Struggling with hotels in Rome

lori450

Thank you for all the feedback. It really is a question of cost, I guess. I had considered the Albergo Cesari as well.

It's down to: Albergo del Senato, Albergo Cesari, and Hotel Fiume. (I think..)

Hotel Lunetta appears to be comparable to Senato, but since everyone here raves about the Senato, I'm going to stick with that as my luxury option. Thank you.

I booked two tours with context tours ($$$$) but everyone raves about them and says it's worth the money.

Like many others who participate on this board, I've stayed at the del Senato and it is wonderful. I've also stayed nearby at the Cesari (web site here: http://www.albergocesari.it/italiano/hotel.htm) and it was also great, though a little less expensive as it is a block away from the Pantheon.

I went to visit friends staying at the Grand Hotel de la Minerve (http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com/) and it was beautiful, though I think they paid even more to stay there than I did at the del Senato.

There are many options in all price ranges, so many that it can feel overwhelming.

I'm so glad to hear that you stayed in both hotels. This is exactly was I was hoping for when I posted on the boards. Could you give us more detailed information about each hotel and the differences between them? It would REALLY help me make my decision. Thank you

the difference in price is 1156 Euros for the Senato and 736 Euros at the Cesari (that's the cost of the tours!)

Oh, the Minerve is more expensive as you said

When we were in Rome last Sept, we were at Hotel Piram, which is near the north side of Cavour St, close to Termini. Clean, larger rooms than normal, safe and easy to get around. You have Termini literally 3 minutes from the door, and you the forum area is about a 10-15 min walk.

My best friend went in November, and stayed at Hotel Fiume, and she said it was great. Also close to Termini, just a tiny bit more north.

When we were in Rome last Sept, we were at Hotel Piram, which is near the north side of Cavour St, close to Termini. Clean, larger rooms than normal, safe and easy to get around. You have Termini literally 3 minutes from the door, and you the forum area is about a 10-15 min walk.

My best friend went in November, and stayed at Hotel Fiume, and she said it was great. Also close to Termini, just a tiny bit more north.

Thank you! I have heard that it is noisier and further away from everything when near Termini station. did yo find that to be true?

Euro Cruiser,

i would love to hear the comparisons of the Senato vs. Cesari.

Thanks,

I'm not eurocruiser, but I have stayed at both.

The del Senato is located in a prime location on the Piazza della Rotonda. The Cesari is located just off of a smaller and quieter piazza, the Piazza della Pietra (with the fantastic remains of the Temple of Hadrian).

The rooms at the Albergo Cesari are not as large nor as richly decorated as those of the del Senato. On the other hand, it has an equally charming traditional Italian feeling. Both hotels have been recently renovated (e.g., fairly modern bathrooms). If I recall, the Cesari has a room category that is superior or deluxe, which have more charm but aren't necessarily larger.

The del Senato has a rooftop bar overlooking the Pantheon. At the Cesari, the rooftop has a bar but is also where breakfast is served, a nice feature. (At the del Senato, there is an interior breakfast room in the back of the ground floor.)

Neither hotel is particularly close to the metro but both are walkable to most anywhere in the historic area. They are only a few blocks apart, and the area around both has plenty of restaurants and shops. Del Senato is closer to Piazza Navona, while Cesari is closer to Trevi.

I don't think you could go wrong with either and I'd definitely stay at the Cesari again if I could not get a rate I was willing to pay at del Senato.

Thank you so much, Cynthia!

As you can see above, there is a significant difference in the prices. Since it will be the end of June, I think a rooftop breakfast and cheaper price would be nice. When you were at the Senato, did you actually spend time enjoying the view of the Pantheon (are the windows large enought to sit by and watch?) or was it just a brief look?

My head says Cesari, but my heart envisions a view of the Pantheon.

I have narrowed our choices (but am open to something proven) to three hotels and I am at a loss as to which one to go with. If anyone has any information on or has stayed in any of these hotels, I would love your advice.

