Corrporate Greed-Goodbye Spinnaker

Bankshot

We find it odd so many people say the Spinnakers are not used. We usually go there several nights every cruise, more actually than the theater. We love the game shows, dance parties, and of course the Quest. We have attended several CC M&Gs and Latitude parties there as well. Sure all these activities can be had in another venue, but then the activities held in that venue must be either eliminated or moved.

We currently have no cruises booked on the Dawn or the Star but not because of the moving of the Spinnakers. We do however think it reduces the number activities offered on any given night. Many nights we have had to choose between Spinnakers or Bliss/Fizz on what we want to do that night.

I would not go so far as to call it greed, but a decision that gives us less entertainment options for the same $.

The new Spinnaker's on the Dawn is actually a very nice venue--so I don't believe it reduced the number of shows or activities overall. Also, the Dawn has lots of nice public areas remaining--many nooks and crannies. Just off the SKY and it amazed me that so little of the public space was utilized. But I can certainly understand someone's disappointment if their favorite space is removed.

The new Spinnaker Lounge is very nice and more active .

The SJ suites with the floor to ceiling windows are fantastic.

Looks like a win win to me. J.M.H.O.

Not sure it's a "win-win." How's the view from the new Spinnaker compared to the original location? I doubt many of my fellow cruisers on the Gem tomorrow will be in the hot tubs or out on the upper deck as we cruise by Lady Liberty at sail away.

We find it odd so many people say the Spinnakers are not used. We usually go there several nights every cruise, more actually than the theater. We love the game shows, dance parties, and of course the Quest. We have attended several CC M&Gs and Latitude parties there as well. Sure all these activities can be had in another venue, but then the activities held in that venue must be either eliminated or moved.

We currently have no cruises booked on the Dawn or the Star but not because of the moving of the Spinnakers. We do however think it reduces the number activities offered on any given night. Many nights we have had to choose between Spinnakers or Bliss/Fizz on what we want to do that night.

I would not go so far as to call it greed, but a decision that gives us less entertainment options for the same $.

Yeah that! But hey . . . it's a lot like Gordon Gekko said.

I will not book the Star again or the Dawn because of no forward observation louge.

Do not see anything that would change my mind on this.

Big Green

Good thing there are other ship and cruise line choices then. Happy sailing

Good thing there are other ship and cruise line choices then. Happy sailing

With so many people drawing uncrossable "lines in the sand":mad:, it's a wonder that we aren't sailing on empty ships! :rolleyes::cool::eek::p:D

I am one of those that will miss the Spinnaker forward observation lounge. I usually book an affordable inside, so having a nice place to relax in comfort with the great view is important. I will have to acknowledge the fact that as has been pointed out, the space is often underutilized. I looked at the current deck plans of the Star and Dawn, and see what they did/are doing...they made what was the shops into the 'new Spinnaker' at the aft end of deck 7, and moved the shops forward where there was the secondary lounge. So the bottom line is there is one less entertainment lounge on the ship, while at the same time additional passengers from the new cabins added. That will lower the ship's 'space ratio' somewhat.

If the ships had the layout of the Jewel class, at least they would still have the forward views available from the gym, but since their gym is aft, now you will have to 'brave the elements' for a forward view...

I will still sail NCL, but if I have a choice, will go for the Jewel class over the Dawn class.

We just got off the star the end of september 2011. We had a penthouse on deck 8 directly above the spinaker!! The glass in our bar would rattle at night from the noise of the lounge.

We complained foe two days and ncl gave us a nice percentage of our cost back. It is unlivable . The brochure that we had was 2011 and it still showed the spinaker in the front of the ship. I pointed this out to them and I see they have changed the brochure in 2012 copy. Just a warning if booking on the star.

chip brady

We just got off the star the end of september 2011. We had a penthouse on deck 8 directly above the spinaker!! The glass in our bar would rattle at night from the noise of the lounge.

We complained foe two days and ncl gave us a nice percentage of our cost back. It is unlivable . The brochure that we had was 2011 and it still showed the spinaker in the front of the ship. I pointed this out to them and I see they have changed the brochure in 2012 copy. Just a warning if booking on the star.

chip brady

The Dawn is now the same.

I am disappointed.

However, I would not call these changes, "greed". These new suites are loved by many and do "modernize" these ships a bit.

As they say "change is a 'mutha' "

Agree. Greed is the wrong term. Free enterprise is based on profit. Profit is good. NCL has a product to sell. Customers may select NCL based on its total package. Once the total package is not competitive, NCL would need to improve the package.

NCL may have diminished its product a bit, but the whole package will still attract.

I will go a bit different, I think the loss in my case is big negative.

Spinnaker's when going out of NY in the winter months was big plus You can see both sides Manhattan and the statue of Liberty from it you walk across the room.

We had inside rooms so we loved it when it was cold or raining or even snowing to be out on top.

I will watch what ships I book and this may well make adding a RCCL to see how I like them.

Like others said if your willing to pay more not big deal. But when paying for 2 teenagers and my wife and I it is hard to put out more money for a view.

I will go a bit different, I think the loss in my case is big negative.

Spinnaker's when going out of NY in the winter months was big plus You can see both sides Manhattan and the statue of Liberty from it you walk across the room.

We had inside rooms so we loved it when it was cold or raining or even snowing to be out on top.

I will watch what ships I book and this may well make adding a RCCL to see how I like them.

Like others said if your willing to pay more not big deal. But when paying for 2 teenagers and my wife and I it is hard to put out more money for a view.

Well, Royal Caribbean's ships in the NY City area leave from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ. They don't even sail down the Hudson River past the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline because their cruise terminal is south of there, so you won't get any view at all from their ships, except for looking back at them from a distance.

Any pictures of new spinnaker?

Imagine a cramped room with lots of chairs, flashing light thingies over a small floor where people play musical instruments and no windows.

Add some flowers and a wooden box and you may think you stumbled into a funeral parlor!

Cheers,

Norman

Archived