Costa Concordia sinking

RBCL

Well it is taking on water, according to news...

I understand that, they breached the hull somehow, but if it is grounded, it should be salvageable (as opposed to taking on water in deep water and completely sinking. Hopefully all will be ok.

Wow! That is one freaky looking picture. I feel so bad for everyone onboard. Hope everyone is evacuated safely. I feel bad for anyone booked on her next few sailings too. Going to be lots of disappointed Concordia sailors.

:(

News report says sinking, hopefully not.

From Sky News:

"Officials said the liner was listing at an angle of 20 degrees but it was not in danger of sinking."

So the updates are good news. Also "virtually" all passengers and crew are off the ship. Unfortunately a couple of deaths though.

It cant sink because it is lying on the seabed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw some pics online. That is as close to sunk as you can get. Ship is completely on it's side with more than half of it underwater. I cannot believe something like that can happen in this day and age.!

Just saw some pics online. That is as close to sunk as you can get. Ship is completely on it's side with more than half of it underwater. I cannot believe something like that can happen in this day and age.!

Yeah, for all intents and purposes it's a shipwreck. If it ain't floating, it's sunk.

That boat isn't floating. Still amazed by it, I had read about it last night but I wasn't totally prepared for the pictures of it. I'm pretty much at a loss as to how something like that could happen.

Earlier this year, I took the Behind the Scenes tour on the Carnival Dream. When you go below the water line, it is a different world down there. It is nothing like even Deck 1 that we see going ashore. The water-tight doors are huge and marked very well. Our guide said you'd be killed if one of those tried to close and you were in the way. Even on a modern ship, it is creepy down there. Tight hallways, dozens of guys working in the hot laundry room with no windows and a low ceiling. After having seen the engine control room and other crew areas on a ship like this, I can't imagine what must have gone on down there during this emergency. My heart goes out to the crew.

They said the power went out and then they ran aground. My question is, why was there no lifeboat drill? I usually take Holland American cruises and the drills are the very first thing that you take part in when you leave port. These people were in formal wear and PJ's and there was no mention of a lifeboat drill.

They said the power went out and then they ran aground. My question is, why was there no lifeboat drill? I usually take Holland American cruises and the drills are the very first thing that you take part in when you leave port. These people were in formal wear and PJ's and there was no mention of a lifeboat drill.

Apparently this ship picks up passengers at different ports, so they were planning to have the next drill the following day. I read that somewhere, so take it for what it's worth.

Archived