Best of Cartegana

weston gal

We will be in Cartegena in a couple of weeks on Celebrity Equinox. We booked this tour with the ship. Does anyone know how much walking is involved? My husband is 75 and walks with a cane. He is a little slow, and may need a little rest after an hour or so. Is any of it uphill or Is it flat?

I have not been on this particular tour, but we did visit Cartegena when we cruised on the Island Princess.

The most difficult part of our tour was walking up to the top of the San Felipe Fortress, but you are only making a photo stop here, so that will not be a problem. The streets in the Old City are not uphill/downhill, but they are cobblestone which are difficult to walk on. Your husband will probably want to stick to the sidewalks (which your tour guide may do anyway) as much as possible.

I am somewhat concerned by the length of the tour (3.75 hours) and this note at the end of the description of this tour: "Note: The sightseeing portion in the old town requires extended periods of walking and standing." You may want to contact Celebrity for more info about this portion of the tour or consider taking one that doesn't require so much walking and standing.

The city itself is flat but can have some high curbs and as noted lots of cobblestones. That said, the tour will probably include a few missions and churches which will offer a place to sit for a few moments.. Absolute worst case you can probably break off and get a cab back to the port after notifying the tour guide.

Honestly I'd be more concerned about the heat and humidity on an older person. We're in our 30s and 40s and it took a bit out of us in October. Bring plenty of water.

We will be in Cartegena in a couple of weeks on Celebrity Equinox. We booked this tour with the ship. Does anyone know how much walking is involved? My husband is 75 and walks with a cane. He is a little slow, and may need a little rest after an hour or so. Is any of it uphill or Is it flat?

Archived