes to use the restroom, swim, grab a burger....not a big deal. Not even in the same ball park. To me -- a non-issue.

The way I see it, the towel reservers are the same people who go to Disney and sit on the sidewalk, surrounded by bags and coats, in the perfect spot, waiting for the Parade....that starts in 4 hours. Sorry, I don't spend my vacation time policing other people or worrying about what time I have to get up to reserve a chair. Seems awfully stressful. I wish people would just relax, use chairs that they actually plan on sitting in most of the time, and clean up after themselves. That's all. :)

I think it's important to differentiate between reserving and place holding.

Getting up at 7am to lay towels out on loungers to reserve them for the day is just downright selfish and rude.

Enjoying a lounger and then getting up and leaving it for 20 minutes to use the restroom, swim, grab a burger....not a big deal. Not even in the same ball park. To me -- a non-issue.

The way I see it, the towel reservers are the same people who go to Disney and sit on the sidewalk, surrounded by bags and coats, in the perfect spot, waiting for the Parade....that starts in 4 hours. Sorry, I don't spend my vacation time policing other people or worrying about what time I have to get up to reserve a chair. Seems awfully stressful. I wish people would just relax, use chairs that they actually plan on sitting in most of the time, and clean up after themselves. That's all. :)

I totally agree.

Wouldn't that be nice..

Not likely though ;)

Good post. I pity the fool who had the gall to remove my towel from a chair! Like you, I am never gone more than 20 minutes tops - and yes, I have the right to get up and use the restroom, get a drink, and even <gasp> bring food back to my chair from the buffet line. People need to just relax. It's amazing how uptight some of you are! Have fun and ENJOY your cruise!!

I think you're missing the point of this thread. Leaving your spot for a few minutes to use the bathroom, grab a drink, etc... is expected. Normal thinking people do that. Everyone does that.

But leaving your stuff behind for an hour, or all morning, is NOT what normal thinking people do. This is what people with overblown senses of entitlement do.

I just can't get all worked up over this subject. Didn't have a problem finding a chair last time and probably won't this time and I don't think I would waste my time on any cruise moving people's belongings. Is it right for them to do it no but I'm also not the towel police.

Lose one once and you'll see the charge! Pool towels are left in your cabin (blue & white striped) and you will be charged $25.00 if you don't still have them at the end of the cruise.

Just booked and asked this question and was told there is no charge for towels. How could they possible charge for lost towels when someone could pick up your towel while your swimming or something.

Nice. You bring up a non-political bipartisan topic and twist an ugly topic into something even uglier. Was on your side, but since you're so anxious to push others away through your thinly veiled political intent, you got it.

My same sex liberal democrat partner/fiancee and I will personally thank you next time we cruise on the same ship. :D

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the post either. Wondered when I first saw the screen name.

I think you're missing the point of this thread. Leaving your spot for a few minutes to use the bathroom, grab a drink, etc... is expected. Normal thinking people do that. Everyone does that.

But leaving your stuff behind for an hour, or all morning, is NOT what normal thinking people do. This is what people with overblown senses of entitlement do.

Yes, that is very true Rick

Just booked and asked this question and was told there is no charge for towels. How could they possible charge for lost towels when someone could pick up your towel while your swimming or something.

There is no charge for the use of towels. The charge is to reduce the number of towels that "accidently" fall into someone's luggage. If you are the victim of towel theft report it immediately to the purser's desk and it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, that is very true Rick

For what it's worth, if I were sitting next to your chair/lounger and you just left to get a burger/beer/quick dip/buy me a shiny gift, and someone started tossing your things aside under the guise of "no reservations chairs!", I'd do my best Mr. T. and pity that fool for you. :cool:

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the post either. Wondered when I first saw the screen name.

Just did a search of his/her previous posts and vee-oh-la! I saw that there were several strangely worded posts that initially start off as helpful or basic then... not so much.

For what it's worth, if I were sitting next to your chair/lounger and you just left to get a burger/beer/quick dip/buy me a shiny gift, and someone started tossing your things aside under the guise of "no reservations chairs!", I'd do my best Mr. T. and pity that fool for you. :cool:

Thanks Rick - I'd do the same for you as well :)

Archived