What will you do to to make your next cruise safe in an emergency?

geocruiser

1. Find a way to attend Life Boat/Muster Drills no matter what it takes!! No more staying in my stateroom as per instructions and watching the Safety Video (I am Handicapped and some ships are almost impossible for me to get to the Life Boat) BUT in case of an emergency, I HAVE to get there so I'd better find a way before hand!! The crew will have enough to do in case of an emergency without having to give me special attention!!

1.a. Make sure I know how to put my life vest on CORRECTLY!!!

2. Make sure that I have all medications, Medical History printout, travel documents, Passports, Credit Cards, ID Cards, Cell Phone and a change of clothes with me at all times (easier for me than many as I have a scooter and can keep a small bag on it)

3. Make sure that hubby knows NOT to try and find me!! We will find each other later when we are safe. Better not to meet somewhere and endanger each other or others.

4. Make sure that I pay attention to greater detail to the ship layout and possible routes of escape such as, how many wall panels from the lower level dining room doors to the first doors out to the Promenade deck. (with limited vision if the lighting goes out I will have a hard time seeing the low level emergency lighting in the floor so will have to depend on feel.)

5. Try to keep a good attitude no matter the situation...

Joanie

This is excellent. Also your Plan B to attempt to get to your station on your own is a good one. Waiting to be rescued can sometimes be the wrong decision as seen on Sept.11.

How to pick a cruise line for safety

By Paul Motter

Published January 16, 2012 | FoxNews.com

The grounding of the Costa Concordia off the coast Italy’s Tuscany coast late Friday is a sad and regrettable incident.

The incident has many in the maritime industry and those contemplating a cruise questioning how something like this could happen. After all the Costa Concordia, which was carrying 4,200 passengers and crew, was stocked with the state-of-the-art navigation equipment.

(edited for space)

How to Pick a Cruise Line

The Concordia incident only reinforces what I have said a hundred times: Choose a cruise line that specializes in your native language.

Costa, MSC and other cruise lines offer cruises in as many as five languages simultaneously. Europeans are used to hearing announcements in five languages consecutively; Italian, French, German, Spanish and English. In a critical situation the idea of having to communicate in five languages is not just daunting, it can mean life or death.

Also avoid itineraries where passengers are embarked at several ports of call. During a disaster, having people onboard who have not yet had a boat drill can really add to the chaos.

In addition, International maritime law says a ship must hold its muster drill within 24 hours of sail-away. There are cruise lines that conduct it before the cruise even begins. Although it did nothing illegal, Concordia proved it is possible to have a life or death event long before the 24-hour limit expires.

Safety First

The U.N’s convention dealing with maritime safety sets minimum standards for basic safety training for all crew members. Already in light of the Costa Concordia, some are questioning whether the minimum standards are enough.

Here is my experience: working on five different cruise ships from Holland America, Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Viking Line I was employed as a stage manager, but I was also trained in fire fighting and evacuation procedures. On each ship I had a regular lifeboat station and duty to perform.

Every cruise ship has full-time safety officers, but it is the regular crewmembers; cooks, room stewards, singers and dancers, who are placed in critical positions to run evacuations in times of emergency. They’re trained to do their jobs, no more or less.

Some cruise lines are also changing their policies on requiring passengers to wear a lifejackets during the muster drill. According to law, attendance is required. But due to the size of ships, having sometimes up to 6,000 passengers running back and forth to their cabins is considered a time consuming and potentially chaotic process.

So if you are planning a cruise, check to see what their safety procedures are ahead of time. When you are onboard, remember they are on the back of your cabin door.

If Disaster Strikes

If disaster strikes hopefully the safety measures and crew training will kick in. But, if chaos ensues here are a couple of quick reminders.

Look for officers: Crew members are required to have basic safety training, but

officers have more advanced training. Also officers are giving direction and supervision to crew members.

Get your life jacket: Even if it is a false alarm having your life jacket handy could save your life. Every stateroom has life jackets. If you cannot reach your room, every lifeboat is supposed to be equipped with enough life jackets for everyone on the boat. Also look on the promenade deck for containers that say “life vests.” They may be locked, but in a time of emergency they’re made to be broken open.

Look for life rafts: If lifeboats are not available, look for life rafts. Typically they’re kept in cylindrical fiberglass barrels marked “life raft” on the promenade deck. They are self inflating and have bright orange roofs. On most ships they can also be boarded from the Promenade deck using a davit system.

The Bottom Line

In the end, Concordia is a disaster that will not be soon forgotten. The fact that it ran aground off nearby Giglio Island most likely prevented more deaths. While the investigation into the incident continues, it’s a clear reminder that even the most modern of cruise ships can succumb to human or navigational errors. If disaster strikes, knowing what to do ahead of time can save your life.

Paul Motter is the co-founder and editor of CruiseMates.com cruise travel guide.

Found a link to this while just purusing the internet and have now registered our upcoming cruise with our Foreign Affairs department. Should I run into any problems, they have our passport numbers and our itinerary and hopefully, that will help if, heaven forbid, there were a problem.

Mar56

Found a link to this while just purusing the internet and have now registered our upcoming cruise with our Foreign Affairs department. Should I run into any problems, they have our passport numbers and our itinerary and hopefully, that will help if, heaven forbid, there were a problem.

