On Passenger Drills

Traveling Bob

I feel safe when I cruise , its like people that say I will never fly after a plane goes down. But I still say If another accident happens in the next 5 years , it will be the same thing . They hire kids to wait on us , clean up after us, not to be well trained in Lifesaving drills , they come and go on those ships , yes a few of the seasoned employees may be well trained. But I agree I will have a plan in my head as to where I need to be just in case.

I have done a fair bit of cruising, and must say that on our last trip, the muster drill was a joke. Not only did we not have to wear our life jackets, but we didn't even have to bring them to the drill!

We were brought to a lounge, and I couldn't even hear what the crew were saying because people were busy laughing, talking and texting on their cell phones. The crew should have had a microphone, and should have had people be quiet.

I wonder how many people would know where their life jackets were stored? I wonder how many people would know how to put them on?

We sailed on Costa Atlantica 2 years ago, and recently on RCI Freedom of the seas. Incredibly enough, after all the comments I have been reading about the evacuation, our family always agreed that the best emergency drill we had was on the Costa Atlantica. It was almost a military drill!!!! The staff was reviewing our life jacket set-up tightening-up the belts, etc. The information was given in 6 languages!!

This year on RCI, I was very surprised that we did NOT have to wear our life jackets. So I made sure we had all 4 in our cabin including 1 small for our 9 year old. Sure enough there was only 2!!!! I asked the steward 2 extra life jackets for the kids. They also did NOT demonstrate the evacuation alarm as it was previously done on the 5 other cruises we had done (Costa, Disney, Carnival).....

I have said for years if there was a real emergency this would happen. There was no way these 20 something kids would calmly just stand and point you to the right areas ,

And the 20-something kids working on your cruise ship are probably saying similar things about you.

BTW - I am retired military and have seen how 18-24 year olds react in emergencies. As a result I would listen to a '20-something' crewmember long before I would listen to another random passenger.

And the 20-something kids working on your cruise ship are probably saying similar things about you.

BTW - I am retired military and have seen how 18-24 year olds react in emergencies. As a result I would listen to a '20-something' crewmember long before I would listen to another random passenger.

You miss my point not really there age , but the fact they are working for peanuts . And what does it have to with us , we are not in charge of anything.??

Young people can do anything they want if they put mind to it , a lot better than some of us older people , but if you are not being payed squat are you going to risk your life on a cruise ship to save thousands of people or get the heck off and save your own life just sayin.

My last cruise was on the Celebrity Summit, which made do with the passengers assembling in a lounge. I'm not at all convinced that's adequate, particularly if the ship starts listing and the power goes out.

I think that the next time I cruise, I'll make it a point to walk my way from my cabin to my designated lifeboat station some time early in the cruise so I'll have a solid grasp of where to go if things get interesting.

That the situation was somewhat chaotic. Frankly, I think it's almost a miracle that so many people made it safely off the ship. I'm sure time will provide clarity

I've been on 8 cruises since 1998. My memory may be faulty, but I think lifeboat drills were taken more seriously back in 1998 than now. I was on a HAL cruise in June and we were not required to bring our flotation devices to the lifeboat drill. That said, I would guess that in this awful, almost unthinkable situation, all involved were caught off guard. Further, I would guess that to Costa and all other lines, their major, expected disaster has always been fire, not getting hung up on rocks in a very well traveled area.

Let's hope this tragic event will be a wake-up call to both the cruise industry AND passengers. The cruise industry needs to take a long, hard look at the people they put in charge of these ships and prepare the entire crew for "unforeseen" incidents (e.g., useless life boats, etc.). Passengers need to be pro-active with regard to their own safety and not assume that the crew will take care of everything. Attend the muster drills, know where life jackets/life boats are located, check emergency exits and, just like at home, have a "meet up" plan ... especially if you're traveling with children.

Well said! Also cruise industries need to look at a back up plan if lifeboats wont lower or ship lists severely. It is impossible to evacuate 4200 people in 30 min when the Captain gives the order. Need more evacuation methods and extensive training.

I didn't know this. Perhaps it would be more prudent to train other crew to man and lower the lifeboats as well, such as Hotel staff? In a real emergency, as you say, most deck crew and engineers would be busy doing other things.

Very true!! Cross training would be a great idea!

I really don't see how someone's pay rate dictates how well they handle an emergency situation, especially one that they have never been in. I make way more than those crew members make and I would be shriveled up on the floor crying in that situation, I'm pretty sure. I know plenty of Electrical Engineers that I work with who would probably be the same way considering how they react in slight emergencies and they all make over $100k. I also have seen minimum wage, "bottom of the barrel" workers run into burning buildings and during Katrina I saw them save lives.

