Victoria, BC-What to do?

bowie123

The DH and I have enjoyed visits to the Butchart Gardens and Victoria Butterfly Gardens in the past. We are always looking for landscaping ideas so we found them interesting.

We were in Victoria on a cruise in May 2010. While we have visited the Royal British Columbia Museum in the past, we visited again and were again impressed.

The DH asked a museum staff member to recommend a good pub, and he recommended the Bard and Banker. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and beer. The Bard and Banker is an easy walk from the museum.

We decided to take the 1 hour bus tour, then shop and poke around. Traffic was heavy enough that the tour was a bit of a drag. And there were several ships in town that day, so the shops were stuffed to the point where it was hard to move around in them. Same with trying to see the street performers.

Not trying to be "Debbie Downer." If we were to go back on a ship again, I'd take a better/longer tour and not spend time around the shopping.

I can't decide what to do about this port. We are only here from 7:00 to 11:59 p.m. on our last night on the ship (Princess STAR). We have a late seating for dinner so that kind of puts us in 'no mans-land' for doing anything in Victoria IF we still want to enjoy a last dinner in the MDR or the ships entertainment.

Suggestions? I hate NOT to see the port at all. If nothing else, so I can say "I did!" ;)

I can't decide what to do about this port. We are only here from 7:00 to 11:59 p.m. on our last night on the ship (Princess STAR). We have a late seating for dinner so that kind of puts us in 'no mans-land' for doing anything in Victoria IF we still want to enjoy a last dinner in the MDR or the ships entertainment.

Suggestions? I hate NOT to see the port at all. If nothing else, so I can say "I did!" ;)

We're in the same position as you on the Westerdam. So we've sort of decided to forego our last dinner and stroll around town, and have dinner out in Victoria. We'll probably seek out something fun and simple like a pub, from where we can soak in the town in this limited amount of time.

We're in the same position as you on the Westerdam. So we've sort of decided to forego our last dinner and stroll around town, and have dinner out in Victoria. We'll probably seek out something fun and simple like a pub, from where we can soak in the town in this limited amount of time.

That's a good idea. I have done a TON of research for the other ports, but since this one is kinda of a 'throw away', I haven't done as much. I think I'll do some research on fun pubs.

Anyone else have a solution/suggestion/idea that I can be a 'copy-cat' and 'steal'? :D

Will be in port end of May? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It would be helpful if you indicated how long you're in port and what hours, as well as your interests. I LOVE Victoria! Butchart Gardens is incredible and I can easily spend a full day there. Also a great place for orca viewing tours. The Royal BC Museum and Maratime Museum are excellent. Google Victoria BC Visitor Information for options.

If you're in town for only a few hrs in the evening, just wander around the harbor; the views of the Parliament Bldgs and Empress Hotel are wonderful. If you go a few blocks back to the non tourist areas you'll find great pubs and fish 'n chip places.

It would be helpful if you indicated how long you're in port and what hours, as well as your interests. I LOVE Victoria! Butchart Gardens is incredible and I can easily spend a full day there. Also a great place for orca viewing tours. The Royal BC Museum and Maratime Museum are excellent. Google Victoria BC Visitor Information for options.

If you're in town for only a few hrs in the evening, just wander around the harbor; the views of the Parliament Bldgs and Empress Hotel are wonderful. If you go a few blocks back to the non tourist areas you'll find great pubs and fish 'n chip places.

We are in port 9-5:30. We enjoy anything that is relaxing! The pubs and fish n chips sound good to me!

Thanks for the specifics! We'll find those non-touristy pubs and take photos of the lovely buildings lit up at night. Sounds like a nice relaxing evening to end our cruise.

Ahh, Victoria pubs, you're in luck. Victoria has a very evolved beer community, and much better beer than anywhere else in Canada.

I would recommend the following, if you'd like a little taste of everything in town, but don't want to spend too much time/effort on a tour

Here's a suggestion of a small circle tour of Victoria;

1) exit cruise terminal, turn left, walk 5 blocks to fisherman's wharf.

2) Fish & Chips at Barb's Fish and Chips on Fisherman's wharf.

3) take Harbour Ferry from fisherman's Wharf to Spinnaker's brew-pub

4) Beer!

5) walk 1 block up to esquimalt Road, grab #6 bus (runs every 6-10 mins) back into downtown.

6) get off as soon as you go over the bridge (about a 1 mile), and go to Swan's brew-pub at the corner of Johnson and Store St

7) walk up to Douglas street, and grab a #31 bus back to the ship.

This should put it all in perspective

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.421113,-123.369942&spn=0.023269,0.055747

Any of the bus trips you could easily walk...

Ahh, Victoria pubs, you're in luck. Victoria has a very evolved beer community, and much better beer than anywhere else in Canada.

I would recommend the following, if you'd like a little taste of everything in town, but don't want to spend too much time/effort on a tour

Here's a suggestion of a small circle tour of Victoria;

1) exit cruise terminal, turn left, walk 5 blocks to fisherman's wharf.

2) Fish & Chips at Barb's Fish and Chips on Fisherman's wharf.

3) take Harbour Ferry from fisherman's Wharf to Spinnaker's brew-pub

4) Beer!

5) walk 1 block up to esquimalt Road, grab #6 bus (runs every 6-10 mins) back into downtown.

6) get off as soon as you go over the bridge (about a 1 mile), and go to Swan's brew-pub at the corner of Johnson and Store St

7) walk up to Douglas street, and grab a #31 bus back to the ship.

This should put it all in perspective

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.421113,-123.369942&spn=0.023269,0.055747

Any of the bus trips you could easily walk...

That's a GREAT little map! Thanks!! :)

Archived