Mar56

Do you have the link?

The 'go bag' is a good idea. Small and lighweight with the bare minimum in it and something that can go over body to keep hands free. VERY light, small backpack or long strap shoulder bag. Also a good idea to have it right beside the safe.

I have to honestly say though that as horrifying as this whole event is, I am not going to worry we will be in a like situation. I have far too much trust and confidence in the fine HAL crews and I am not going to go on our next cruise worrying we might sink.

I well might get run over by a bus before that ever happens.

Sure, it certainly can happen but I'm just not going to dwell on it.

I'll be prepared and make reasonable choices and then what will be will be.

JMO.

Dear JMO,

Having just finished a year of cancer treatment,and feel great, I am fully confident that my cruise on the ZUIDERDAM to Panama at the end of March will have the latest in safety measures in place. A go bag is a great idea and there are many gym bags that are somewhat watertight and might work perfectly. Leave a copy of your passport on your kitchen table for family members to have should an emergency occur and you cannot locate the original. It will certainly be useful to have for your return home. Have faith cruisers, we will all be safe, this was human error. The ships are safe if the rules are followed.

Ann:D

I always take a small pouch that can be worn around the neck that holds our passports, ID, a credit card and cash. It is typically in the room safe unless we are ashore. I think I will keep this habit, be extra vigilant about making sure it is ready to go, and hope that I can reach my cabin in the very unlikely event an abandon ship order is issued. There is a risk here, but the risk of taking that off on board the ship to jump in a hot tub or pool and having it disappear far outweighs the risk of needing it and not being able to get it IMO.

Another safety measure might be to consider, if you are cruising with a line whose most frequently-spoken language isn't yours, is to learn a few safety words in that language. Even though English is widely expected, in a panic most people will speak in their mother tongue. Even knowing the words for "where", "go", "stop", "come" "help" "wait" "lifeboat" etc. could be very helpful. We've all heard of the Americans on the Costa who were hearing directions shouted but had no idea at all what they were saying and they didn't know how to ask directions to the lifeboats and they hadn't been to the drill yet.

1. Find a way to attend Life Boat/Muster Drills no matter what it takes!! No more staying in my stateroom as per instructions and watching the Safety Video (I am Handicapped and some ships are almost impossible for me to get to the Life Boat) BUT in case of an emergency, I HAVE to get there so I'd better find a way before hand!! The crew will have enough to do in case of an emergency without having to give me special attention!!

1.a. Make sure I know how to put my life vest on CORRECTLY!!!

2. Make sure that I have all medications, Medical History printout, travel documents, Passports, Credit Cards, ID Cards, Cell Phone and a change of clothes with me at all times (easier for me than many as I have a scooter and can keep a small bag on it)

3. Make sure that hubby knows NOT to try and find me!! We will find each other later when we are safe. Better not to meet somewhere and endanger each other or others.

4. Make sure that I pay attention to greater detail to the ship layout and possible routes of escape such as, how many wall panels from the lower level dining room doors to the first doors out to the Promenade deck. (with limited vision if the lighting goes out I will have a hard time seeing the low level emergency lighting in the floor so will have to depend on feel.)

5. Try to keep a good attitude no matter the situation...

Joanie

You have my full admiration and respect, Irl_Joanie!!

Rowena

What, if anything, do you think will change on HAL?

Carnival Corporation Announces Comprehensive Audit and Review of Safety and Emergency Response Across All Its Cruise Lines

MIAMI – January 19, 2012 – Following the tragic Costa Concordia accident, Carnival Corporation, parent company of Costa Cruises and nine leading cruise lines around the world, today announced a comprehensive audit and review of all safety and emergency response procedures across all of the company’s cruise lines.

Carnival Corporation and the cruise industry as a whole have maintained an excellent safety record over the years. “However, this tragedy has called into question our company’s safety and emergency response procedures and practices,” said Micky Arison, chairman and CEO of Carnival Corporation. “While I have every confidence in the safety of our vessels and the professionalism of our crews, this review will evaluate all practices and procedures to make sure that this kind of accident doesn’t happen again.”

The review is being led by Captain James Hunn, a retired U.S. Navy Captain and currently the company’s senior vice president of Maritime Policy & Compliance. Following a 32-year career in the Navy, Hunn has held senior positions at Carnival Corporation for nearly a decade, focusing on corporate-wide efforts to establish maritime policy standards, while overseeing the company’s health, environmental, safety, and security practices.

Hunn and senior health and safety executives from each of the lines will review all safety and emergency response policies and procedures, officer and crew training and evaluation, bridge management and company-wide response and support efforts. Hunn will report to the Health, Environment, Safety & Security Committee of the Board, and to Howard Frank, vice chairman and chief operations officer of Carnival Corporation.

In addition, the Health, Environment, Safety & Security Committee is engaging outside industry-leading experts in the fields of emergency response organization, training and implementation to conduct an audit of all of the company’s emergency response and safety procedures and to conduct a thorough review of the Costa Concordia accident.

Frank said, “This company-wide initiative will identify lessons learned and best practices to further ensure the security and safety of all of our passengers and crew.”

Archived