Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I reported it (there's a no disaster/human tragedy listing rule ) and encourage others to do so.

Even sadder is bids are up to $51 AND that's not even a reserve.

That person is seriously tempting fate, IMO.

Not enough to walk away from something like that? Got to make a buck, too? Wow.

Does anybody wonder if a ship was heading north which the ship was and the island is on the port side, than how did the ship get turned so that the land is on the starboard side with the ship heading south.?

That's been explained in this thread a few times - it's a normal event when you stop quickly via anchor and rotate the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on board and we survived, thank God! It was horrible but today finally Costa is helping us with travel plans and we are being looked after it seems. So thankful. Something we will never forget.

So glad you are safe and sound; home you get home soon. It is incomprehensible to think of what you what through.

God Bless.

Kathy

Sorry but pictures I have seen don't show anchor dropped and to stop ship both anchors would have been dropped.

The starboard anchor, not the port, and no both would not have to be dropped... To do the drop and turn, only ONE could be dropped because dropping both would hinder the turn part. ;)

I reported it (there's a no disaster/human tragedy listing rule ) and encourage others to do so.

Even sadder is bids are up to $51 AND that's not even a reserve.

This is sad. I'm surprised at how quickly this happened.

I suspect there will be a motion picture within a year in the USA. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Here is a easy to read graphic:

na0116_concordiahole1.gif

Why can't you just wait until the officials give the truth! You have not given the same co ordinates that others have given.

This is what is so sad to me.........I don't care whether you have 50 years at sea........too many guesses, and I don't believe anything that I read, unless it's from an official.

Why didn't you say that the ship went in between the shoals, as so many others.......including someoine that ran it on a simulator.

When you have the facts from the "black box" then give us your theory.

Sorry to get on you.......but there have been so many theories......and whether you are right or wrong........you DO NOT HAVE THE FACTS OF THE BLACK BOX!!

Really, I want this to rest until there is proof positive.

Rick

But why did they jump in the first place? I've wondered this alot...was it just panic that made people try to swim to shore, or did no one inform people that the ship was now in shallow water?

Look at the pictures of how close the ship is to that outcropping. I don't know that I wouldn't make a swim for it if there was a mass of people and confusion and a rocking outcropping that looks like it is only about 100 feet away. Especially with the sea lapping at my feet on deck 4.

Underwater photos of the ship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/costa-concordia-cruise-ship-underwater-photos_n_1209286.html#s616636&title=Divers_Race_To

If either of these have been posted already, I'm sorry

Also, Huffington Post's Costa Concordia page...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/costa-concordia

Why can't you just wait until the officials give the truth! You have not given the same co ordinates that others have given.

This is what is so sad to me.........I don't care whether you have 50 years at sea........too many guesses, and I don't believe anything that I read, unless it's from an official.

Why didn't you say that the ship went in between the shoals, as so many others.......including someoine that ran it on a simulator.

When you have the facts from the "black box" then give us your theory.

Sorry to get on you.......but there have been so many theories......and whether you are right or wrong........you DO NOT HAVE THE FACTS OF THE BLACK BOX!!

Really, I want this to rest until there is proof positive.

Rick

+1

I think you and I are the only ones on these forums trying to tell people that they don't have facts.....they have news stories and quotes, many of which are conflicting. The news media is picking up information from forum posts and then people post the news story as fact in the forums. No one has facts from the black box...we have various statements and it's just like the "telephone" game we played when kids...start a rumor and by the end of the line, it's distorted and a fact.

I'll start to make judgements when I know the actual course and have a time line which includes who was where/when. Then I want to know quite a bit about Costa's interactions with the ship and the training of the ship's personnel. And I'm sure more will come out...as facts.

+1

I think you and I are the only ones on these forums trying to tell people that they don't have facts.....they have news stories and quotes, many of which are conflicting. The news media is picking up information from forum posts and then people post the news story as fact in the forums. No one has facts from the black box...we have various statements and it's just like the "telephone" game we played when kids...start a rumor and by the end of the line, it's distorted and a fact.

I'll start to make judgements when I know the actual course and have a time line which includes who was where/when. Then I want to know quite a bit about Costa's interactions with the ship and the training of the ship's personnel. And I'm sure more will come out...as facts.

I have tried many times tonight (it's 5 am here in Europe now) that I do have the facts! And that they are made PUBLIC already!

Facts... from the black box AND the authorities!

I have tried many times tonight (it's 5 am here in Europe now) that I do have the facts! And that they are made PUBLIC already!

YOU have FACTS from the Black Box?????????

I dont think so.

It probably hasnt even been recovered yet.

That's been explained in this thread a few times - it's a normal event when you stop quickly via anchor and rotate the boat.

Sorry but pictures I have seen don't show anchor dropped and to stop ship both anchors would have been dropped.

You do not drop anchor when you stop to rotate the ship.

I had an opportunity to visit the STAR Center (Simulation Training And Research) near Ft Lauderdale (just outside of the city) some years ago. I got to "Captain" the Freedom of the Seas in simulation. Aside from taking the ship out of St Thomas and Puerto Rico, I also got to take the ship into port in Miami. As you enter into the bowl your speed is greatly reduced until you get about center and into an idle (if you will) mode. From there you carefully rotate the ship, something you could not do if the anchor is dropped, until you are pointing in the direction to cruise back to where you will dock. From there you sorta slide into your spot.

What really amazed me was the fine line one has for leaving or entering ports. In St Thomas there is (was) a red light in a triangle shape up a hillside. When backing out, which starts at the dock with the rear of the ship swinging out before going back, you can not cross over what you could say is an imaginary line coming down from there.

The bowl in Miami has to be very precise too. When in there you have to remain within "markers" that are seen on an instrument panel.

At the time I did this Oasis was still being built. I learned how they were researching the amount of dredging that would need to be done for the ports the ship would go to. Also saw how the charts that are used for safe travel on the seas are constantly checked and rechecked, updated as needed, and many other things involved in safety on the seas.

At the time I did this I know the Center was the training facility for Princess and RCI but I don't recall how many or which other cruise lines were using them. They were not just for cruise ships either, many other types of vessels use the Center. I know Princess no longer uses them, having built their own facility, either in Italy or UK.

OneOneNiner.........I have no clue as to even what country your are from, and why you say that you have facts, when I'm staying close to Governmental souces, and now I would ask you for your source information.

Don't just give more rumors..........unless you can state the exact source, your rumors will be dismissed.

Either give us facts.......source, name of source, contact information, or whether you think you are full of facts...I still call it rumors!

ghstudio, whom I do not know, but is of the same opinion......that rumors abound, with little facts from the authorities.

Names, numbers and contact information.......the news sources would have it before you!

Rick

Archived