Traveling with a 2 year old - Transportation

PrittiPiglet

My husband and I are cruise junkies. Last April, we took our son on his first cruise at the age of 7 months which was out of NYC so we just drove to the pier and didn't have to deal with flying.

This time around, our son will be 3 weeks shy of 2 years old when we travel in the Fantasy in Sept. 2012. We will be flying in from out of state. As we've done with all other cruises in the past going out of FL, we fly down the day before "just in case". Well, here's our dilemma. Since our son will be 2, if we fly down the day before, we will need to bring his car seat for going back and forth to the hotel/airport/pier, which is just one more thing to lug around. Plus, the expense of the hotel/food the night before. If we fly down the day of the cruise, we can just take the MYW bus to and from the pier and won't have to worry about needing the car seat. We do not plan on going anywhere at any of the ports of call that involve us getting in a car and needing the seat.

What would you all do? What do you recommend? I like going down the day before the cruise - leaves more time for vacation and no rushing around the morning of embarkation. Also, we have family I'd like to visit the day before the cruise which would necessitate a rental car and car seat.

I appreciate your comments!

What I like to do is to fly down the day before and stay in the Airport Hyatt Regency hotel. http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?null

It's literally upstairs, in the airport. That way, there's no transportation to/from the hotel. You save that time and money and it's very convenient.

Just get off of your plane, take the little tram over to the main terminal, up the escalator and you're at the front desk.

It's more expensive than most other hotels in the area but you pay for convenience. Thay also have a baggage pick-up service so you don't have to wait for your luggage at the carousel. Ask about it.

They have a restaurant in the hotel but there's also some fast food and meduim speed food in the airport below.

Wow, I know it must be overwhelming to figure it all out but here is what we are doing when we go on a cruise in May on the Disney Dream with a 2 year old. We are staying the night before at a Hotel in Orlando that provides FREE shuttle service from the airport to hotel. They will provide a car seat upon request. Also, this hotel provides transportation to the pier the next day at a very reasonable fee and hense, provides a car seat upon request. If your family members are close by and you would like to visit, maybe they can either borrow a car seat from someone and come visit you if you plan on driving around in the area the night before, or just come visit you at the hotel and not go anywhere. The hotel we are staying at has so many restaurants within walking distance that a car is not necessary. This was very easy for us to make the decision and no headaches involved. good luck.

When we went on our disney cruise with a 3 and 1 year old we stayed a few days before in disney and had a limo company pick us up and bring us to the port the mroning of the cruise. Took the disney bus from airport to hotel and then limo round trip to and from cruise. They supplied car seats which were fine for a small fee. That way no carseats x 2 for us to lug on cruise.

Wow, I know it must be overwhelming to figure it all out but here is what we are doing when we go on a cruise in May on the Disney Dream with a 2 year old. We are staying the night before at a Hotel in Orlando that provides FREE shuttle service from the airport to hotel. They will provide a car seat upon request. Also, this hotel provides transportation to the pier the next day at a very reasonable fee and hense, provides a car seat upon request. If your family members are close by and you would like to visit, maybe they can either borrow a car seat from someone and come visit you if you plan on driving around in the area the night before, or just come visit you at the hotel and not go anywhere. The hotel we are staying at has so many restaurants within walking distance that a car is not necessary. This was very easy for us to make the decision and no headaches involved. good luck.

What hotel are you staying at?

• 4 weeks later...

We found this to be a fantastic investment, in terms of air travel and being on the go. Rather than lug a car seat and a stroller through the airport, we just use this and check our vacation stroller. That way our son has his car seat on the airplane, we have his car seat for the rental car, etc. Yes, you'll need to stow it once you're on the ship but you'll still need it for his seat on the plane and it will make travel much easier.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533888&cmSource=Search

Seems like they've got the space to store all that smuggled liquor. They should be able to store car seats too!

We found this to be a fantastic investment, in terms of air travel and being on the go. Rather than lug a car seat and a stroller through the airport, we just use this and check our vacation stroller. That way our son has his car seat on the airplane, we have his car seat for the rental car, etc. Yes, you'll need to stow it once you're on the ship but you'll still need it for his seat on the plane and it will make travel much easier.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533888&cmSource=Search

Seems like they've got the space to store all that smuggled liquor. They should be able to store car seats too!

There is no "smuggled liquor" on DCL because you are welcome to bring aboard as much as you wish to carry on. (Carry on being key)

They don't store car seats, it is your responsibility to find a place to store it in your cabin. Many use the shower while it's not in use otherwise.

I have done both with a 2/3 year old....flown down the day of and the day prior. I prefer the day before and staying at the Hyatt in MCO. They also work with DCL to take your luggage from the room to the ship.

We use this restraint for our child when flying- http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Thanks for the suggestion! We ordered one for our trip next year as we will be flying down instead of driving.

Archived