Would I be covered if plane was late and I missed the ship and needed to rent car

stipmom

Most travel insurance only covers a trip delay if the delay is longer than a certain number of hours, but it depends on the policy. So you would have to read the details on the specific policy you were considering. In your case for a 5pm sailing, with an 11am arrival, the plane would only need to be delayed 4 hours and you would miss it, and most policies I've seen only cover delays of 6 hours or more.

One other thing, since you mention a rental car, what port would you be looking to join the ship at if you missed your sailing? This is not a trip insurance issue, but one of the few places I can think of where you could drive to the next port would be a South Florida sailing where the next port was Key West. BUT, you most likely would not be allowed to board in Key West because it would violate the PVSA. Something to think about if that is your case.

As stated earlier,,, "drive to next port"?

Key West? You wouldn't be allowed to board due to PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act). Even if they did, now a passport would be required.

Ensenada? Maybe,,, but then a passport would be a requirement because you are no longer on a "closed loop cruise".

Would insurance cover? Unknown. The details are in the fine print as to definitions.

As stated earlier,,, "drive to next port"?

Key West? You wouldn't be allowed to board due to PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act). Even if they did, now a passport would be required.

Ensenada? Maybe,,, but then a passport would be a requirement because you are no longer on a "closed loop cruise".

Would insurance cover? Unknown. The details are in the fine print as to definitions.

The PVSA does not deny boarding entirely. But it DOES involve paperwork and fines levied to the cruise line, so it's up to the line if they want to pass on the fine and let you board. Some lines will, some won't.

Archived