Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

It looks like others are questing the Turkish website exact AIS positions including a commenter on that site. I would be shocked if the "Costa Concordia" actually would attempt traveling between the rocks in such shallow waters with no room for error. Note christi1805 comments below on the German TV: "So this theory suggests that the ship just hit the most outward of the 2 rocks."

Here is a link to the chart (Chart 53135):

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/Charts/chartViewer.html?viewRegion=5&viewChart=Porto-Santo-Stefano-and-Approaches

I was looking at the photos of the large gash that runs that last 25% or so of the vessel towards the stern on the port side, this being the least beamy part of the vessel and might suggest that the vessel was turning away from the "rock(s)" at the last moment. If the ship was travelling along a straight course one would have thought the gash would be at least mid-ship.

I was not talking about his navigational decisions!!!!

And we do not know exactly what time he left the ship nor the circumstances.

If he left an hour after the grounding, how? In what boat?

If he remained on the bridge how would any passeners or crew know where or what he is doing?

If he got off as you say, one hour after the grounding then he will be cruicified but we just don't know what he was doing.

A French couple who boarded the Concordia in Marseille, Ophelie Gondelle and David Du Pays of Marseille, told The Associated Press they saw the captain in a lifeboat, covered by a blanket, well before all the passengers were off the ship. They insisted on telling a reporter what they saw, so incensed that - according to them - the captain had abandoned the ship before everyone had been evacuated.

"The commander left before and was on the dock before everyone was off," said Gondelle, 28, a French military officer.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/15/third-survivor-rescued-stricken-cruise-ship/

One think I do not understand is that there are several accounts of survivors who have said they have not been in touch with Costa and one case where they hadn't given their names to anybody until back on the mainland.

How exactly is the estimate number of those missing been determined?

Well thanks for the update. Question is though whether Titan Salvage will still have the contract after you posted all this in here.:eek: Carnival won't like family members of the salvage folks to post any details on cruise critic, that's for sure. Suggest to delete your post... and not post any further updates from him....

He said it was fine. He's not telling me anything everyone shouldn't know. He's one of the main people in the company and is ok with me posting on here. And it's not like he's telling me details about how the ship went down. And everything he's told me so far is all preliminary because it's only 48 hours after.

Here's the area of the Garmin chart which shows where Concordia hit the rocks.

chart.jpg

Study this, look at the scale, and note the width of Concordia of 112'. If indeed this was the passage, this was incredibly reckless. Having additional damage on the starboard side would also be likely.

sounds like Carnival corp will then transfer Carnival Splendor (identical to Concordia) over to Costa to fill the gap. Revenues in the Med are much higher than LA to Cabo... Carnival Spirit could then remain at LA replacing Splendor while delaying the launch of Carnival's Australia program for a year or two...

What did you mean sounds like? Did you hear something or just guessing?

As an objective observer (not on the ship), I think the Captain did a phenomenal job in reducing the hazards at hand… most important of which was getting the ship to shallow waters for evacuation. It is a miracle that the loss of life wasn’t more than has been reported so far. Yes, he was on the bridge when the ship struck the rock. And he acted accordingly to minimize the consequences, IMO.

How people react during a true emergency shows one’s character. I was appalled & embarrassed to read of the immediate whining of certain passengers wanting immediate Princess treatment from Costa Cruise lines. It takes TIME to gather the resources necessary to take care of survivors. I applaud the generosity of the people on Giglio in opening their homes to strangers!

If I had to be on a ship that went down, I’d choose this one over the Titanic…and this Captain to be the one making the decisions. No, I wasn’t there & I don’t know all the facts. Until then, innocent until proven guilty. As far as the unfortunate passengers, it had to be a positively terrifying experience & I’m sure that as adrenaline begins to fade, most will begin to be thankful & see more objectively. One would hope. As one would also hope that they’d all be compensated accordingly, without lawyers involved. In a just world, so it would be.

