kids& celebrity?

spinard2000

Starting to worry that I made a mistake. I will be sailing on the solstice during spring break (for Ny),April 8-15. Reading the posts, I'm feeling as though others look down upon kids on Celebrity. My kids are 4 & 7, pretty well behaved but are active and move around. We've been on many cruises before(ncl, carnival, Rc) & wanted to do this itinerary, found it on the right dates on celebrity. We are both 40s professionals who like cruising. Thx for any feedback.

I wouldn't be concerned at all. We sailed on Celebrity in the Mediterranean last summer with our kids who were 14 and 8 at the time. There were a lot of families on board - in fact, we thought that it was a much younger crowd than we have seen on Princess and Holland America. We all had a great time and never saw anyone who seemed the least bit bothered by kids on board.

When you read message boards online the posters are essentially anonymous and will say things that they would never dare to say to someone in real life. Also keep in mind that only a small fraction of the passengers on your cruise will have been on these message boards. It seems to me sometimes that these people are deliberately trying to dissuade families in an attempt to try and create the image that certain cruiselines are adult-only. Rest assured that you will most definitely be welcomed by Celebrity and you will have a great cruise.

Lisa

You will be fine. Even on Celebrity, during Spring Break, there are plenty of kids. You will always get some people on these boards who complain, but that is on every line....I have even seen it on the RCL and NCL boards. You should have nothing to worry about.

Cruised celebrity eclipse last year during a spring break but only with my husband. Tons of kids on board all looked like they were having fun. Kids club was busy and so was the pool. Don't worry just pick the right line for you.

You did not make a mistake!

We were on the Eclipse last year for a Western Caribbean cruise with our 4-year-old DS. We are "middle aged" parents (40-something and 50-something). We wanted an upscale cruise experience, and that's what we got. The child care on the Solstice Class ships is amazing!!! Our DS had a great time, and because it's not a kid-centric cruise line, the child care wasn't crowded. DS got LOTs of personal attention, and it wasn't over-stimulating for him.

Celebrity might not be kid-centric, but it is certainly family-friendly, as long as you're not looking for things like waterslides and other "bells and whistles" for children.

The Eclipse (and I'm sure the Solstice) has a family pool, which is just a second pool on the main deck that is not too deep and encouraged for kids. There are also water fountains that are decorative, but that kids have fun playing in.

If you're on a beach-oriented itinerary, you will be off the ship a lot at the beach, and that's perfect for kids.

Just one thing... our DS has ADHD and can be difficult in public situations that are over-stimulating. He did have a complete meltdown during the muster drill, and everyone was looking at us. We did get some nasty stares. However, we were careful not to put him in situations that he couldn't handle. That meant we ate at the buffet instead of the long main dining room meal. DH and I went to the dining room twice while DS was in the child care and ate with the kids.

You know your kids and what they can handle. As long as you are respectful to others, as we tried to be, you will not have a problem. Enjoy!

We took 4 of our children on the Celebrity Summit last May and they had a blast!

The kids club was enjoyed by our younger ones (10 & 5)

I was nervous before taking them that we might get some nasty glares, but we never experienced that.

We've sailed Celebrity with our DD several times. With a 4YO and a 7YO, most cruise ships will be fine -- the 4YO and 7YOs primarily use the Kids' club programs for entertainment, and X has a good program. You are sailing at a time when there will be lots of other kids.

Celebrity may not have the waverider and rock climbing walls, and ice skating rinks; but do have nice facilities with their kids club.

Took our 2 and 4 year old girls on the Summit this past summer. The girls had a blast. I thought the staff was very nice to the girls and treated them very well. We didn't get any stares only comments on how cute they were. They went to the dining room every night. I have to say I was nervous after reading a lot of negative comments on here, but we didn't encounter anything negative all week.

When cruising (or going anywhere - land restaurant/grocery store/etc.) don't let other people dictate what you can & cannot do. If you were able to book the cruise with your son then it is fine to take him!

If any cruise line wants to sail adults only, they can block a child from being booked, until you run into that go without worry.

We did a 11 night celebrity cruise and my 2 boys, 5 and 7 at the time had plenty of other kids to play with in the fun factory. We would be going on Celebrity again for Spring Break but we wanted a different itinerary than what was available.

Despite what you might read on these boards, kids are MORE than welcome on any of the mainstream cruiselines. No one will bat an eye!

The extreme "luxury" lines don't offer much in the way of children's activities or entertainment, but all of the basic cruiselines actively court kids and families! Go! Have fun!

We sailed on the Summit during Thanksgiving week with our 8 yr old DD, and we were seated with another family that had a young son (probably about 4) and a 7 yr girl.

On the 2nd formal night (Thanksgiving), during our early dinner in the MDR, a very nice lady stopped by the table to compliment the children saying she didn't even realize they were there all week until someone else at their table pointed out how cute the kids looked all dressed up that evening, and how proud we should be since they were so well behaved.

As long as you continue to parent your kids during your cruise and respect the cruiseline's rules, you'll be fine and you'll have an amazing time, too!

Archived