Muster Drill

terrymtex01

As intrusive and unnecessary as it sometimes feels, I too would hope they go back to the gathering near the lifeboats and full drill with life jackets. Royal to me always seem to do the best job at this.

Holland America also does a full muster, or they did in 2009. We had a comedienne in our group who was cracking jokes, and they actually told her to shut up over the loud speaker. So HAL, too, takes the muster very seriously.

I wonder what if anything will change about the drills...Many passengers reminded me of kids exiting a school during a fire drill--- laughing and not paying attention.

In my opinion, meeting in a dining room and watching someone put on a life jacket will never carry the same sense of importance as actually mustering near the lifeboat with life jackets on. I understand what folks are posting about logistical challenges to doing a full muster, but folks don't take things seriously anymore, and meeting in some random public space and sitting around doesn't help. I strongly wish NCL would work out a way to go back to the full muster.

I think muster drills should be done in the station, with life jackets, that you would have to go to in case of an emergency. Years ago, when I was on a Disney cruise, before they were officially Disney cruise line, I was on a ship where the engine caught fire in the middle of the night. It is a scary thing being woken to alarms and announcement to get your life jackets and report to your muster stations. I have to say it was handled well and dont recall a lot of panic. We were loaded into the lifeboats and sat dangling on the side of the ships for a very long period of time. The coast guard had to have boats pull us back and food and water flown in. We had to sleep on the decks and there was no air and limited water. Basically we could not shower so they had enough water to have functioning toilets. From what I remember it took us two or three days to get back to shore. I have taken many cruises since, but make sure I pay attention because I have had to experience and use first hand the information they are giving. I think drills should be done within the hour of sailing because you never know when something will happen.

I saw a person pass out from the heat mustering on DCL years ago in the Caribbean. We were out there for what seemed like forever, and it was simply brutal. I needed a shower and change of clothes afterwards. I'm fine with the current approach because I do my own research the location of boats, rafts and extra vests.

Having a muster station in a lounge is fine, as long as that is where you'll be mustering in the event of an emergency. And it does make some sense to muster there- it is roomier, climate controled, presumably quieter than outside, and easier to find. While each passenger is assigned to a lifeboat the main reason for the muster (when the shtf) is to make sure that all of the passengers are accounted for. The most important things to do in an emergency is to keep your wits about you and follow the directions of the crew.

In my opinion, meeting in a dining room and watching someone put on a life jacket will never carry the same sense of importance as actually mustering near the lifeboat with life jackets on. I understand what folks are posting about logistical challenges to doing a full muster, but folks don't take things seriously anymore, and meeting in some random public space and sitting around doesn't help. I strongly wish NCL would work out a way to go back to the full muster.

We have to agree with you. Although what other folks may do is their problem but I can also see the point of SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea). On our last cruise, we had 4 guys next to us and intoxicated. I can just visualize them being in an emergency situation next to us and how soon they'd go into panic mode (not knowing what to do) affecting us all. Did anyone notice todays Italian News Paper Headlines regarding the Concordia's Captain? "Chicken of the Sea".

In my opinion, I think the main issue here is the fact that it took over an hour for action to be taken to abandon ship, and not whether passengers & crew are fully trained. We've all done muster drills, with without jackets, inside outside, whatever. Point is we would all more or less, know where to go. You can follow every rule and have your own plan of action, but, what good will it do when you're standing outside waiting for the command? Are you going to lower your own lifeboat? Over 3,000 passengers & crewmembers got off that ship, showing they did something right. Maybe I'm missing something here & although I realize it's a strong command to abandon ship, perhaps as someone else stated these decisions should not be solely left to the Captain but rather to a specialized group trained to work together in an emergancy situation. Just my opinion.

I think I understand why the muster occurs in the central locations on board. I don't recall having a specific lifeboat assigned on my last cruise, and I suspect that's because when there are enough people in a restaurant (or wherever) to fill a boat, they will run the key cards for ID and take that group to a lifeboat that's ready to go. I might be wrong here, but that makes more sense to me than going to an assigned lifeboat and waiting for the other 100+ people assigned to that boat to show up.

