Nationalities of Captains employed by Royal Caribbean

I am most impressed with the experience RCL captains have. Most have been in the trade for many years before coming to RCL. That would include one of our favorites - Captain Karen. Their nationalities have little to do with how they and the Staff Captains perform their duties. Just sayin' ;)

No, but it's very interesting! Usually in the second or third conversation I'll have with our steward I'll ask where s/he is from. And I usually get asked that as well (what state I live in, anyway). It's just interesting to hear that different cruise lines look to different places for their captains.

Because of the Costa incident, cruise lines may start to audit the logs. To see which captain's have even veering off course!!

The only accidents in collision I remember recently are the 2 or 3 brushes with CCL ships. They ran into RCCL ships and now this. I really think Carnival needs to re-evaluate their safety procedures for their masters.

The only accidents in collision I remember recently are the 2 or 3 brushes with CCL ships. They ran into RCCL ships and now this. I really think Carnival needs to re-evaluate their safety procedures for their masters.

...or get smaller ships to captain...:D

Anyone remember what happened to the Monarch in December of 1998?

This was as great article that really outlined everything that happened (with maybe a few TOO many details about why the captain had to leave the bridge :eek:) but really explains to someone what happened and why.

I hope that a similar report comes out of the Costa tragedy. With something as detailed as this, it could put a lot of questions to rest.

Anyone remember what happened to the Monarch in December of 1998? Crew of cruise ship that hit reef faulted for failing to update charts
In the past 12 to 18 months, someone posted the link (or pasted the body of the message) that was written by a Canadian couple on their honeymoon. For some reason, I thought it happened in San Juan but it has to be the Monarch as the details are as described in this article. I believe they had gone to bed, heard the distress call, had trouble getting into their lifejackets, put on running shoes, and ended up having to jump from the ship into the lifeboats. Once on the pier, they realized they had forgotten to grab a certain prescription drug so the personnel called a cab for them and they were driven in breakneck speeds to a clinic. As I remember the doctor was the driver and parked on a side street as it was too dangerous for him to pull up in front and open the main door. (I promise I am not making this up.) When they got back to the pier, they were divided into groups and taken to hotels. When they checked in, there was a man buck naked ... they were taken to a nudist camp. If there was ever a CC link that I should have printed, this is the one. I was skeptical but the story was verified by others. Someone out there has the link (or copied it) as I read it in the last 12 months or so. It seems to me that the main thread might have had something to do with "the worst trip ever" ... something to that effect. Do any of you remember???

Does it make a difference if they did?:rolleyes:

I have no problem saying it. Given recent events, yes, it does make a difference. All collisions involving the major cruise lines in the past few years have been the fault of Italian captains. Fact is fact and ignoring it will likely lead to more unecessary incidents.

Carnival Splendor (x2) - both in Puerto Vallerta - 2009

Carnival Legend - in Cozumel - 2009

Carnival Fantasy - in Key West - 2011

Costa Concordia (x2) - collsion with pier in 2008 - this incident - 2012

Costa Classica - collision with fuel tanker - 2010

We can look back and find collisions with all cruise lines, but this is a recent pattern, coincidently all involving Italian captains. Like I said, fact is fact.

In the past 12 to 18 months, someone posted the link (or pasted the body of the message) that was written by a Canadian couple on their honeymoon. For some reason, I thought it happened in San Juan but it has to be the Monarch as the details are as described in this article. I believe they had gone to bed, heard the distress call, had trouble getting into their lifejackets, put on running shoes, and ended up having to jump from the ship into the lifeboats. Once on the pier, they realized they had forgotten to grab a certain prescription drug so the personnel called a cab for them and they were driven in breakneck speeds to a clinic. As I remember the doctor was the driver and parked on a side street as it was too dangerous for him to pull up in front and open the main door. (I promise I am not making this up.) When they got back to the pier, they were divided into groups and taken to hotels. When they checked in, there was a man buck naked ... they were taken to a nudist camp. If there was ever a CC link that I should have printed, this is the one. I was skeptical but the story was verified by others. Someone out there has the link (or copied it) as I read it in the last 12 months or so. It seems to me that the main thread might have had something to do with "the worst trip ever" ... something to that effect. Do any of you remember???

Here's the link to the thread that had the descriptive post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9614701&postcount=3

I have no problem saying it. Given recent events, yes, it does make a difference. All collisions involving the major cruise lines in the past few years have been the fault of Italian captains. Fact is fact and ignoring it will likely lead to more unecessary incidents.

Carnival Splendor (x2) - both in Puerto Vallerta - 2009

Carnival Legend - in Cozumel - 2009

Carnival Fantasy - in Key West - 2011

Costa Concordia (x2) - collsion with pier in 2008 - this incident - 2012

Costa Classica - collision with fuel tanker - 2010

We can look back and find collisions with all cruise lines, but this is a recent pattern, coincidently all involving Italian captains. Like I said, fact is fact.

I guess if it makes a difference to you then if Royal Caribbean switched to all Italian Captains, will you not cruise on their ships??

Using you logic about recent patterns, if recent robberies were reported in a town that the acts were done by Jewish kids, is it a fact that all Jewish kids are bad?

I’m not quite sure about the incidents you posted what the exact facts were but if I recall correctly, the Carnival Legend incident was due to very strong winds, I guess that’s fair to blame the Italian Captain too.

I’m not quite sure about the incidents you posted what the exact facts were but if I recall correctly, the Carnival Legend incident was due to very strong winds, I guess that’s fair to blame the Italian Captain too.

They tried to back out of their mooring as a storm front approached from the west. The sudden, strong winds blew them in to the Enchantment. Yes, the Captain was ultimately responsible for the collision.

I guess if it makes a difference to you then if Royal Caribbean switched to all Italian Captains, will you not cruise on their ships??

Where did I say I wouldn't cruise Carnival?

Using you logic about recent patterns, if recent robberies were reported in a town that the acts were done by Jewish kids, is it a fact that all Jewish kids are bad?

First of all, I never said all Italians are bad so don't you dare put words in my mouth. If I thought all Italians were bad, someone better tell my Italian husband. :rolleyes:

To put your example more in to the proper perspective, if all the recent robberies were done by, say, Jewish taxi drivers, then yes, I would be weary of Jewish taxi drivers.

Listen, I call a spade a spade. It is not my fault Italian captains have been crashing cruise ships lately. But the fact remains, they have been.

Uh, blaming the captain absolutely is fair because it was his fault. He got underway in a storm and hit another ship at the dock. It's pretty cut and dry.

I am sure that Hernan Zini, the first captain of the Allure, is from Argentina. :)

Does it really matter what nationality or ethnicity any of the ship's officers are? Seems to me that the most important and perhaps the only important thing is their proficiency as a Ship's Master.

Archived