Albergo del Senato

Hotel Lunetta

These are both much more expensive than I usually pay, but it seems like I get to choose location, quality of hotel, or if I want both... a big price. I am also considering Hotel Fiume which is half the price of the above.

I would like to stay in the heart of things and feel comfortable in my room at the end of a long day of walking/touring. But, (there's always a "but" isn't there?). I could take the money from the expensive hotel and use it on expensive tours (or I could just spend more money). But I would really love the advice of someone who has seen or had experience with the above hotels (again, or others they loved). I checked out Hotel Smeraldo as someone mentioned, but the reviews were mixed.

We are there on June 23 - June 27th and do have time to finalize our plans. Thanks for any advice or info.

We stayed there in May 2009 2 nights pre and 2 nights post Med Solstice cruise. We absolutely loved it. It was definitely worth the splurge! We had a Pantheon view room both times and it was so great watching people in the piazza in front of the Pantheon! Centrally located, we were able to walk everywhere. Lots of great casual (reasonable) restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. I loved the breakfast room (included)with the best cappucino....hotel's staff and rooms were all top notch and worth the money.

Have a great time!

Robin

Well, since you asked...;)

You do get lovely views from many of the Del Senato rooms. When I was most recently there (October), I had a single room with two lovely windows overlooking the Piazza della Rotonda. Here are a a couple of photos, one from my bedroom window at night, and one from my bathroom window in the morning:

P1040301.JPG

P1040155.JPG

I love that you can see the shadow of the Pantheon on the buildings across the Piazza.

I've stayed at the del Senato several times, but it's hard to top my first stay there in 2006, with my mom. We had a room on the 6th floor with our own private terrace running along the side of the hotel but with a stunning view as well. The terrace had lovely plants and was quite large -- we enjoyed it a lot, even in November. Here are a couple of photos:

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

OMG:eek: those photos are AMAZING!

thank you so much for taking the time to post them. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, spend the money and cut back at home for the next four months.

One last question (I promise :o) Is there a certain room I should request? We have a double room booked (for two). I can so see myself standing at the window mesmerized for hours. I know you said you had a single, but could you tell me the room number so I can judge where we could be. You view is perfect!

I have to say it again, the CC people are the best. There is no travel agent who could hold a candle to this group. I am proud to have been able to help others and am grateful to those who help me.

When we stayed at the Albergo del Senato they gave us room 204...... the only one on the front of the hotel with a large balcony. There are those up further with terraces but this is the only one with a balcony. We did not ask for it but it was truly a nice surprise when we walked thru the door and saw it.

I LOVED waking up early ( I always do on vacation for some reason :) and opening the huge wooden doors and the glass doors to the balcony. The piazza would be deserted except for one or two trucks making deliveries to the restaurants across the piazza. One of our favorites is the DiRienzo (the restaurant with the square white umbrellas in Cynthias picture). Then as we were having coffee (there are machines in each room) there would slowly be more and more people......locals going to work, a few early-bird tourists etc etc..... during mid day it was sometimes packed with people !!!! Then at night it took on a completely different feel. Locals out walking with their kids - many holding gelatos :) Then as the night progressed it got quieter and quieter.....until all was still...... I LOVED IT.

I would post a picture but I am on my laptop and they are all on my large computer. I have one that "peeks" out the window thru the balcony onto the Pantheon......which I could have tossed a pebble onto from it.......

I understand the desire to save the money, but there truly was nothing like staying there. Whatever you decide - you will be in Rome so it will be good !!!!

OMG:eek: those photos are AMAZING!

thank you so much for taking the time to post them. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, spend the money and cut back at home for the next four months.

One last question (I promise :o) Is there a certain room I should request? We have a double room booked (for two). I can so see myself standing at the window mesmerized for hours. I know you said you had a single, but could you tell me the room number so I can judge where we could be. You view is perfect!

I have to say it again, the CC people are the best. There is no travel agent who could hold a candle to this group. I am proud to have been able to help others and am grateful to those who help me.

