Corrporate Greed-Goodbye Spinnaker

Bankshot

The Star and the Dawn have relocated the Spinnaker lounge from deck 12 to a windowless space on deck 7. The beautiful, 180 degree views, the bar and the comfortable conversation areas have been replaced by additional cabins and suites. This prime viewing-sitting-dancing-drinking space was very popular. We've cancelled our March cruise on the Star. Is anyone else as disappointed as we were with this blatant display of greed?

Bankshot,

We are also really disappointed in the change.

We are going on the Dawn this month and wish it hadn't been refurbished in this way.

Greed as you say.

I hope we all find an effective way to complain to NCL so they don't do it to any other ships.

Tom

The Star and the Dawn have relocated the Spinnaker lounge from deck 12 to a windowless space on deck 7. The beautiful, 180 degree views, the bar and the comfortable conversation areas have been replaced by additional cabins and suites. This prime viewing-sitting-dancing-drinking space was very popular. We've cancelled our March cruise on the Star. Is anyone else as disappointed as we were with this blatant display of greed?

You call it "greed". I call it "good business sense".

It is what it is and the old Spinnakers is gone. What took its place is a combination of VERY nice suites making excellent use of the exterior window walls.

We had the pleasure of sailing in 12018, SJ family suite without balcony on the Star for the fall pacific coastal. Beautiful suite with plenty of room and at least visual privacy for the four of us (all adults). Stateroom sleeps six so a family can share the space with everyone having full suite perks at a reasonable price.

Our same group has one of the SG family suites with balcony booked on the Star out of New Orleans for January 2013 and are looking forward to it.

I don't remember the Spinnaker being really popular on any of the ships that had it except once in a while when they played games such as bingo or at night for the newlywed game or the Quest. Then as soon as that event was over it went back to barely being used. No one really danced to the bands they had or to the canned music that sometimes played. And at night the blinds come down and you can't see out anyway. During the day it was practically empty except on the Pearl in Alaska - there some people used it to whale watch.

So not really a lose to some of us. Nothing wrong with looking at the bottom line.

I don't remember the Spinnaker being really popular on any of the ships that had it except once in a while when they played games such as bingo or at night for the newlywed game or the Quest. Then as soon as that event was over it went back to barely being used. No one really danced to the bands they had or to the canned music that sometimes played. And at night the blinds come down and you can't see out anyway. During the day it was practically empty except on the Pearl in Alaska - there some people used it to whale watch.

So not really a lose to some of us. Nothing wrong with looking at the bottom line.

You describe the way the Spinnaker is on all the ships. Empty about 80% of the time. I would rather be outside if the weathers good.

I was very disappointed too. The original forward viewing Spinnaker was the best lounge. The fact it was not crowded except at night was especially appealing.

I can't fault NCL though. They need to keep afloat somehow business wise. While an quiet lounge is wonderful to me, I can't help but realizing it must be a money losing business.

Ok.. The old spinnaker was nice... But cancel a cruise because of it? Nope... That would be ridiculous. The new suites are interesting, and as long as they have a new spinnaker lounge somewhere for the smaller shows, I'm good...

More like good business, not greed. There is still a Spinnaker lounge, its located somewhere else. NCL was losing business not having the larger family cabins on these two ships, now they don't lose business...

Very good point, Don. I expect they will do the same on the Sun. I hardly ever saw the huge observation room utilized and on the Sun the OS and only some ph offer a bedroom. People like the 2 bdrm suites. Otherwise they have limited options that might make families book a suite attached to a non suite which is questionable since only part of the group pay for perks.

Very good point, Don. I expect they will do the same on the Sun. I hardly ever saw the huge observation room utilized and on the Sun the OS and only some ph offer a bedroom. People like the 2 bdrm suites. Otherwise they have limited options that might make families book a suite attached to a non suite which is questionable since only part of the group pay for perks.

The only cruise I saw much activity in a forward observatory lounge is on an Alaskan cruise steaming up and down the Inside Passage... All the rest of my cruises a forward observatory was usually empty except for Bingo...

When we were on the Dawn in 2010, the views in Spinnaker were amazing. But like someone noted, the space was rarely used. We spent one afternoon there lazing about enjoying the view (on our last sea day after we were officially "burnt" :p), but I agree that it makes complete sense to use the space for gorgeous suites. It's the experience of being at sea with family and friends that I crave, I'm not particularly attached to a specific location on a ship.

I thought Sun no longer has the forward Spinnaker anymore? Or am I mixing it with another ship? I know Sky still has it.

Someone else brought up a great point that a forward looking lounge would be PERFECT for Alaska cruises. I cruise Alaska on a HAL ship with a beautiful forward lounge. It made the cruise.

I thought Sun no longer has the forward Spinnaker anymore? Or am I mixing it with another ship? I know Sky still has it.

Someone else brought up a great point that a forward looking lounge would be PERFECT for Alaska cruises. I cruise Alaska on a HAL ship with a beautiful forward lounge. It made the cruise.

The Sun still had it's forward Observation lounge last Jan. Everytime we were there is was mostly empty.

On our Alaskan cruise on the Star the Spinnaker was always packed with people watching the scenery or whale watching. You had to get there early to get a good seat by the windows. This lounge is especially popular in Alaska and is probably why the Star is being replaced in Alaska by the Jewel.

I am booked on the Star repo this year from New York to New Orleans and the Spinnaker isn't as important for sight-seeing on a cruise in the Atlantic or Caribbean as there isn't really much to see except sea.

223295203_Alaska137(Small).jpg.8402ed23cf08972326b4b88a3b796fd0.jpg

This topic has been discussed before and I'll stick with my same view of it as before. Any removal of a former public space that had the option to be used by all paying customers for the intended purpose of providing enjoyment for a select few passengers diminishes the cruise experience for the masses.

Years ago, many ships had several decks in the aft section where you could view the ocean. Today cabins fill those decks and leave the majority of passengers with one option, the top deck. On the Epic, they have taken away forward viewing of the sea unless you are willing to pay for it. Sadly, this seems to be the direction that the industry is headed in. More cabins, less public space and more charges for everything will be the norm.

If you enjoy the new spaces, more power to you. I don't fault you for that. If you are a person that usually books an inside cabin and rarely pays extra for anything though, just realise that for you, the ships are shrinking in size even if they appear to be getting larger. That is, unless you are willing to pay a premium in the future. Just my opinion, it may not be yours.

I was more upset when the laundry rooms were removed. That move I saw as complete corporate greed and anti-customer. The bag of laundry crappy offer as a replacement to the laundry rooms is offensive to me having a family with children who get clothes really dirty. One small bag of laundry and them charging $20 is awful corporate greed.

But the Spinnaker Lounge doesn't bother me much. There's plenty of other nice places to relax and have a drink. Pp's are right, I never saw the place very well utilized.

Archived