Costa Concordia sinking

RBCL

Wow.

We actually were considering Costa for future.

NOT any more........how in God's name could this have happened.

(Hope they find the 69 people unaccounted for ...alive.).

Why don't you wait a few days for the rumors to die down and facts to come out? They were so close to shore and not far from port. I'm wondering if a pilot from the port blew it?

Still. with all that modern technology, and experienced officers, one has to wonder how it happened at all.

Plenty of time to damn Costa to H-E -double toothpicks. Just do it with some facts.

Some reports indicate that this is a sister ship to the Carnival Splendor. Years ago, I remember reading that the Splendor was built to be a Costa Ship and was diverted to Carnival late in it's build. Interesting parallel that early reports indicated that this event began with an electrical outage, since that is the same thing that crippled the Splendor, a couple of years ago. (Electricity probably ended AFTER the ship hit rocks, and flooded the generators.)

It appears that the captain did the right thing, grounding the ship, rather than possibly allowing her to sink in open (deep) water. This allowed an unlimited amount of time for rescue operations. Hopefully the people who are missing, are already on shore, and just not counted.

Some reports indicate that this is a sister ship to the Carnival Splendor. Years ago, I remember reading that the Splendor was built to be a Costa Ship and was diverted to Carnival late in it's build. Interesting parallel that early reports indicated that this event began with an electrical outage, since that is the same thing that crippled the Splendor, a couple of years ago. (Electricity probably ended AFTER the ship hit rocks, and flooded the generators.)

It appears that the captain did the right thing, grounding the ship, rather than possibly allowing her to sink in open (deep) water. This allowed an unlimited amount of time for rescue operations. Hopefully the people who are missing, are already on shore, and just not counted.

Grounding it is what ripped the 160 foot hole causing it to sink

No but leaving before everyone was safe is inexcusable.

Just pulled this off a web article.

Prosecutor Francesco Verusio confirmed reports that prosecutors are investigating allegations the cruise liner's captain, Francesco Schettino, abandoned the stricken liner before all the passengers had escaped.

Asked by Sky TG24 about the accusations, Grosseto prosecutor Francesco Verusio replied, "unfortunately, I must confirm that circumstance."

My brother-in-law is the Senior Salvage Master for Titan Salvage and is flying to Italy now with a crew to try and save the ship. This is so sad. It's amazing to think that something like this could have happened in 2012. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved.

I would not put job titles and the company a family member works for on a public forum.Once its out there you cant change it and alot of people google and have bad intentions

Some reports indicate that this is a sister ship to the Carnival Splendor. Years ago, I remember reading that the Splendor was built to be a Costa Ship and was diverted to Carnival late in it's build.

That is true. In fact, it is even considered to be one of the Concordia Class ships. A kind of one-off for Carnival.

I was shocked when I saw the first pictures, and even more so now that I see the end result.

Wow, so many stories coming out now.....

Reports of the captain being seen drinking before it happened.

But for now all is just speculation......

It is just speculation, but it isn't looking good for him right now.

This being said, he was not on duty at the time, another officer was at the controls at the time. The captain is expected to entertain the guests sometimes when not on the bridge.

I wouldn't mind hearing about his reaction from the people he was sitting with.

Archived