I'm terrible at remembering room numbers (I travel a fair amount), but if you ask them for a room on the front facing the Piazza with a Pantheon view, you will be happy. (Note: they nearly always say that they will note your request but they cannot promise you a specific room.) I was on the 3rd floor, I believe.

One other suggestion -- I don't know how you reserved the room, but I suggest you email the hotel directly (using the email address on their website) and ask them for their best rate. They may possibly offer you something a little better.

I saved almost 100 Euros booking with Albergo del Senato directly. They had a special 15% discount if you stay at least three days and one is a Sunday Now I won't feel so guilty picking an expensive hotel.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I emailed the hotel and then went on their website where it offered 15% off. That synches it. We're going to stay there. I'm going to wait until morning to hear from them and then book it with them. Thank you all so much! Now I can relax with the hotel choice and start working (OK, playing with :p) on the rest of our plans.

ringraziarla così molto tutti!

(I looked it up - it says thank you very much everyone)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I emailed the hotel and then went on their website where it offered 15% off. That synches it. We're going to stay there. I'm going to wait until morning to hear from them and then book it with them. Thank you all so much! Now I can relax with the hotel choice and start working (OK, playing with :p) on the rest of our plans.

ringraziarla così molto tutti!

(I looked it up - it says thank you very much everyone)

I'm glad you were able to work it out. I never like to recommend that someone "bust their budget" to stay at a particular hotel, and I'm sure you'd enjoy your stay in Rome at either hotel you mentioned. On the other hand, there is something very special (to me at least) about the del Senato. :)

Although I have no interest in paying the prices for the hotels being considered here, I gave more thought to the location of our hotel. I checked Rick Steves' Italy 2012 and read reviews on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic. We are now booked at Hotel Smeraldo, near Campo de' Fiori, for only 5 euros/night more than our hotel near the Colosseum. Thank you to Lori for starting this thread, and to those who commented about the advantages of staying in this area of Rome.

Well, since you asked...;)

You do get lovely views from many of the Del Senato rooms. When I was most recently there (October), I had a single room with two lovely windows overlooking the Piazza della Rotonda. Here are a a couple of photos, one from my bedroom window at night, and one from my bathroom window in the morning:

P1040301.JPG

P1040155.JPG

I love that you can see the shadow of the Pantheon on the buildings across the Piazza.

I've stayed at the del Senato several times, but it's hard to top my first stay there in 2006, with my mom. We had a room on the 6th floor with our own private terrace running along the side of the hotel but with a stunning view as well. The terrace had lovely plants and was quite large -- we enjoyed it a lot, even in November. Here are a couple of photos:

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

We stayed in this same room. The room was #608 and I would definitely request it.

Thank you Bonnie. Which one is 608? The one with the balcony or the other one? Can you see the Piazza from it?

The photos of 608 would be the bottom two, the ones with a terrace and a side view (but can fully see Pantheon). You don't get the Piazza view though.

We are good to go. I emailed the hotel (Albergo del Senato) and they offered me a discount. We have booked with them for Euro 960,00 for four days (as opposed to Euro 1160,00 on booking dot com). Once again, thank you all for your help.

I was just about to post something a bit more negative about del Senato and then up popped your 960 Euros posting. If you got the del Senato for that price in June for four nights, you have made the right choice.

We stayed there in May on the fifth floor I believe (Juliet balcony overlooking the Pantheon) and loved the location. But I did think it was pricey for the size of the room. It is updated and nicely decorated and the bathroom is modern. But both rooms are quite snug. We did have drinks a couple of nights on the roofdeck which we loved. But it was too windy two of the nights so we had drinks on the Piazza (also nice but subject to the smoking habits of passersby).

When we go back to Rome pre-cruise in June, we are staying at Canali i Coronari nearby. WE need two rooms (travelling with our teens) and del Senato was more than I was willing to spend.

While many people rave about the staff (and many of them are lovely), I wouuld say to be a bit careful about the restaurants they recommend. Mauro turned his nose down at any restaurant I suggested from what I'd read on tripadvisor. So we went with one of his suggestions and it was just o.k. Clearly they are taken care of by the restaurants they suggest.

Archived