Our waiter 'hated'us

onthelake

On a recent cruise, our family of three asked for a table just for us. We were assigned a table for 10 with 7 of the seats 'blocked' for our 18 day cruise. Of course we were fully aware of the tipping amounts but we were not aware that tips are not pooled. We now realize that the waiter was upset that he was missing out on $$$ from 7 potential passengers for a long cruise. Overall, it was a situation we did not create and we did not realize the impact on the server until we returned. Now I feel that pooling tips, at least for wait staff is a more correct way to run the diningroom.

What would have been a better solution would have been to assign your family to a smaller table. I am not sure why only such a large table was available to you and perhaps you should have asked to be seated elsewhere in the dining room. Of course, that might also have resulted in the table for ten being totally empty which is something your waiter should have considered before blaming you for possible loss of tip money. Did his service actually reflect his upset or are you perhaps overthinking this whole thing? If his service suffered you should have commented to the head waiter or someone of authority in the dining room, especially since your seat assignment wasn't of your doing.

On a recent cruise, our family of three asked for a table just for us. We were assigned a table for 10 with 7 of the seats 'blocked' for our 18 day cruise. Of course we were fully aware of the tipping amounts but we were not aware that tips are not pooled. We now realize that the waiter was upset that he was missing out on $$$ from 7 potential passengers for a long cruise. Overall, it was a situation we did not create and we did not realize the impact on the server until we returned. Now I feel that pooling tips, at least for wait staff is a more correct way to run the diningroom.
How do you know this??? Do you know how many other tables your waiter had??? And what do you mean by "blocked". Sorry not quite understanding this post?:confused:

The waiter told us nightly how tips were an 'obligation', etc. It was very uncomfortable - and we cruise often but not on RCL so we did not know tips were not pooled. We considered asking for a different table but that seemed to have inherent problems - as in no small tables open so a probable replay of the situation we were in. and, of course, we had no idea that by requesting a table for the three of us, we would find ourselves the only ones at such a large table.
Have been on twenty plus cruises with RC and honestly have never ever once had a waiter mention tips, sorry???....K.O. Near Philly:confused:

How do you know this??? Do you know how many other tables your waiter had??? And what do you mean by "blocked". Sorry not quite understanding this post?:confused:
How could you " Couldn't disagree more with you sorry" when you aren't sure what they're saying. IMO, it doesn't matter if the guest knows how many tables or customers the waiter has. It MAY matter that those in charge of the waiter knows and has done their job appropriately but this IS NOT, in any way, the fault or responsibility of the guest.

Have been on twenty plus cruises with RC and honestly have never ever once had a waiter mention tips, sorry???....K.O. Near Philly:confused:
So you would agree it's inappropriate for the waiter to do so.

are you kidding me? I read somewhere that the OP put herself in this situation by making the request. Ok...maybe she created the situation by making the table request, but it sounds like it's her fault the situation happened. At least that's my take. I make table requests all the time. It's usually me and my deaf partner so I request a table for two because otherwise, she is left out of all conversation unless I end up interpreting for the entire dinner. If they place the two of us at a table for 10, that's mismanagement and if I were the waiter, I would take it up with management. That has nothing to do with the request and most certainly, the cruiser. It has everything to do with the fact that they placed 3 people at a table for 10. Duh...and to make a passenger feel guilty about it by mentioning tips?

On our cruise earlier this month, we were seated with 3 other couples (the waiter said) at an 8 top. The first night, only 2 couples. The second night, just the two of us. Our waiter was HORRIBLE, we never saw our head waiter, and we just decided not to go back so that he could tell me that I wouldn't like my food choices. Seriously, the service was laughably bad! And his table went empty the last 2 nights, according to a couple we met that sat near us. I'm betting his tip envelopes went empty, as well.

There is no "special request" here. A special request is a table by the window, away from the kitchen, close to the exit, etc. If there are 3 of us, and that is usually the case when we sail, we tell them 3 in our party. End of story. I would'nt have sat down when I saw the size of the table...would have gone back and requested something more appropriate to the size of our group.

