Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Seeing the night vision footage, whether the night vision was fake or not, showed people able to sit on the side of the ship for LONG times waiting to be rescued.

I have to say this is one thing the captain did do right -- to head to shallow waters once the ship started having major problems. That probably saved the lives of a good 1000 people. Can you imagine what this would have looked like if they were in deep waters? The ship would have sunk with people on it, or people would have been in freezing waters for hours, possibly dying that way.

It sounds like the captain was at fault in the first place, but I suppose he has to be given credit for heading as close to the island as he could so that the people on the ship could be rescued...

Otherwise, probably thousands would have died.

Katherine

Thanks for this. I still am not convinced the first video is real and have sent a note to ABC asking them to confirm it is from the Italian Coast Guard. The second video fits with what would be expected from a cold vessel. I wish it had person's image in it to confirm that it would be lighter. Of course, it is possible that the night vision being shown of the Concordia is a photo negative.

I am not outright stating that the video is fake, but that I think it is. If I am wrong, so be it. I don't know anyone who has never been wrong. Except maybe my wife. ;)

From Reuters

Passengers say there were long delays in sending an SOS and organising the evacuation of those on board and this had resulted in chaos. More than 60 people were hurt.

Italian passengers told newspapers they used their mobile phones to call the Carabinieri police in the city of Grosseto on the mainland to raise the alarm, while the crew were still insisting to them that there was only an electrical fault.

It also depends on what method of night vision is used. Light amplification might have been in play as well as some others besides thermal.

Thanks for this. I still am not convinced the first video is real and have sent a note to ABC asking them to confirm it is from the Italian Coast Guard. The second video fits with what would be expected from a cold vessel. I wish it had person's image in it to confirm that it would be lighter. Of course, it is possible that the night vision being shown of the Concordia is a photo negative.

I am not outright stating that the video is fake, but that I think it is. If I am wrong, so be it. I don't know anyone who has never been wrong. Except maybe my wife. ;)

Looks from the news reports now the issue wasn't so much a fly-by as a daringly aggressive or botched one by shaving far too close to the island - a place where the locals well-knew there was a reef. Yes it had been done before without mishap, just not so close. Yes I can sprint blindfolded across a busy freeway - making to the other side doesn't mean it is smart or safe. Human misjudgement leads to tragedy.

So sorry for anybody who has been injured in any way. Appallingly bad, seemingly criminal judgement.

Brings to my mind two other tragedies - the military pilot who tried to fly under the Italian alpine cable car and snapped the cable with his tail (a US military flier?), and here in British Columbia a few years ago a large car ferry went down with loss of life when the deck officers didn't notice they had veered off course and hit a rock reef, promptly sank - rumour has it the watch officer was in the midst of a torrid affair with a female crew member who was up on the bridge at the time, and one can imagine what might have distracted him from his sworn and solemn duty to the ship and the souls aboard.

There are other examples where human misjudgement or misadventure has breached the immense trust of the travelling public - airline pilots flying impaired by alcohol, emotionally distraught pilots trying to intentionally crash. To me something like this isn't a hugely different event from the dangerous risks taken by businessmen and politicians in recent financial fiascos that destroyed people's financial lives. What is most notable is the huge numbers of endangered passengers, the growing total of the victims killed.

The comparisons to the Titanic might be cliche, but wasn't pride and ego the seed of that disaster too? Steaming in fog at night after having received reports of ice.

If as it now appears the Captain took a stupid risk for purely egotistical reasons, while I condemn it and expect he will be and should be severely punished, I can even pity how his life is no doubt now destroyed. No wonder he lost his grip. It sounds as though he acted as best he could in the critical moments after the ship was holed though. And nothing but respect for the crew who got most of the passengers safely off under tremendous duress.

Looking at the pictures of the empty davits they managed to get a large number of the lifeboats launched.

Sad all around.

I recall the advice I had from an old sailor when I got my first cruising sailboat: "Never, never compromise the safety of the vessel for the enjoyment or comfort of the passengers or crew."

I missed that video when it was posted earlier! There is also a longer version, really makes me shudder to think what these people went through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE&feature=related

Edit to add: It also shows how high the ship was in the water initially and how it has really receded. The view of the bow really shows the difference dramatically.

That's just crazy. In that video, you can actually see some smoke/exhaust still coming out of the stack. You can also see many people on the nearby rocks (swimmers I'd guess.)