I suspect NCL knows what it's doing here, but maybe that's the kind of question we should be asking the officers at M&Gs and have them tell us why they think the way they do it is better than what various passengers might think. And, as we know, there are a lot of ideas among the passengers.

As for me, I'm getting ready to board the Epic next week and the Dawn the week after that. Looking forward to both trips.

I think some people understand, but others don't, that you muster in an emergency the same place you muster in the drill. It sounds like people think you are supposed to head to your life boat in an emergency.

There are good reasons not to go to the lifeboat area, giving the crew access to lowering the boats is the main one, and obviously, if your muster station is unaccessible, you will go where the crew tell you to go.

A true full muster drill would be to go to your lounge, with your life jacket on, have everyone's card's scanned and then follow the crew leader to your boat. I think this is done occasionally, but is not the regular drill.

I agree that we all need to be aware of where to go and also to know that if there is a real emergency, this may all go out the window because of people panicking.

Having a muster station in a lounge is fine, as long as that is where you'll be mustering in the event of an emergency. And it does make some sense to muster there- it is roomier, climate controled, presumably quieter than outside, and easier to find. While each passenger is assigned to a lifeboat the main reason for the muster (when the shtf) is to make sure that all of the passengers are accounted for. The most important things to do in an emergency is to keep your wits about you and follow the directions of the crew.

I just read an article that said one of the missing passengers has been found- safely back at home.

I find it hard to believe, (and felt this way before the ship accident), that they have done away with making you put life vests on, and making you go to your life boat station. I always listened carefully to everything that was said, and never took it lightly. Even though I would rather cruise, than fly, and fly rather than drive, you just never know!

I find it hard to believe, (and felt this way before the ship accident), that they have done away with making you put life vests on, and making you go to your life boat station. I always listened carefully to everything that was said, and never took it lightly. Even though I would rather cruise, than fly, and fly rather than drive, you just never know!

Our muster station was on the promenade deck so I can't comment on going to your life boat station.

However i don't find it hard to believe that they don't make you bring your life jacket and put it on. If you think about flying, they dont' have all the oxygen masks drop down, have you pull up your seat cushion to hug it, or pull out the life vest if your plane has one for demonstration purposes.

Our muster station was on the promenade deck so I can't comment on going to your life boat station.

However i don't find it hard to believe that they don't make you bring your life jacket and put it on. If you think about flying, they dont' have all the oxygen masks drop down, have you pull up your seat cushion to hug it, or pull out the life vest if your plane has one for demonstration purposes.

Of course they are ALWAYS on the Promendae deck, I just meant they should still make you go to your SECTION of that area, and have ur lifevest on. They do tend to vary just a bit (lifevests), but enough that I could get confused.

Good point, but I often wish they would show me exactly how to pull out that flotation device that is supposed to be under my seat. :confused:

Edited by Mooder

On the same token, they (meaning the airlines) don't issue the emergency proceedures upon landing either. I never did understand where or why the 24 hour thing "after" departure came into effect.

On the same token, they (meaning the airlines) don't issue the emergency proceedures upon landing either. I never did understand where or why the 24 hour thing "after" departure came into effect.

I was on a Costa cruise years back to the Mediterranean, (Costa Classica), and I have to say on any given day there was confusion just being on that ship. We had to listen to about 5 different languages on each , and every announcement..It is surely made for the country they sail out of. It is a great experience though, we always felt like we were some where other than home no matter on ship, or off.

Edited by Kosi

Not upon landing, but we're already up in the air. :eek: I'd say that's the equivalent of the first day of a several day or longer cruise. I'm only guessing here, but I'd say giving the ship 24 hours to conduct the muster is an acknowledgement that much of the crew have to pay attention to other things when first leaving port. 99.9% of the cruises I have been on have done it before sailaway so I'm very comfortable with that. It is clear that this was NOT the case with Costa.

