Surviving without texting

drmomsc

How do you keep in touch with your teens?

We are going on the Navigator. My teen son will want some freedom, but I also want to keep tabs on him. How do you keep track of your kids? Do walkie talkies work well on the ship?

Thanks!

I have found that the walkie talkies can be annoying and not work all that great, so we have communicated with our kids via post-it note on the mirror, voice mail on the room phone (which you can check from any house phone) and regular check-ins

Walkie-talkies are probably your best bet if you'd like to keep constant tabs. I've seen some people carrying huge walkies... I'd suggest a smaller size so he can fit it in his pocket. They also actually make walkie talkies that can send text messages. I think they're called Text Messengers, but I found some called iChat by Gear.

I go to Clemson! GOOO TIGERS! :D

I have found that the walkie talkies can be annoying and not work all that great, so we have communicated with our kids via post-it note on the mirror, voice mail on the room phone (which you can check from any house phone) and regular check-ins

Ooooo I like the ability to check the phone from a house phone!

Have scheduled check-ins, curfew, and a list of activities he'll attend. Make clear your expectations and follow through with punishment if they are violated.

Yes, following through is always the tough part, isn't it?

Walkie-talkies are probably your best bet if you'd like to keep constant tabs. I've seen some people carrying huge walkies... I'd suggest a smaller size so he can fit it in his pocket. They also actually make walkie talkies that can send text messages. I think they're called Text Messengers, but I found some called iChat by Gear.

Enjoy college- I miss those days!

It's a great school.

How do you keep in touch with your teens?

We are going on the Navigator. My teen son will want some freedom, but I also want to keep tabs on him. How do you keep track of your kids? Do walkie talkies work well on the ship?

Thanks!

Leave messages for each other on the room phone (can do this from any phone on the ship), designate check in times and places. What I did was take two different color highlighters and on the cruise compass, the things he wanted to attend were in one color and the things I wanted to attend were in a different color. That worked well. Also I bought (from Walmart) a little 8x10 dry erase board and stuck it to the inside of the cabin door (they're magnetic) and we left notes for each other. One of the best ones was when I woke up and saw a note that said "mom, went to get you some breakfast so you can have breakfast in bed"... he was 13 at the time also.

Leave messages for each other on the room phone (can do this from any phone on the ship), designate check in times and places. What I did was take two different color highlighters and on the cruise compass, the things he wanted to attend were in one color and the things I wanted to attend were in a different color. That worked well. Also I bought (from Walmart) a little 8x10 dry erase board and stuck it to the inside of the cabin door (they're magnetic) and we left notes for each other. One of the best ones was when I woke up and saw a note that said "mom, went to get you some breakfast so you can have breakfast in bed"... he was 13 at the time also.

thats so sweet!!!! :)

I plan on buying my boys waterproof watches because they are so used to having the clock on their iPhones. We will do the different color highlighter thing and tell them to meet us at certain places at certain times. I like leaving the messages on the phone. Good idea.

Loralie

I agree with the Post-It notes. Walkie-Talkies are a crapshoot. They may work in outdoor areas of the ship but inside not so good since you are technically inside a steel box. Walkie-Talkies are very short range low power devices, not like the mobile radios the crew uses to communicate. I would save the money from buying walkie-talkies for something else.

Agree, those Walkies work just great. BTW, Go Tigers!!:)

Awww how sweet. No chance I'll be reading that one! :rolleyes:

I don't think he's awakened before me since he was5 or so!

We were on the Freedom over Thanksgiving with our 16, 14 and 12 year old. We did post it and left messages on the phone. They found a group of kids the first day and hung out with them the entire time. They had a great time! By the way, Go Gamecocks!

Cheap FRS radios will not likely work well. GMRS radios will work better as they are stronger, but they cost more.

Whatever you buy make sure they have "privacy" settings - the standard 14 channels are quickly flooded in situations where hundreds (or thousands) of people are all trying to talk to each other and they quickly become useless - your kids will just turn them off as the constant screeching and yelling will become annoying.

The privacy options on many FRS/GMRS radios will allow you to set a "subchannel" where only those on the same subchannel will be received on the other radios with matching settings.

We personally used a mix of the answering machine, sticky notes, and pre-arranged meeting times backed up by timers on the kids iPod Touches. The Allure/Oasis do have the rental iPhones that can text/talk on the shipboard VoIP network, but despite the rental fees being reasonable the $1000 damage/loss fee steered us away from renting them.

Hi, please do not think I am stupid but I have never been on a cruise before, I will not have any children with me but was hoping to keep in touch with my son back in the UK, I presumed I would be able to text him on my phone but after reading this I guess that's not an option, I guess you can't get a signal on the mobile?

If your cellular carrier supports roaming on cellular-at-sea services (most of the more mainstream world carriers do) then you will have "normal" cell service...at a cost.

You may wish to keep the amount of texts limited, or as I mentioned earlier in this thread, opt for using WiFi and email at your ports of call instead for free.

If your cellular carrier supports roaming on cellular-at-sea services (most of the more mainstream world carriers do) then you will have "normal" cell service...at a cost.

You may wish to keep the amount of texts limited, or as I mentioned earlier in this thread, opt for using WiFi and email at your ports of call instead for free.

Thankyou, I wall all my service provider to find out costs, it's more for him, in case he needs to contact us as he is taking care of our house and animals.

We use Verizon and used text to communicate with our children while on the Oasis. Its was .50 sent .05 received. This only added about $15 to our bill for a 7 night cruise. Just make sure to call your provider before hand to have them enable international roaming on your phones.

Archived