---

regarding the picture - it really makes me wonder where those who were still in the ship could stay to be safe at that angle. I mean if they were lucky enough to have a wall beside them they'd have that now as a floor, but getting anywhere would be near impossible. Still holding out hope there are others in there just waiting for the rescuers to find them.

From someone identifying himself as the GRM

It is not true that the captain was first to leave the ship. I was on the last boat and he remained attached to the railing of deck 3, while the ship was sinking. Shame on you incompetent journalists who wrote that he was the first to leave!

The spin has begun. If the authorities have arrested the Capt for abandoning his ship, he sure as heck wasn't hanging onto the railing as the ship went over. You don't get arrested for nearly going down with your ship.

As I said when this was posted earlier, while I have my doubts about the captain (and in those conditions it could have very easily been another officer she saw), I am completely comfortable with her description of passenger behavior AND her overall point. While there were notable issues, at the moment the death toll is at 6. Out of 4000. Some of that has to be attributed to the crew's actions.

The ones who did their jobs properly are not the ones the media will focus on. No story there.

From someone identifying himself as the GRM

The spin has begun. If the authorities have arrested the Capt for abandoning his ship, he sure as heck wasn't hanging onto the railing as the ship went over. You don't get arrested for nearly going down with your ship.

Chilling, unforgiveable and infuriating if true.

We know a mayday call was sent out and before that article seems to claim any warning occurred because the AIS models show all of the boats in the surrounding area heading directly for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is a good point. Is anyone aware of the inflatable rafts being used at all?? I sometimes think I would rather be in a liferaft than one of the lifeboats. Every cruiseship I have been on has tender boats (which double as lifeboats). These boats are meant to seat many people ( eg 150) - but with the increasing size/weight of western people today, I would hate to be on one with a FULL load of passengers.

Barry

LOL!!!!!! I think that's a world wide issue, not just a western. Although I admit my arse has grown as I age!

This chart just extracted from the BBC's website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16576979

Concordia_route_464.gif

The yellow line shows Costa's approved route

the orange line shows where Costa Concordia travelled.

Draw your own conclusions...

I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally wish they would have put on here time references. When did it hit the rock, BEFORE or AFTER the deviation from the path? Where in the deviation? Hitting it by the last arrow on the left is totally different even than hitting it in the first arrow after the turn. Going "slightly" closer is different than licking the rocks.

Sick as a dog, thanks!

I will go with the coast guard on this one!

And as far as the crew goes, I am sure in parts of the ship, they were working their tails off to help the guests.. But in other parts of the ship no so much... Kwim? We will hear very different story's as time goes on.

The Coast Guard didn't officially say they called him back three times - that was an "eye witness report" that said it. All the Coast Guard has officially said (that I've seen) is that he left before the last passengers left.

Here is my input on that part. Obviously he left before the last *official* passengers got off because there are still people on board. However - I can see if the stories we are hearing are true that he was on board until the last life boat was launched why he would say that they were all gone because being the last lifeboat - he may have been told by his crew that they were gone (or almost nearly and the remaining few were being taken care of). I don't expect him to manually search the entire ship by himself, and if he was told that the passengers were 99% off and the remaining few were being taken care of by his crew - I could see that as a moment that he would leave. (As you can see, the people left on board in that video separated into small pods of people - if the captain left from the other side of the ship - how would he know?) I WOULD NOT expect that man to still be on the ship now four days later. Sorry, I just wouldn't. I think the "left before the last passenger was off" maybe should not be taken completely literally.

For me, personally, if he left after 99% of the passengers were off board and was assured the remaining ones were being assisted offboard or picked up by the helicopter - I would be ok with him leaving then. But if he left in the first 1000 passengers... well then... I'd have a serious issue. I guess it really depends on the time and conditions in which he left, to me.

If the captain waited for the last lifeboat, on which someone who spoke in a public forum said they saw folks still on the ship, the captain would have known full well he was leaving pax/crew on the ship while leaving. Guilty feelings should made him at least pull those last folks into the lifeboat...

If the captain waited for the last lifeboat, on which someone who spoke in a public forum said they saw folks still on the ship, the captain would have known full well he was leaving pax/crew on the ship while leaving. Guilty feelings should made him at least pull those last folks into the lifeboat...

What if it were already near full and the Helicopters were already taking people off the ship as he left - there for assured they were going to make it off fine? I think he'd serve a better purpose on the lifeboat calming or helping people (or even navigating, etc) than on the helicopter.

Like I said, it really depends on the circumstance to me. There are so many factors here we just don't know.

