Not excited about FunShip 2.0?

me-n-kev

Ok, am I the only one who isn't excited about FunShip 2.0?

Was on the Magic this past week (review coming), and while enjoying a burger and what I think are the best fries in the world (I probably had more fries last week than I did in the last 6 months, and yes, we usually end up at McWendKingCastle at least once a week), I had a revelation that by the next cruise, the grill will be gone replaced by some Guy I never heard of with gourmet burgers and overseasoned fat fries.

Can't comment on the comedy club, so don't know how that will change things, nor the DJ.

I can understand Red Frog (and I'm not a drinker) as its a "carnival-only" thing. But all I can see about the other changes is additional expense (we pay for it one way or another) for a diminished product?

Kevin

Yup...I think you're the only one. I think it all looks pretty cool. If I had known when I booked my cruise, I would have gone with the Liberty for sure. I'm a sports loving guy...but I do watch Guy's shows on the Food Network.

Was on the Magic this past week (review coming), and while enjoying a burger and what I think are the best fries in the world (I probably had more fries last week than I did in the last 6 months, and yes, we usually end up at McWendKingCastle at least once a week), I had a revelation that by the next cruise, the grill will be gone replaced by some Guy I never heard of with gourmet burgers and overseasoned fat fries.

Can't comment on the comedy club, so don't know how that will change things, nor the DJ.

I can understand Red Frog (and I'm not a drinker) as its a "carnival-only" thing. But all I can see about the other changes is additional expense (we pay for it one way or another) for a diminished product?

Kevin

I'm with you on this one... I love that each ship has it's own "feel" to it. The different restaurants, bars, etc. are what makes each ship different. Yes, the Carnival "brand" is apparent throughout the ship - but unlike a chain fast food restaurant, I can tell the difference between every ship.

I'm afraid that with the new 2.0 upgrades, the ships will feel too cookie cutter. I hope I'm wrong!

I'm a non-drinker, so that aspect of it doesn't interest me, and we've been making Guy's burgers forever (we have all of his cook books); that being said, we're on the Liberty later this year...but only because of the itinerary! ;)

Kevin

Guess So we booked the Liberty as soon as the changes were announced , just sorry we couldnt go until Nov. even booked the Lido deck so I wont have far to go to enjoy all of the new bars and food.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away too long - they are doing away with the grill completely??!!?? My DH will be so upset, and me too for that matter. We like the burgers and the skinny, unseasoned fries. :( I can understand adding the additional venue, but I hope they keep the "generic" grill.

I'm afraid that with the new 2.0 upgrades, the ships will feel too cookie cutter. I hope I'm wrong!

I think Carnival is already too cookie cutter. One ship or another, I dont see much difference. Too much sameness, and I find myself getting bored, so have to mix it up with other lines I have to fly to.

If I do too many Carnival in a row, I come home feeling like nice .. but getting a bit too much sameness/boring. Not that Im going to stop cruising. I would just like a little more differences from one ship to another.

Just got back from a Liberty cruise this past Saturday. The upgrades were terrific!!! The old bars on the lido deck under the stairs were always under-utilized it seemed. This cruise, the new bars always had people around them with being out in the open. You could sit at the bars and lookout onto the Lido and it was fun! On most days they had someone singing/playing guitar around the new bars which was nice. It gave more life to the lido deck in the afternoon/evening hours. The new burgers were much better than the old burgers and the fries were just as good. I don't like spicey foods so I asked without seasoning and I was able to get them. The new Alchemy bar was also a nice addition. The cucumber drink was really good, I highly recommend it! Not into sports but we did cruise through the new sports bar and its a good place to watch the games, tvs everywhere! The new burrito bar was good as well. It also seems that the flow through all the food venues was better. I figured the new places would be packed, never had to wait more than a couple of minutes and the ship sailed FULL. We loved the Liberty before, we love it more now!!!

Archived