Montego Bay excursion?

TakeAHike

First cruise in April!! Our port excursions have been easy to decide upon, with the exception of Montego Bay. We are a family of 4 with two teen daughters. My husband and I honeymooned in Negril, so we really have seen Jamaica. We have eliminated Dunns River Falls due to the long bus ride and anticipated hoards of people. I am leaning towards a beach day, but don't want to spend the $$ to sit at a resort. Any ideas for a relatively inexpensive, SAFE way to experience the flavor of the country and spend some time at a beach?

First cruise in April!! Our port excursions have been easy to decide upon, with the exception of Montego Bay. We are a family of 4 with two teen daughters. My husband and I honeymooned in Negril, so we really have seen Jamaica. We have eliminated Dunns River Falls due to the long bus ride and anticipated hoards of people. I am leaning towards a beach day, but don't want to spend the $$ to sit at a resort. Any ideas for a relatively inexpensive, SAFE way to experience the flavor of the country and spend some time at a beach?

I'd suggest Doctor's Cave beach. It's about 3 miles from the cruise terminal (about five bucks/person cab ride... negotiable, of course!) and five bucks/person to get in. Beautiful beach and not overly crowded.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

You can rent umbrellas and beach chairs if you want. Food and drinks are available and aren't really very pricey.

Just down the street, about 1/4 mile, is Margaritaville... always a great time!

You don't have to worry about transportation as there's always a line of cabs right out front. Just remember to make sure your cab has a red, JUTA license plate. Only those vehicles are authorized to operate as cabs.

By the way, the best location for inquiries of this type is the Ports of Call board. Here's a link to the one for Jamaica:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

I'll be moving this thread there once I'm sure you've gotten back here to read the replies.

:)

Thanks for the pictures Mach- we are going to Doctor's Cave but sailing there with these folks http://www.jamaicawatersports.com/cruise.htm. (Bottom excursion). I love the idea of doing some snorkeling on the way and the prices are pretty good- it includes admission to the beach. And I understand that it is a short walk to Margharitaville from Doctor's Cave beach. On sidewalks I believe.

Mach, is the walk to Margaritaville fairly easy to do (understand the distance, just wondering about whether or not climbing over rocks etc was involved)?

Jim[/quote

Just walk out to the street, and the walk is quite easy. You will be approached about cab rides and marijuana, but just say no thank you, and keep walking. You won't be hassled. When we took the walk, we also saw several police officers along the way. If I remember right, it's about 15 minutes or so...

Jamaica is my favorite port despite the bad press...

Archived