I am not sure the comments about tipping were directed solely to them. There are other threads on here about waiters explaining tipping to guests at their tables. If a waiter ever tells me how much I am suppose to tip .. there goes their tip :rolleyes:

I fully agree. Having waited tables many years while in school, I fully understand the concept and have never undertipped. I am also quite forward when it comes to letting someone know my feelings about crass or inappropriate behavior. So, the first time a waiter lectures me on tipping we are likely to have an interesting discussion. I doubt they will lecture me a second time and I dare them to give me poor service.

I fully agree. Having waited tables many years while in school, I fully understand the concept and have never undertipped. I am also quite forward when it comes to letting someone know my feelings about crass or inappropriate behavior. So, the first time a waiter lectures me on tipping we are likely to have an interesting discussion. I doubt they will lecture me a second time and I dare them to give me poor service.

I agree! Feel the very same way.

But I can also understand how a person feels when directly confronted by a server about tips...........Its in American culture to tip.......but it is impolite/rude for a server to ask for them.

This is the primary reason I'll stay on the ship while visiting Jamaica......Ocho R ........they are so aggressive about asking for tips... It is disturbing...

I will resist the temption to judge the OP by suggesting they could have handled their situation a little different.....I see they felt uncomfortable and the server added to their discomfort.

Or you could have been seated at another table not assigned to him/her. In that case they would have also missed out on your tips. I have seen completely empty large tables for entire cruises a number of times.

It wasn't by our doing, but we were alone at a table for 10 on Majesty for a 3 day cruise. The table next to us, also 10 was full. The same wait staff had both tables. The staff loved us and hated the table for 10, primarily because the 4 grandparents were pretty obnoxious and demanding. We got the best service the entire cruise.

I would have told the head waiter to open up the table so others could sit there as well. Despite my prior request to be alone if no other table could be found.

They could have taken 2 from an 8 top at 2 or 3 other tables to fill in the blanks.

And what would the waiters from the other tables think of that? Now they have empty seats.

Seats are going to go empty in the dining room. They have to have enough seats to accomodate the maximum number of passengers the ship can hold' date=' and I bet that on most cruises they don't fill the ship (which isn't the same thing as selling every cabin). So this waiter went from nobody at a 10-top to 3 people, so three sets of tips instead of none. If he had the gall to complain about it (which I'm not really getting from what the OP wrote, just that he was trying to make sure that [u']they[/u] tipped him), then he's not my kind of guy.

And what would the waiters from the other tables think of that? Now they have empty seats.

Seats are going to go empty in the dining room. They have to have enough seats to accomodate the maximum number of passengers the ship can hold, and I bet that on most cruises they don't fill the ship (which isn't the same thing as selling every cabin). So this waiter went from nobody at a 10-top to 3 people, so three sets of tips instead of none. If he had the gall to complain about it (which I'm not really getting from what the OP wrote, just that he was trying to make sure that they tipped him), then he's not my kind of guy.

======

I offered my take on it and you offered yours, neither are "right" or "wrong."

And "how" do you know he went from "nobody" to "three" at a 10 top?

Maybe they reassigned those at that table to other tables with 2 seats open here or there to make the accomodation for the trio. So other waiters got a full table for 8 or 6 and the waiter at the 10 top that only had let's say 6 went down to three.

That is a POSSIBLE scenario, isn't it?

Maybe "that" is why the waiter was unhappy.

It is a possibility that is for sure.

======

I offered my take on it and you offered yours' date=' neither are "right" or "wrong."

Maybe they reassigned those at that table to other tables with 2 seats open here or there to make the accomodation for the trio. So other waiters got a full table for 8 or 6 and the waiter at the 10 top that only had let's say 6 went down to three.

It is a possibility that is for sure.[/quote']

Wow! whatever the waiter was "unhappy" about is not of the customer's concern. The logistics of the MDR seating and server placement is certaintly not the customer's concern! This "poor unhappy" waiter has affected the OP so much that the OP still felt compelled to write a thread about it long after they have returned from vacation!! This is the real issue! Am I the only one who sees this?

Wow! whatever the waiter was "unhappy" about is not of the customer's concern. The logistics of the MDR seating and server placement is certaintly not the customer's concern! This "poor unhappy" waiter has affected the OP so much that the OP still felt compelled to write a thread about it long after they have returned from vacation!! This is the real issue! Am I the only one who sees this?

