Shore Excursion to Sintra

Hi All

We are cruise virgins sailing on IOTS in March and calling at Lisbon. I'd really like to visit Sintra but don't like the sound of the organised trip and would prefer to do this under our own steam or use a company based in Lisbon. Has anyone out there done this/can offer any tips?

Many thanks

Hi All

We are cruise virgins sailing on IOTS in March and calling at Lisbon. I'd really like to visit Sintra but don't like the sound of the organised trip and would prefer to do this under our own steam or use a company based in Lisbon. Has anyone out there done this/can offer any tips?

Many thanks

A number of years ago, we hired a Lisbon based company that I found on the internet for a private tour that included a tour of Lisbon and Sintra. It was a great day, but unluckily I do not remember the name of the company.

I would suggest that you:

(1) Check your roll call to see if others are looking to put together a group to reduce the cost.

(2) Check the port of call board for recomendations

We toured with toursforyou in portugal and did the highlights of Lisbon and Sintra. I believe we were there on a Sunday. The traffic to go to the palace was horrendous so we never got there but we spent a few hours in the town and had lunch there.

It is very easy to get from Lisbon to Sintra on the train (there is at least one train per hour). You would need to use a taxi or public transit to get from your ship to the train station in Lisbon (Rossio Station is the right one for Sintra trains) , but the station in Sintra is within walking distance to the center of that delightful city. Personally we prefer to rent a car so we have maximum flexibility, but for just Sintra the train is a very good (and cost effective) option. The last time we used the train it was about 4 Euros (round trip) although we expect its a bit higher now.

Hank

We returned last week from a Western Mediterranean Cruise, and had arranged for a private car to meet us in Lisbon. It was most successful. We went to Sintra, Cascais and then back to the Gulbenkian Museum/Art Gallery in Lisbon, and back to the ship all in the time. We could possibly also have gone to Capo da Roca. The company we used was entirely flexible and just anxious to meet our wishes. The driver Pedro spoke excellent English and acted like a very good guide, not just a driver. In case you are interested the company was Lisbon Taxis lisbontaxis.com.pt. The cost per person for four of us was less than the ship's tour, and for more hours. -Mike

Easiest thing to do is taking a cab from dock (they are quite cheap in Lisbon) to Rossio station and train from there. Trip is 40 min, 1.95 euro o/w. Schedule is here (paste Rossio in Origem and Sintra - in Destino http://cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgnextoid=71b9f9e12a584010VgnVCM1000007b01a8c0RCRD

For Pena Palace & Moorish Castle http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/ take bus 434 (4.50 R/T) from rail station (they are quite far, on top of the hill), for Sintra Palace & Quinta De Regalera palace just walk 10 min to town.

Contact Alex at Top Ten Tours

lisbon@toptentours.eu

In Nov 2011 we visited Lisbon for a day on Princess and contracted Alex for a 5 hour private car tour of Sintra and Cascais. He picked us up at the ship and customized the trip for what we wanted to see - all for less than what the ship tour would have cost. He was very professional and knowledgable and we highly recommend him to all our friends going there.

When we were in Lisbon in December we had I think from 08:30 to 4:30. As mentioned previously we went with Pedro lisbontaxis.com.pt. We went to Sintra

and saw Quinta de la Regalia and the Park and Palace of Pena. Then we went to Cascais for leisurely lunch and we were still back in Lisbon by 2:30ish where we went to the Gubenkian Museum. So if you cut out the Museum you would have time for a nice tour,. Personally I would cut out Cascais, it isn't very special and there are many other upmarket seaside places to see around the world that are nicer. You could then have time for a nice lunch in Sintra. Pedro is very flexible and we spent just the time we felt like in each place and he was a mine of information along the way too. He even showed us inside a amazing hotel that was more like a old palace, and that we wouldn't have known about. - Mike

We will often drive over to Cascais and Estoril, but would agree with Mike's post that neither of these sea resort towns (they are very close to each other) are important places for a first-time tourist to the area. DW and I will often go to one of those shore towns for lunch and to stroll, but the site seeing is pretty typical of any sea resort town.

Hank

And another vote for omitting lunch in Cascais from the above itinerary. It's a recommended destination in tour books but I couldn't see what the fuss was about.

The Regaleira Palace (Quinta de la Regaleira) is a fairytale building set in a beautiful, manicured landscape and is a must-see if in Sintra. One needs to be comfortable with stairs and (excellent) hilly paths because the building and grounds occupy the side of a fairly steep valley. A similar mobility concern would apply to the Pena National Palace.

Back in July my family booked a van and driver for a Lisbon/Sintra day trip (6-7 hrs) through wehatetourismtours and enjoyed it immensely! One word of warning -if you book with them, be advised that their vehicles are very unconventional. We didn't realize this, and didn't know that our driver would be showing up in a spoof of a german police van! It wasn't until she saw us looking around lost, worried and concerned that she finally approached us and let us know that the vehicle wasn't really "official" but was a joke. Through the day we saw so much while inadvertantly getting history & geography lessons at the same time. Our driver Marta also gave personal insights and reflections on the current European economy and how it's effecting the Portugese. Marta tailored the trip to our preferences -I was determined to find a cork purse in Sintra, we wanted relax a little longer at our lunch picnic site, etc. My only regret is that we spent most of the morning in Lisbon before heading to the countryside and Sintra. Had I realized just how beautiful it was away from the city, we would have spent less time in Lisbon. We also really appreciated the perks included in booking with this company- a brief stop at a Sintra pastry shop, a free cherry brandy shot in a chocolate cup at a cozy shop, wonderful Portugese picnic and wine prepared by Marta at a "fairytale" spot (magnificent cork trees and gentle waterfall included!) and before heading back to cruise ship a stop at Belem for the world famous Belem Portugese custard tarts. An absolutely perfect day in a new country, with someone who felt like a good friend.

You have such a limited time to spend, you need to make the most of it!

I hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have just returned from our first ever cruise aboard Independence of the Seas and had an extremely memorable day in Lisbon with We Hate Tourism tours and I just wanted to thank those of you who recommended them.

I had visited Lisbon once before but wanted to be able to spend some time in Sintra, which is why we chose an independent company rather than opting for a ship excursion and we were not disappointed! The cost was around the same but much better value for money. We started off by exploring Belem (and were treated to some wonderful Pasties de Belem), then onto Cascais and Sintra (plenty of time to explore both). Due to the wonderful weather, our guide also included a stop at Cabo de Roca and then back to explore the City, Bairro Alto etc. Our guide was enthusastic, knowledgable, fun and loved his city. They met us at the ship and dropped us back at the port.

The other must do, if you have the opportunity, is get up early (around 6am) to enjoy the sunrise over 25 April Bridge on the approach into the port - well worth the early start!

Archived