Which is a good point. Is anyone aware of the inflatable rafts being used at all?? I sometimes think I would rather be in a liferaft than one of the lifeboats. Every cruiseship I have been on has tender boats (which double as lifeboats). These boats are meant to seat many people ( eg 150) - but with the increasing size/weight of western people today, I would hate to be on one with a FULL load of passengers.

Barry

I guess you've never been on the first (or last) tender? Packed to the gills and everyone's got their towels and water bottles and pocketbooks, etc. Lifeboats/tenders are safe. At least as safe as the guy/gal driving them.

I'm just trying to say that there's a huge difference between being the 1200 person off board and being the 3800th. I don't expect him to search every room making sure every single person is off board, and I don't expect him to still be on board now until the remaining 16 missing people are found. I can't make myself take the "last off the ship" thing literally in this situation.

Another problem with these mega-ships. On Queen Mary 2 ( the only mega-ship I have been on), after a week of sailing, I actually lost some weight. Why? because of the amount of walking I did on her just getting around!! So, if your cabin is at the extreme end of the ship, fore or aft, down low - and you just happen to be in part of the ship along way away, when the whistle blows, we are told to go to our cabins and get our lifejackets . WELL - on QM2, it can take a good 20 minutes just to walk to your cabin - possibly down 7-8 flights of stairs and a 300 metre walk along a very long corridor. And that is for a relatively fit and young person - some of the cruiseship passengers are so old, infirm or obese, they could not even do that!

Barry

Which is why they also have hundreds of lifejackets in the theater, lounges, near the life rafts, in the dining room, etc etc, etc.

This article has a graphic that looks like a reasonable supposition of what happened - too close a fly-by, hits rocks at 9:30 pm within 300m of shore ... etc.,.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/16/costa-concordia-captain-carried-out-unapproved-manoeuvre-company-boss-says-as-weather-halts-wreck-search/

And in fairness to the Captain, he denies he was too close to shore.

This is from one of the many marine sites that are found on the net, it is a reliable one. (www. vessel tracker dot com)

Rescue operations have resumed in the evening of Jan 16 in hopes of finding those still missing on the "Costa Concordia". The operations had been suspended for several hours after the vessel shifted in rough seas. Sixteen people are still unaccounted for, including two Americans an 10 Germans. There are increasing concerns that any further movement of the wreck could cause some of the 2380 tons of fuel on board to leak into the pristine waters off the island. If the hole in the hull had been four or five metres further along it would have punctured the tanksThe waters are a protected dolphin sanctuary. 20 workers from Smit Salvage travelled to Giglio on Jan 16 to co-ordinate the operation. A representative from US-based Titan Salvage, who was also on Giglio, said the contract could run into the millions of Euros. The wreck, however, is very close to the edge of much deeper water and the waves could push it off its resting place and it could sink entirely. So the fuel pumped out of the ship by hot tapping will be replaced by water in the tanks to ensure that the ship remained stable. So far only very few oil was spilt.

unquote

I'm going to wrap up my time here, I'm certain all eyes will be dry upon my departure. This is what brought me to this forum....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/packing-for-4-month-cruise-73061.html

SamandSally came to the above forum by mistake, but even so, the welcome mat was out for them. They left in such a hurry, I didn't get a chance to welcome them and the fact we all seem to share a love for the sea, I thought it proper to come here and invite them to enjoy the forum they stumbled across.

I did a proper intro on this forum here......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1540617

and decided that there is no interest in the mechanical inner workings of a ship or any interest on how a ship provides potable water for all on board.

In the interest of this topic thread, I shared what both professional and recreational sailors were discussing pertaining to this accident from this thread.......

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/cruise-ship-74739.html

I have come to the conclusion from my experience on this forum that cruise ship patrons fall into two basic groups, those that love the sea, travel, new cultures, and a curiosity of a ship's systems. And the second group, that would be a more ego driven desire to be in a class status, micro-society, whereas 1st class suite, dining with the Captain, and recounting all your travels, is your form of popularity among peers. If you feel you are the first group, we will welcome you with open arms on the Cruiser's Forum, and who knows, after reading the posts over there you might become intrigued enough to take some sailing lessons, then do a bareboat charter, and who knows, purchase your own boat, live aboard and cruise the world. If you fall into the 2nd group, this forum is a perfect fit.

If you are interested in a 14 year old Dutch girl that has almost completed a solo circumnavigation, check out the travels of Laura Dekker here......

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2011/11/21/laura-from-the-start-ages-12-to-14/

Respectfully,

Bob aka "deckofficer"

Archived