MSC Poesia hits dock in Jamaica thursday

DeniseAndRoger

Isn't falmouth still rather new? I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in the news. I assume a guide pillar is important but guess not important enough to make news.

We sail on her in 19 days

PBC like you I wonder what we'll hit in St thomas, san juan or nassau,

should make for even more of an adventure don't ya think.

Ditto, we sail after you get off, please make sure the oil is topped up please. :)

at least leave us enough wine on board so we don't care if something happens.

:)

Don't think the oil being topped off will be a problem. As for the wine, sorry they'll have to get more if/when we return to Ft lauderdale before you board.

Where is this ship's home port? Was the captain AND the crew all drunk. A buddy of mine was on Mariner docked next to this ship in Jamacia and said they scraped the pier and kept on going! What's the deal with ships these days?

Did your friend see the steel guide pillar sink like "Wreckem2013" said above or is that your buddy? IMO hitting steel and concrete hard enough to sink it would leave a good size dent not just a scrape.

Wonder whats next hitting another ship? oh wait forgot I read that it did that already too, afew years ago.

Don't think the oil being topped off will be a problem. As for the wine, sorry they'll have to get more if/when we return to Ft lauderdale before you board.

Did your friend see the steel guide pillar sink like "Wreckem2013" said above or is that your buddy? IMO hitting steel and concrete hard enough to sink it would leave a good size dent not just a scrape.

Wonder whats next hitting another ship? oh wait forgot I read that it did that already too, afew years ago.

Its not me, but to see both accidents you had to move from the starboard side to the port side while it sailed away.

I am not sure if it was concrete and steel, but it definately was not a floating bouy(they hit a couple of those too). I am not sure exactly what they are called, there were two of them and IIRC three floating bouys on each side. It was a fairly good sized cylindrical pillar painted red(other side of pier had green ones). It was definitely anchored to something that kept it in place and looked pretty sturdy when the ship struck it. The ship ran into it and kept going, and eventually the pillar leaned over and completely sank. It then ran into the floating buoy.

So true! I have a 29 foot motorhome and have to be very careful with that one too. I can't imagine what a boat would feel like!

:eek:

In contrast to what the MSC ship did, Mariner sailed pretty far out before making its turn. It also pushed off from the pier quite a bit more before moving forward.

Its not me, but to see both accidents you had to move from the starboard side to the port side while it sailed away.

I am not sure if it was concrete and steel, but it definately was not a floating bouy(they hit a couple of those too). I am not sure exactly what they are called, there were two of them and IIRC three floating bouys on each side. It was a fairly good sized cylindrical pillar painted red(other side of pier had green ones). It was definitely anchored to something that kept it in place and looked pretty sturdy when the ship struck it. The ship ran into it and kept going, and eventually the pillar leaned over and completely sank. It then ran into the floating buoy.

I was on the pool deck of the Poesia for this. We hit the pier hard enough for people to be knocked off balance. We then watched from the railing as the ship plowed over the very sturdy-looking structure in the water. It seemed as though the structure was made to give way, but we gave it a really good whack. It was a little funny to us that the ship carrying the Jam Cruise would be the one careening out of port, but we were also surprised that the ship just kept going.

MSC Poesia was maneuvering out of the Port of Falmouth when the ship’s port side came in contact with the pier due to strong wind gusts of 32 knots. Guests were always safe. The ship is fine and made its way to its next port of call as scheduled.

MSC Cruises USA

Archived