Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

The splendor was out of service for three months. Do not expect that of the Concordia...it may take a couple of months to get it to the point where it can even be towed somewhere.

Much longer. It was in San Diego first, for quite som time, then ion San Francisco, and finally they had to do a lot of testing before returning to service.

Much longer. It was in San Diego first, for quite som time, then ion San Francisco, and finally they had to do a lot of testing before returning to service.

I thought it was longer as well, but here's the article:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/spam-cruise-carnival-splendor-repairs/143693/1

Earlier we had some discussion about whether you can tell if the anchor was deployed to halt the ship and cause the south facing final position.

If you look through these photos:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/33-jaw...edium=buzzfeed

you can see the port side anchor clearly did NOT deploy on the daytime photo before the bow sank lower (or maybe it's tide level.)

on the best night shot, there is just a hint of a vertical line where the starboard anchor line could be before it finished rolling over. Not definitive, but the highest quality shot I've seen of the starboard side.

First ---> Prayers to everyone....

Does anyone (especially DeckOfficer) have information about the following questions:

Any additional nformation about how the ship may be moved?

Will it be repaired; if so what is the port (i.e repair facility) location?

Any information about how Costa is managing the future Concordia cruises?

Is Costa keeping the Concordia cruises that have been booked in August?

Lastly, does anyone remember how long the Carnival Splendor was out of service?

Thank you

:)

Just verified it:

Splendor fire: Nov 8, 2010

Return to service: Feb 20, 2011

I believe it was early Nov to mid Feb that it was out. Remember the fire was contained to the engine room. They had to replace the engine, all the wiring inside and call the carpets etc that took on smoke. That is quite different than a ship submerged underwater. I don't even know if they could move a ship as big as the Costa in one piece now that its down and 1/2 under water...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Can you please add the link to that? Because the man had to know his life as he knew it was over and I just can't wrap my head around this

Here's the latest headline and link to a video from the Telegraph.

Captain ordered dinner as ship sank

One of the cooks aboard the stricken cruise ship which capsized off the coast of Giglio, Italy says the captain ordered him to make his dinner after the ship had crashed into rocks.

A Filipino crew member from the stricken cruise liner said the captain seemed unconcerned about the crash which happened around nine thirty on Friday night.

Rogelio Barista, a cook on board the Costa Concordia said: "The captain wanted us to cook for him around ten or ten thirty, and I saw him with a woman we did not recognize. I asked the other cook, Jason Velasco, what the captain was thinking. That time, everything was falling apart, including our cooking. I couldn't believe what was happening. I've had plenty of experiences in my years as a cook with catastrophes like fires inside the ship, even inside Costa Concordia, and I willed myself not to get scared. I peered outside to see the captain and saw him still waiting for his drink. I asked myself why he was still there waiting for his companion's dessert with what was happening.”

The captain, Francesco Schettino, was arrested on Saturday. He is accused of manslaughter and abandoning his ship before all those on board were evacuated. Prosecutors say he also refused to go back on board when requested by the coastguard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9019114/Cruise-disaster-Captain-ordered-dinner-as-ship-sank.html

Hi all. I just wanted to provide an update to the salvage operation onboard the Concordia, I first posted a couple days ago. My brother-in-law is the senior salvage master for Titan Salvage and flew to italy and boarded the Concordia early Saturday morning.

quote]

Any idea why Titan would be involved with Smits who have been contracted to remove the fuel oil etc.

I mean, why bring in a US firm when Smits have all the expertise and equipment in Europe? Smit always seem to be in bed with somone else!

That aside, I hope it does become a salvage operation and not a scrapping job although I just don't see any future for the ship other than scrapping. The underwater images in the Italian press this morning seem to show a lot of damage to the superstructure on the starboard side and if she is sliding down that underwater cliff it will only get worse.

Earlier we had some discussion about whether you can tell if the anchor was deployed to halt the ship and cause the south facing final position.

If you look through these photos:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/33-jaw...edium=buzzfeed

you can see the port side anchor clearly did NOT deploy on the daytime photo before the bow sank lower (or maybe it's tide level.)

on the best night shot, there is just a hint of a vertical line where the starboard anchor line could be before it finished rolling over. Not definitive, but the highest quality shot I've seen of the starboard side.

The Italian Coast Guard had confirmed an anchor was dropped as part of a crash emergency stop. I posted the exact quote and officers name a day ago. The 2nd image I think clearly shows the anchor line deployed on the starboard side.

