Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Thanks! I sail in 19 days.....will read it ASAP

A lot of it is common sense, but something people are inclined to forget about while on holidays. Things like on your first night in an hotel, walk the route from your bedroom to the ground floor (so that you'll know if you have to switch stair cases, for example), and makes you aware of the "milling" process that goes on at the beginning of an emergency - where groups of people wander around aimlessly asking each others' opinions.

I've seen it happen in my office when the fire alarm has gone off by mistake. In those cases there was no emergency, but the initial reaction is for everyone to look around at each other and start asking "do we need to go out?". After reading the book, the last time there was a false alarm at work, I stood up and just said relatively quietly "OK, everyone up and out", and our area was out in record time.

This is my (poor) translation Italian-to-English of an article which was published in the Italian newspaper "La Repubblica" today 17.01.12. IF these allegations are true : this indicates a WHOLE new ballgame.....

“Costa” officially stated "we can not violate confidentiality at this stage of investigation,” and therefore they could not give answers to the content of those three phone calls. But unofficially sources inside the company report that, indeed, communications were handled that night with Schettino. The Captain indeed admitted to having "a serious problem on board," but, according to our sources, minimized it, saying it was under control. It is a fact – corroborated by two officers on the bridge - the third and final phone call with Ferrarini, before evacuating the ship, ended with the words of the Captain. Distraught. "My career ends here. I am fired."

If the Captain was, according to the above report, indeed FIRED OVER THE PHONE, does this not end his responsibility for "staying with the ship", as he was NO LONGER in command of the ship ?

OR . . . was he just lamenting his career and the different catastrophic course it had just taken?

If the Captain was, according to the above report, indeed FIRED OVER THE PHONE, does this not end his responsibility for "staying with the ship", as he was NO LONGER in command of the ship ?

OR . . . was he just lamenting his career and the different catastrophic course it had just taken?

I believe he knew his career on a Cruise ship, if not all maritime vessels in any position of command was over.

Joanie

Well then,

Maybe the rock he hit wasn't on the charts.

LOL........love the article, including the fact that all of the rocks from Mars so far add up to less than 240 pounds!

I guarantee the boulder that is embedded in the side of Concordia is slightly more than 240 pounds!:eek:

I know, it's the thought that counts!:D

Rick

Interesting angle, if he was told that he was fired, then I suppose his responsibilities ended right at that moment. I was assuming the "I am fired" comment was made up by him in his head, not Costa. In fact, I still haven't heard that he is fired, as of this writing.

Thanks! I sail in 19 days.....will read it ASAP

Just an FYI and as you may have cruised before you probably already know this:

At the Muster Drill the crew will tell you that you can't haul several belongings. They recommend that IF you can indeed get to your stateroom, aside from grabbing your life jacket your meds are what is important. If in cold weather climates, even a jacket is ok. Otherwise you are not to try and bring on cameras, computers, etc.

If this is aimed at me, I am not at all interested in damage control....I am just trying to piece together the few facts we have......rather than join the lynch mob that has a few facts and lots of hearsay information purported to be fact by various newspapers, web sites, etc. Yes, some of it is becoming fact....and some of it is becoming bad information.

We have case after case where people are tried and convicted in the newspapers and media, only to find out later that they really didn't do what everyone thought they did.....that's why we have a legal system and why facts are so important.

I have a knee jerk reaction to mob mentality...you should too. Let's wait and let the legal system figure out what the captain did, what costa knew, what the other officers did and so on. Unless you live in a different country, the captain is innocent until PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW.

There is no lynch mob here.

When data from the black box is made public, the route and conversations too... when you hear actuall recordings and see the actual course... and when you then see and hear he captains own statements... then you can not say there is a lynch mob here.

He is proven guilty already!

I believe he knew his career on a Cruise ship, if not all maritime vessels in any position of command was over.

Joanie

Is that what gave him the right to just walk off the ship, before overseeing that everyone possible was getting off of the sinking ship?

First, it's HIS actions that put the ship in peril.

Second, It's HIS actions by taking over the controls to manually steer the ship, thereby hitting a submirged object that, in fact is on the charts.

Third, it's HIS actions that delayed the start of a muster to save ALL lives onboard.

And then, due to HIS actions, there is mayham among the crew and passengers, rather than an orderly action to abandon ship.

And, finally he takes a phone call from a superior from shore, let's the superior know that HE is fired, then gets on a lifeboard and heads to shore, washing his hands of the whole thing.

All of this comes from eye witnesses that have made reports. I don't know if it's the truth, but I can only believe that it is.

All of this could have been prevented, if not for one man's ego.

It's very sad, that if this is the truth, how a company like Costa, ever let a man like this become a Master of a ship.

No matter what, this is going to be the talk of many cruisers aboard many ships all over the world.

It takes many men to build an Empire, but only one to distroy it!!

Rick

Does anyone have a link to the Live Streaming Web Cam from Giglio that was showing the Rescue?? The one that was linked on the Swedish News web site??

They took it off the Swedish site earlier today and now I cannot find anything:(

Joanie

Google has a couple links to Giglio Webcams, such as: this one

It's very sad, that if this is the truth, how a company like Costa, ever let a man like this become a Master of a ship.

It indeed is very sad and will probably (hopefully) never happen again. I bet they will now take a closer look at the personality of the officers they are going to promote... ANY cruise line!

Is that what gave him the right to just walk off the ship, before overseeing that everyone possible was getting off of the sinking ship?