Most people see this.

Unhappiness of the waiter is none of the passengers' concern and is unacceptable.

======

I offered my take on it and you offered yours' date=' neither are "right" or "wrong."

It is a possibility that is for sure.[/quote']

That would create quite a cluster as people who were already assigned to their tables arrived to find themselves relocated. Anything is POSSIBLE, but I would put that scenario into the "highly unlikely" bucket.:)

And maybe the waiter was being punished for poor performance - I have heard chatter on CC that, when a waiter doesn't get good ratings, s/he is assigned to less desirable assignments, which would presumably include an underpopulated area of the dining room.

Or maybe he just wasn't good at that part of his job, just broke up with his girlfriend and couldn't fake a happy attitude, all kinds of possibilities.

But the bottom line for me is that the OP shouldn't have been subjected to any show of attitude for chosing to dine just with her (his? wasn't paying attention) family.

The real crux of the problem is tipping. Other than the service industry how many professionals get a tip from their clients or customers when they do their job well? They should just pay these people more, up the cruise fares accordingly and if a waiter does not do his job well he should be replaced. Just my opinion...

The real crux of the problem is tipping. Other than the service industry how many professionals get a tip from their clients or customers when they do their job well? They should just pay these people more, up the cruise fares accordingly and if a waiter does not do his job well he should be replaced. Just my opinion...

Sorry I respectfully disagree..the system of tipping is fine and works well. It does keep some costs down. Some of the best service to be had is in the United States....This is in high end and lower end restuarants and resorts............where tipping is the norm. Tipping is not guaranteed so the service person must always serve to their best in antipation of a gratuity. Where this fails is where people accept or demand great service and then do not tip or where service people do not provide good service and then expect a tip or worse when the underserving ask for a tip!

Why didn't the Dining Room assign you to a smaller table? That's crazy. They would have known the impact to the waiter.

Sorry I respectfully disagree..the system of tipping is fine and works well. It does keep some costs down. Some of the best service to be had is in the United States....This is in high end and lower end restuarants and resorts............where tipping is the norm. Tipping is not guaranteed so the service person must always serve to their best in antipation of a gratuity. Where this fails is where people accept or demand great service and then do not tip or where service people do not provide good service and then expect a tip or worse when the underserving ask for a tip!

I suppose most people would disagree with me but when I see someone add 18 or 20% to a dinner bill, I cringe. Increasing the cost of a meal another 15, 18 or 20% just because the server did their job well is insane to me. I do tip on cruise ships but not near the amount they suggest.

I suppose most people would disagree with me but when I see someone add 18 or 20% to a dinner bill, I cringe. Increasing the cost of a meal another 15, 18 or 20% just because the server did their job well is insane to me. I do tip on cruise ships but not near the amount they suggest.

Well honestly, I do not like tipping 18 to 20 % either but I do it. This is just the cost of a meal dining out....Sure I d like the meal prices to be reduced by 50% or give free dessert.........Heck I'd like to be younger, thinner, richer and better looking....but I am forced to accept certain things...........:)

Don't suppose it, know it. Like it or not, there are generally accepted standards for gratuity amounts both at land-based restaurants and onboard cruise ships. When you choose to undertip those who worked hard to provide you with an excellent dining experience, you are punishing those workers, not their employers. Service industry employees depend on receiving tips to bring their earnings up to a living wage. Not sure why you cringe or resent them receiving their just due and the alternative would be to have your fare increased so that everyone will pay an amount that compensates for those who, like you, don't tip appropriately. If the system bothers you so much perhaps you should lobby your legislators and your representatives in Congress to change the laws which establish lower minimum wage levels for those whos jobs depend on receiving tips as part of their compensation.

As a server in a restaurant, I never begrudge the guest if they are sat at a table that is larger than their party. Sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Our restaurant is often on an hour-long wait and the number of guests in parties just doesn't match up to what our seating has to offer. If the hostess is clever, they will find a way to accommodate the guests so that is comfortable for them and lucrative for the server. It is never the fault of the guest. Like many others have said, I'd rather have a table of three than a table of zero. I've accepted that some nights will be profitable and others will be duds.

Archived