Airlines stopped having highly paid "stewardesses" and flight crews about 20 years ago when the commercial airline industry decided that overcompensating CEOs, outsourcing maintenance, and watering down safety regulations did a magic number on the bottom line; something that the cruise industry does very well with flags of convenience, anti-labor employment practices, and sweatshop working conditions that no American would put up half a day with. If there indeed are hidden safety lapses and sweeping safety under the rug going on, then by all means we need the media to pry open the lid of secrecy.

Stewardesses are highly paid compared to what these cruise ship people make. In fact most probably make more in a month than the cruise ship stewards make in a year of working 6-7 days a week.

JMHO.

CEO of Crowley (owns Titan) and Micky Arison are really close. My brother-in-law was talking about it over the holidays. As to exactly why, I do not know but I know Smit and Titan seem to be "in bed together."

If I owned 100 large cruise ships I'd make friends with Titan too... and probably Smits, Wijsmuller, Bugsier, Tsavliris, Seclco and everybody else in the business as well!

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Here is a easy to read graphic:

na0116_concordiahole1.gif

That's closer to what I imagined. Not the "thread through needle" path that was being suggested before. He had said himself that the ship was going almost sideways and in that turn the ship would have been going damn near sideways. They need to find that rock to see just how close it is to that main formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeta3 Just out of curiosity does anybody know who was Captain when the approved fly-by was done?

Look, excuse me coming in after nearly 2000 posts (a record?) so I might have missed something as I have not been following all the banter. And apologies if this has already been written. But I did find a report in La Stampa which gave the copies of the letters written about the previous “fly by” (which Google can translate). I put these up on another thread. The mayor of Giglio thanks the captain whose name is Captain Massimo Garbarino Calisto. At least that is how he signed the letter. And the captain replies:

Good evening Mr. Ortelli,

I apologize for the delay in replying to your very welcome letter.

And ‘now the second time that I make the passage across the island of Giglio in August the Costa Concordia. It was a wonderful experience three years ago and was just as exciting this year.

Last night, passing in front of the harbor, I could see the thousands of flashbulbs, and you can also see the many tourists who witnessed the passage, thanks to the publicity that you did on GiglioNews. The move was also advertised on board our ship, and there were many guests on the outside decks to enjoy this special event.

Yours is a wonderful island, just like I like, small, and I got to “visit” from above, thanks to Internet technology. It ‘a little paradise which I hope to visit in the coming years, and I think I fall in love, thanks to the accounts of the mutual friend Mario.

It ‘was a wonderful event, and I hope I can become for us on board, a tradition to continue.

Wishing all the best and prosperity to your community, I take this opportunity to convey my most cordial greetings.

Massimo Garbarino Calisto “

As I understand it, this sail past took place on Aug 14 2011, was well organised, all authorities notified and does not seem to be a REGULAR activity. It has been extensively shown on TV in the last day or so. Now this took place in summer when there are lots of tourists and it received extensive publicity both on shore and on board it seems.

What I find remarkable is why would any captain do a sail past in the middle of winter when there are few tourists, no publicity and it seems that no-one on board was told what was going on? (This needs to be verified).

I have a feeling that the solution to this mystery lies much deeper and more light will be shed when all interviews are conducted and ships records studied. For example there are reports that the captain was seen drinking in the bar just before the collision. Is this true and if so what would the captain be doing there if he was just about to do a sail past of a rocky island? For a waiter!

Also there are reports that Patrizia Tievoli, a sister of the waiter on board wrote in Face book that her brother would soon be passing close and wished him well on his coming holiday (as he would soon be disembarking?) Did she mean REAL close or when he passed by on the normal run? Was she going to stand on the dock and wave like she might have done on Aug 14 or was she just using a figure of speech?

I know that Costa have shifted all blame on the captain for doing an authorised manoeuvre but I would not be in the least surprised if this is the line the company is taking and there is an even bigger stuff up somewhere else (if that is possible). I totally reject the uncharted rock story. I would have not gone where the ship went in my small aluminium fishing boat.

Maybe this question has already been answered, but how do they plan to pump the water out with all those not-water tight doors and balconies underwater to allow more water to come in?

Jamie

Awesome question. Seems to me you need to roll the ship up as you pump it out. Incredible engineering needed. Still stunning this is all taking place where pictures comes in by the hour. We will surely see how this happens.

Awesome question. Seems to me you need to roll the ship up as you pump it out. Incredible engineering needed. Still stunning this is all taking place where pictures comes in by the hour. We will surely see how this happens.

Look at http://www.titansalvage.com. The first picture on the site is how they do it.

Archived