The number on someone's paycheck does not dictate the level of response to an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading these posts I can only say that, having been on Concordia last week (I disembarked on Friday morning) I found it odd, in a cruise where passengers were embarked in EVERY port of call that the only emergency drill was held on the evening of January 07th, after the ship left Savona. Not dicussing much the merits of the drill itself but it would at least have helped the then large number of pax to know to which deck to go to, which doors to use (which are not clear on a day-to-day basis) and also which possible routes to follow. The one on 07th January was so relaxed that not all pax attended and I still have my emergency drill card with me as nobody bother to collect it as they generally do.

The Concordia tragedy will surely highlight the need for the cruise ship industry to ramp up their safety procedures, not only for passengers, but also crew training.

As a seasoned cruiser, I have seen folk sleeping through the musterings, which are in English, with other language speakers being referred back to their cabins to watch the procedures there on TV screens. The time has come for mustering to be re- vamped.

Certain airlines have it right - they grab all of your attention by making you watch an innovative, but short and concise safety movie. Now, the ships could do the same - keep everyone in his/her cabin, doors open so that trained safety crew can ensure everyone is actually watching on the TV screen, whilst handling and even wearing their life jackets to practice being au fait with them. I think this would be much better than herding tons of bored folk to lounges, where you cannot find seating often, cannot hear the drill/ movie and cannot wait for it to be over.

Also, everyone employed by a cruise line, entertainers included, need to be well versed in safety, and each one should be assigned so many passengers who they would take care of in the eventuality of an emergency. There are enough crew on board these giant ships to organize far better procedures for everyone concerned.

And, of course, as paying passengers, we all have the right to expect total transparency should there be an emergency, immediately. Delays cost lives and the sooner evacuation begins, the less chance of loss of life, panic and chaos.

I will keep on cruising. It is still one of the safest ways of travelling. However, it is really sad that a senseless tragedy is what it takes to shake things up re safety procedures. My heart goes out to all those affected by a stupid, ruthless captain’s decisions last week.

Lurker here....

After being a crew member for over 10 years on 3 different lines, I can tell you that the crew are trained, trained, and trained. Way back when I was a shoppie and I had to take my lifeboat commander certification. I had to get off the ship in Vancouver and go to firefighting school. I had to go out in the ocean and learn to flip a liferaft rightside up by myself in the sea. Lots of classes, lots of training, lots of tests. NCL was super strict with safety. HAL was good. Carnival was okay. So don't know how Costa was. But I wouldn't have known the difference if I didn't start on NCL first. This was a few years ago, but I don't like how people are blaming the crew. There was a strict chain of command, and commands come from the evacuation leader, the captain, and the hotel director, and the cheif engineer. What were the other senior officers up to I wonder? My husband was a cheif engineer and he always made it clear that if there was an emergency he would not be getting off the ship with me, if at all! Shame on the captain if he did abandon ship, that is all I have to say. And I can only remember a couple ships where the drills were not actaully on the boat deck with lifejackets. And maybe one run where the boat drill was not before we sailed.

But anyways, not sure what my point is, just that I don't think the crew should be blamed so quickly.

Maybe the pax should have to have a class and quiz too before they get their S&S card? I know, won't work, just thinking......

We are off next week on a cruise, one thing I have noticed in the past is the number of people already in the "Muster" station well before the drill starts (we can be included in that group, why fight the crowds I said).

In reality, you will most likley NOT be in the muster station when the emergency signal is given, and certainly not have your lifevest. A proper drill would have you somewhere else in the ship, and wait for the signal to sound. Return to your room, grab you lifevest and other important items (which should be in a kit ready to go in just such an instance), and head to the muster station. How long did it take you, what route would you take...

Only this would I now concider a proper "exercise".

On the five cruises I have taken on Holland American, the muster drills are very serious drills with everyone OUTSIDE at their muster station with life jackets on. We must answer the crewman when he calls out our cabin number.

On Regent, we go inside to the Grand salon and listen to crew members describe how to put on the life jackets and where to go to the muster station.

On Seabourn we go to the dining room for the same instructions. No ship I've ever cruised on (and there are many) ever told us what to do if there were problems with blackouts, tenders not lowering, etc. Seems to me there should be a bit more of a thorough instruction from Capt. and crew. Just my thoughts.

