Houston traffic on a Monday

nlt46

This is my first 4 day cruise out of Galveston. We've always done the 7; so, we came through on a Saturday and then again on Sunday. We never had any traffic to speak of. But this time we will be going through Houston on a Monday. We will be heading north. What will we be facing? Will it just be like Dallas traffic or worse? Is there a tole road that we should consider?

Thanks,

Nancy

This is my first 4 day cruise out of Galveston. We've always done the 7; so, we came through on a Saturday and then again on Sunday. We never had any traffic to speak of. But this time we will be going through Houston on a Monday. We will be heading north. What will we be facing? Will it just be like Dallas traffic or worse? Is there a tole road that we should consider?

Thanks,

Nancy

We left Galveston at 1pm on Monday Jan 9th, and it was smooth sailing(driving) all the way to IAH. Our shuttle driver says the traffic doesn't start until after 2:30pm. We were driving through torential rains also, and alot of the roads were flooded.

Not sure if this helps, but I assume anytime between 10 and 2 would be okay, assuming no major accidents.

Monday or Wednesday will be the same unless there is an accident. Rush hours are same in Houston as in Dallas. Coming down i45 to Houston go thru town if not rush hour or if during rushours take toll road beltway 8 east or take 610 loop east back to I45 south then to Galveston . Look at map

Thanks ssb. I've seen exits for a toll road, and I think once I accidently took it, but the last 4 or 5 time, I haven't taken it. I'll check out a map to see exactly where it is, etc. I did think that the traffic might be different depending on which way you were headed.. either going north or south, but as you say... it must all be the same.

Nancy

pdficon.gifHouston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metrodotline.gifpdficon.gifGalveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient):

Galveston (B&W)

Galveston (Color Hi-Resolution)

I45 thru town is more direct route and traffic shouldn't be bad during the day (non rush)

The toll road Beltway 8 on the east side of Houston

has been greatly improved with completed construction!

If you Google "Houston real-time traffic", you will be led to the Transtar online traffic map. If you have a way to check right as you reach Houston or before you leave Galveston, it can help you decide which route is best.

Also, if you have an electronic toll tag for the Dallas area toll roads, it most likely will work on the Houston ones as well.

If your going north from Galveston isnt there a commuter lane and it should be open going towards Houston in the AM. Not sure how far it will take you . We have to go to MD Anderson the morning we get back so thats what we will do.

If you Google "Houston real-time traffic", you will be led to the Transtar online traffic map. If you have a way to check right as you reach Houston or before you leave Galveston, it can help you decide which route is best.

Also, if you have an electronic toll tag for the Dallas area toll roads, it most likely will work on the Houston ones as well.

Wow!! Thanks for all the great info. I do have a toll tag, and my GPS does traffic updates, and there will be 4 of us; so, this information is very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nancy

Coming in on I-10 from San Antonio inbound to Galveston, is it any better to take 610 southbound around to I-45 south instead of going through the center of town?

Depends on the day of the week and the time of day. On a week day, DON'T do 610 - the part through the Galleria area is a mess. 610 at 59 is always on the list of the 10 most congested roads in the country!

Depends on the day of the week and the time of day. On a week day, DON'T do 610 - the part through the Galleria area is a mess. 610 at 59 is always on the list of the 10 most congested roads in the country!

If from Dallas

look at map....610 loop circles Houston and notice there is a 610 east west north and south . yes West is by galleria and is busy but east loop and east beltway 8 are on other side of Houston and the 2 options I was speaking of!

Thank you for that information! What about Beltway 8 on a weekday? You can pay cash on that one right? (We do not have toll passes.)

If you are driving I10, just stay on and connect with 45S to Galveston in Houston.

The shortest distance between 2 points is still a straight line.

I believe Beltway 8 goes too far out of the way unless you are coming from the airport. Yes, you can use cash.

There is no saving in time and the distance is greater.

Beltway 8 during rush hours without toll sticker can be frustrating.

But doable! Probably faster than thru downtown route.

Sometimes long lines though for pay cash lanes.

From Galveston for us during day non rush hours ,

we go straight thru downtown usually without problems

going west towards I-10 San Antonio

or north towards I-45 Dallas

or 59 North to Bush IAH.

Its always circumstancial in any big city.

As you can see my wife (Galveston Cruiser) are generally saying same thing.

pdficon.gifHouston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metrodotline.gif

Archived