Not upon landing, but we're already up in the air. :eek: I'd say that's the equivalent of the first day of a several day or longer cruise. I'm only guessing here, but I'd say giving the ship 24 hours to conduct the muster is an acknowledgement that much of the crew have to pay attention to other things when first leaving port. 99.9% of the cruises I have been on have done it before sailaway so I'm very comfortable with that. It is clear that this was NOT the case with Costa.

I fully agree! That being said and from what I've read, other countries (or cruiselines) aren't so "adament" on it. On our past cruises with NCL, Princess, Hal, and RCCL, the drills have always been accomplished "Prior" to departure. It hasn't been until the past few years that they were held in Lounges an such.

Good point, but I often wish they would show me exactly how to pull out that flotation device that is supposed to be under my seat. :confused:

It's not under your seat....

It IS your seat...

The bottom cushion comes out/up. Underneath is a strap across it. You hug it to your body with your arms under the strap...

For goodness sake, even though you are on vacation, do read the instructions on the back of your cabin door & tell the instructions to those who are too busy having a good time to read it. On some cruiselines your key card will state your muster station. In some cases, there are shortcuts to the muster station from your cabin (you do not have to go to a main stairwell, but a back staircase etc) so learn it. You don't know where you'll be on a ship if and when the call to muster occurs.

Remember fire drills in school? Everyone knew the way out! Let's get wise.

As far as our not ever having been instructed on how to enter the life boats, remember that these life boats are also sometimes the tender boats you will be using to get to shore in ports that do not have a dock. Note that the crew will help you aboard. But if the crew got stuck somewhere and is not available to help you into the lifeboat should there be a real emergency, it must be every man(woman/child/elderly) for himself. I would guess that you cannot enter a lifeboats without some crew member around because the lifeboats will still be in the air!

as far as the Concordia, I'm wondering if the reason no one saw any officers is that they all boarded the same life raft from the bridge! Has any officer been interviewed to state how he got off the ship?

I just got off the NCL Spirit on Sunday from a Western Carribbean cruise. They did the emergency drill prior to sailing. We had to report to our muster stations which were directly under our life boats, but did not have to bring our life jackets. They were very diligent about checking names against the lists on their clipboards. When one of the passengers voiced annoyance about having to do this drill he was told by the crew member. "Remember the Titanic?"

It's not under your seat....

It IS your seat...

The bottom cushion comes out/up. Underneath is a strap across it. You hug it to your body with your arms under the strap...

It depends on the plane ...both are true.

I've always thought having a muster station in the theater or MDR was ludicrous. Obviously some of the locations of the muster stations on Concordia contributed to passenger deaths, when they became trapped. I know I am not waiting in the theater while the ship is sinking! We always go try to find which lifeboat is ours. I guess we're paranoid but our backpack contains a space blanket, a liter of water, 2 super bright waterproof led flashlites, some granola bars, a Portable waterproof VHF radio with built-in GPS with DSC. My inclinometer from my Tartan is in there too. I probably should add a mini fish tackle box to it, but DW is telling me to get my paranoid self to sleep. HMMM. Think I'll throw a couple hundred feet if 1/2" climbing ropes and rappeling gear in them. Might need a bigger bag!:D

Edited by akupupule

I've always thought having a muster station in the theater or MDR was ludicrous. Obviously some of the locations of the muster stations on Concordia contributed to passenger deaths, when they became trapped. I know I am not waiting in the theater while the ship is sinking! We always go try to find which lifeboat is ours. I guess we're paranoid but our backpack contains a space blanket, a liter of water, 2 super bright waterproof led flashlites, some granola bars, a Portable waterproof VHF radio with built-in GPS with DSC. My inclinometer from my Tartan is in there too. I probably should add a mini fish tackle box to it, but DW is telling me to get my paranoid self to sleep. HMMM. Think I'll throw a couple hundred feet if 1/2" climbing ropes and rappeling gear in them. Might need a bigger bag!:D

Make the bag too big and it won't go in the lifeboat with you, it'll be left behind.