First, it's HIS actions that put the ship in peril.

Second, It's HIS actions by taking over the controls to manually steer the ship, thereby hitting a submirged object that, in fact is on the charts.

Third, it's HIS actions that delayed the start of a muster to save ALL lives onboard.

And then, due to HIS actions, there is mayham among the crew and passengers, rather than an orderly action to abandon ship.

And, finally he takes a phone call from a superior from shore, let's the superior know that HE is fired, then gets on a lifeboard and heads to shore, washing his hands of the whole thing.

All of this comes from eye witnesses that have made reports. I don't know if it's the truth, but I can only believe that it is.

All of this could have been prevented, if not for one man's ego.

No matter what, this is going to be the talk of many cruisers aboard many ships all over the world.

It takes many men to build an Empire, but only one to distroy it!!

Rick

Rick, I am not defending him!! Not by a long shot!! Heck, I even volunteer to lead the Firing Squad!!

I was replying to a question asked by someone who apparently has not read the entire thread.

Joanie

Google has a couple links to Giglio Webcams, such as: this one

Those only refresh every 30 seconds to 1 minute. I tried all of those earlier today and more. The Swedish News Link given this morning had a live web cam that was.. well... live.

Thank you though for the try:)

Joanie

Those only refresh every 30 seconds to 1 minute. I tried all of those earlier today and more. The Swedish News Link given this morning had a live web cam that was.. well... live.

Thank you though for the try:)

Joanie

I was watching it live. I actually believe now I saw them discover the 5 bodies that were found today. It might be up again when the sun comes up in Italy. I honestly think they took it down because of darkness.

There is no lynch mob here.

When data from the black box is made public, the route and conversations too... when you hear actuall recordings and see the actual course... and when you then see and hear he captains own statements... then you can not say there is a lynch mob here.

He is proven guilty already!

No, when I see all of that AND a court of law convicts him, I will believe that he is guilty. Until then, he is innocent. If you don't like that, then you should not live in the US or any other country that belives in "innocent until proven guilty".

we do not do not, as a country, believe in vigilante justice...

Rick, I am not defending him!! Not by a long shot!! Heck, I even volunteer to lead the Firing Squad!!

I was replying to a question asked by someone who apparently has not read the entire thread.

Joanie

Joanie........I'm not defending him either, by any stretch of the imagination!!

I think I made it pretty clear that his is guilty through his own admissions (or lack therof). I read what you were replying to, and was actually defending your position!;)

And to the poster before you, if, knowing that you have left your command, as the Master, before making sure you have done your best to make sure that everyone is off safely (like Captain Sullenburger of U.S. Airways), you have a feeling that he is innocent? I can appreciate your attitude of "innocent until proven guilty", by a court of law. Our military does not treat a solder or sailor that way. So, let's see and learn how the Italian maritime law treats people like this ex Captain.

Rick

Been watching it on Daily Planet, and the divers have been setting off explosives to gain access into the ship.

Do you have a link? I cannot seem to find the specific Daily Planet you are talking of:( I see cartoons and stuff like that but...

Joanie

Interesting article on BBC saying that the ship went close to the point of contact last August (and was approved by Costa), and the rock was not on the charts which could have been used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16604154

BBC also has a map, and it shows contact to capsizing was only 40 mins. These ships are designed to be evacuated in approximately 3hours, so it probably took the bridge some time to figure out what was wrong and what systems were affected. 30 mins after contact, they made the turn meaning they probably gave up hope. The captain certainly has a part to play, but I think there is a lot that went wrong here, not just one thing.

The captain certainly has a part to play, but I think there is a lot that went wrong here, not just one thing.

I tend to agree. And the thing about a lot going wrong, when I did a safety management course a few years ago we learned about the 'swiss cheese model' which describes perfectly how there are layers in any system or organisation, that contribute to this type of accident. Some say the model is flawed, but from my perspective at least, it sums up what has gone on here. From what we know so far.

If this is aimed at me, I am not at all interested in damage control....I am just trying to piece together the few facts we have......rather than join the lynch mob that has a few facts and lots of hearsay information purported to be fact by various newspapers, web sites, etc. Yes, some of it is becoming fact....and some of it is becoming bad information.

We have case after case where people are tried and convicted in the newspapers and media, only to find out later that they really didn't do what everyone thought they did.....that's why we have a legal system and why facts are so important.

I have a knee jerk reaction to mob mentality...you should too. Let's wait and let the legal system figure out what the captain did, what costa knew, what the other officers did and so on. Unless you live in a different country, the captain is innocent until PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW.

REALLY are you in the same world as us? Are you not watching the news or reading the reports and not getting it??? Even in "his own words" HE refused to return to his duty, and thats after he caused this disaster just to be a show off which again HE admitted to by telling the officials why he was so close to shore. HE RAN while thousands of helpless people where left to fend for themselves! And where is he now, at home with his wife and daughter living life, while there are families out there just hoping that their loved ones are still breathing!! He is a worthless coward and he deserves to have his nuts cut off and serve way more time then 15yrs, cause after all he didn't have the balls to begin with to stand up and be a man and take responsibilty and uphold his duty as a Captain and take care of his ship. You must be his twin!!

I highly doubt that he was fired over the phone, for 1 the big wigs wouldn't have known all the facts or the severity of the situation at that point, that's just him worried about himself again! Not to mention that they have released a statement that they will be paying his legal fees!

Archived