The part starting with : "No Ship ,in the last paragragh" is very relative to this tragedy .In our opinion what you said is so very important.

The Captain & his officers of every vessel needs to be trained in the what if conditions do happen ,for life safety of the passengers.They in turn rtrain the crew . Thus ,I agree that extra safety training is imperative;) .Then the passengers should be assembled in the main theatre (twice if need be so all see) & a film presentation covering safety at sea issues be shown ;):)

Lurker here....

After being a crew member for over 10 years on 3 different lines, I can tell you that the crew are trained, trained, and trained. Way back when I was a shoppie and I had to take my lifeboat commander certification. I had to get off the ship in Vancouver and go to firefighting school. I had to go out in the ocean and learn to flip a liferaft rightside up by myself in the sea. Lots of classes, lots of training, lots of tests. NCL was super strict with safety. HAL was good. Carnival was okay. So don't know how Costa was. But I wouldn't have known the difference if I didn't start on NCL first. This was a few years ago, but I don't like how people are blaming the crew. There was a strict chain of command, and commands come from the evacuation leader, the captain, and the hotel director, and the cheif engineer. What were the other senior officers up to I wonder? My husband was a cheif engineer and he always made it clear that if there was an emergency he would not be getting off the ship with me, if at all! Shame on the captain if he did abandon ship, that is all I have to say. And I can only remember a couple ships where the drills were not actaully on the boat deck with lifejackets. And maybe one run where the boat drill was not before we sailed.

But anyways, not sure what my point is, just that I don't think the crew should be blamed so quickly.

Maybe the pax should have to have a class and quiz too before they get their S&S card? I know, won't work, just thinking......

I see your point if the chain of command broke down it was hard for the crew to do anything on their own , maybe they were in fear of making a mistake. Who knows we were not there. I hope I never said anything to make it sound like I was blaming the crew because I wasnt .The Capt and the officers that left early yes the crew No.

Lurker here....

God is the ultimate judge. We are here on earth for a very short time. In our opinion you are correct that no one should be acting as judge or even jury .

This was a terrible tragedy with loss of lives (one lfe lost is too many) .We should hear about what happens in the Italian court some time in the future . We all need to let blame rest & keep the families of those who lost loved ones in our thoughts & prayers

God is the ultimate judge. We are here on earth for a very short time. In our opinion you are correct that no one should be acting as judge or even jury .

This was a terrible tragedy with loss of lives (one lfe lost is too many) .We should hear about what happens in the Italian court some time in the future . We all need to let blame rest & keep the families of those who lost loved ones in our thoughts & prayers

That is so true , and if they indeed left people on that ship to perish , they will have to live with that fact the rest of their lives.

This year on RCI, I was very surprised that we did NOT have to wear our life jackets. So I made sure we had all 4 in our cabin including 1 small for our 9 year old. Sure enough there was only 2!!!! I asked the steward 2 extra life jackets for the kids. They also did NOT demonstrate the evacuation alarm as it was previously done on the 5 other cruises we had done (Costa, Disney, Carnival).....

I missed my last RCCL cruise due to a medical problem but was acutally looking forward to not have to wear the life jacket to the muster drill. I think the reason they stopped doing it is because they keep life jackets at the muster stations and felt it was better for guests to quickly make their way to the muster station instead of trying to get to their room to retrieve them before going to their station. Seems to be a logical explanation.

...they keep life jackets at the muster stations and felt it was better for guests to quickly make their way to the muster station instead of trying to get to their room to retrieve them....

Speaking for myself, I'd feel more comfortable knowing that there is a life jacket for me and my family in my room. If we can't get back there, then sure, I'll queue up at some giant locker hoping to get one.

We sailed on Costa Atlantica 2 years ago, and recently on RCI Freedom of the seas. Incredibly enough, after all the comments I have been reading about the evacuation, our family always agreed that the best emergency drill we had was on the Costa Atlantica. It was almost a military drill!!!! The staff was reviewing our life jacket set-up tightening-up the belts, etc. The information was given in 6 languages!!

We also sailed on Costa Atlantica 2 years ago in the Norwegian Fjords. The drill was on the second day (at sea), but it was in the theatre with the information i 6 languages.

But on Costa Luminosa last year we shoud stand in lines of five at our Muster Station on the deck in the middel of the sea, and the information was also here given in 5-6 languages with a crewmember for every 10 meter demonstrating how to get on the life jackets.

I think that Costa is going to be the safest cruise company, because what they have learned from Concordi is going to tighten up the security procedures.

Archived