As an objective observer (not on the ship), I think the Captain did a phenomenal job in reducing the hazards at hand… most important of which was getting the ship to shallow waters for evacuation. It is a miracle that the loss of life wasn’t more than has been reported so far. Yes, he was on the bridge when the ship struck the rock. And he acted accordingly to minimize the consequences, IMO.

How people react during a true emergency shows one’s character. I was appalled & embarrassed to read of the immediate whining of certain passengers wanting immediate Princess treatment from Costa Cruise lines. It takes TIME to gather the resources necessary to take care of survivors. I applaud the generosity of the people on Giglio in opening their homes to strangers!

If I had to be on a ship that went down, I’d choose this one over the Titanic…and this Captain to be the one making the decisions. No, I wasn’t there & I don’t know all the facts. Until then, innocent until proven guilty. As far as the unfortunate passengers, it had to be a positively terrifying experience & I’m sure that as adrenaline begins to fade, most will begin to be thankful & see more objectively. One would hope. As one would also hope that they’d all be compensated accordingly, without lawyers involved. In a just world, so it would be.

Good post! I share your logic.;)

Study this, look at the scale, and note the width of Concordia of 112'. If indeed this was the passage, this was incredibly reckless. Having additional damage on the starboard side would also be likely.

Also note the Concordia's draft:

Draught: 8.50 m (27 ft 11 in) Draft: 7.8 m (25 ft 7 in)

Almeno si ha un senso dell'umorismo;) Potrete apprezzare il vostro interesse nel forum. Per uno e apprezzo l'input. Basta essere consapevoli del fatto che andrà a rappresentare gli Stati Uniti d'America con le conoscenze e le tue parole. Tu non sei fuori tema, solo venire fuori un po ' forte per la maggior parte. È meglio che si scelgono le tue parole sagge comandare il rispetto che hai imparato e guadagnato. In caso contrario, è stato per nothng. Sì e anche questioni di ortografia. MAD MOLTO BELLO.

;) good deal

Grazie per il tuo commento. Sarò più attento con le mie parole e il mio italiano non è buono.

Also note the Concordia's draft:

Draught: 8.50 m (27 ft 11 in) Draft: 7.8 m (25 ft 7 in)

One possibility (to add to the thousand other conjectures) is that he was deliberately trying to run her aground between the two rocks to stop her listing too far in either direction, but for some peculiar reason she went through.

The Italian Press (probably no more, nor less reliable than anyone else's)

are reporting that the Concordia is a Total Loss. I guess time will tell.....

I never saw it any other way than a complete write-off.

They'll cut her up and take the bits away on big barges.

Recycle the steel.

Most folks have NO idea what 2 months submergence in salt water does to things..

Before congratulating the crew on rescuing the passengers, listen to passenger accounts as to how there was little if any emergency drills prior to the tragedy. Also, the captain is being charged for manslaughter?:mad:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. From "live" and/or "first hand accounts" it sounds like the crew didn't have a clue as to what to do in a real life emergency, or, to be fair, any direction from the ship's officers. It also sounds as if a lot of the evacuation was driven by passengers. If the Captain indeed got off the ship (and I can't help but wonder how he got off in the first place!!) before all cabins had been searched, well...I have no words for that.:(:mad: As we all know, the crew will not be able to voice their opinions and I am sure that the majority of them were as afraid as the pax.

We cruise often, and I guess in our simple, trusting, always go to the muster drill mentality, we "assumed" (yes, I know what happens when you "assume"!!!) that there would always be informed crew, staff and officers guiding us to where we needed to go. 'Cos if the muster station you are supposed to report to is already underwater, what the heck do you do then? You rely on the ship staff to guide you........duh!! My thoughts and blessings to ALL involved.

Lynda

In my entire life I have never heard of any officer taking out an insurance policy on his license. And if you were found guilty of negligence why would Lloyds pay you anything?

The inference was the Captains carry a policy because any screw up by his deckofficers cost him his license.

Archived