Tooth Whitening at the Spa

mktmzm

Well, except for the Radiance ClassThermal Suite, I try to stay out of the RC spas, as I'm not wild about Steiner and their "hard-sell" tactics. But, I certainly would avoid having anything done in any on-board spa that I requires a licensed professional on land -- to include teeth whitening and acupuncture!

I just had this done locally....and I was surprised that they advised for 48 hours afterward I should not eat any non white food to prevent staining. Essentially they recommended only skim milk, white rice, clear jello and cauliflower. Not my idea of how to spend two days of my cruise!!

Check out the Cruise Critic article currently on the Home page- '13 things not to do on your first cruise'. Teeth whitening is one of them. And I agree with wwcruisers post, leave it to a professional back home.

Before our last cruise 2 years ago I'd had my teeth whitened at my dentists surgery. Before he did it I had to have a thorough check up and a cleaning to make sure all tartar and plaque was removed. It was amazing how white they became and everybody noticed.

My husband and sister paid the same amount of money on board the Liberty of the Seas to have their teeth whitened. To be honest there wasn't much difference and nobody noticed when they got home - they had to ask people if they could tell! Also, it left my sister's teeth with obvious tartar marks that were quite unslightly, and she wasn't told that a crowned tooth near the front of her mouth would not white no matter how good the whitening procedure took on the other teeth.

What they also don't tell you is that after it's done, they then tell you that you really need to buy a 2 week supply of little whitening capsule to take away with you to maximize the effect. These cost a lot of money.

My advice is the same as others - have it done professionally at home.

I am very skeptical of any tooth whitening procedure, whether done at the dentist, onboard the ship or at home. How does this affect your enamel long term? I'd rather not end up with whiter, but weaker teeth as a result!

I am very skeptical of any tooth whitening procedure, whether done at the dentist, onboard the ship or at home. How does this affect your enamel long term? I'd rather not end up with whiter, but weaker teeth as a result!

I am a dentist, in practice for over 15 years. Whitening does not "weaken enamel". However, it makes me shudder to think that this is done by anyone other than a properly trained dental professional. There are SO many reasons why you should never consider doing this while on a cruise. Some of the PP have listed some of them above. I will not list them or get into a debate about it. Just DON'T DO IT, Please!!! That is all that I will comment on the subject. Off of my soap box now.......

Archived