The Not So Discretionary Discretionary Service Fees

plattworx

This is not true

It's almost true. If you don't pay the DSC, then the crew make about $50 per MONTH.

So you're right, the quote wasn't 100% accurate.... but the general sense of it was, absolutely right.

Such a small price to pay for what I have always considered excellent service. I think anyone who can afford to go on a cruise in the first place can well afford the service charge. Try going on a land vacation and find out what the tips will be. The small amount NCL charges is more than fair.

Such a small price to pay for what I have always considered excellent service. I think anyone who can afford to go on a cruise in the first place can well afford the service charge. Try going on a land vacation and find out what the tips will be. The small amount NCL charges is more than fair.

We normally do our holiday in Spain and only have to tip a fraction of that (about £70). All is well though, our agent told us that we can adjust it as we need to. She said that amount is actually set for the Americans and only needs to be considered if cruising in America not Europe.

Thank you to everyone who provided input.

We normally do our holiday in Spain and only have to tip a fraction of that (about £70). All is well though, our agent told us that we can adjust it as we need to. She said that amount is actually set for the Americans and only needs to be considered if cruising in America not Europe.

Your agent said that? Americans get better and more service is that why the tips are set for Americans. Europeans get less service so they pay less tips? I actually think your agent was saying what he/she thought you wanted to hear......since NCL's website clearly states it's the same for EVERYONE.

Just saying.....

Harriet

We normally budget about £10 a day and usually don’t spend that.

$10.00 a day per person? Per couple? And for whom? $10.00 a day for your server who serves you breakfast, lunch, and dinner? $10.00 a day for your housekeeper who keeps your room clean and fresh, linens, bathroom, etc.

I'm saying $10.00 because I'm not sure what the exchange is.

Harriet

$10.00 a day per person? Per couple? And for whom? $10.00 a day for your server who serves you breakfast, lunch, and dinner? $10.00 a day for your housekeeper who keeps your room clean and fresh, linens, bathroom, etc.

I'm saying $10.00 because I'm not sure what the exchange is.

Harriet

10 pounds is about $15

I've said this many times, but for the sake of the OP, I want to say that I see the service charge and the consequential lack of necessity to tip individually to be a great convenience. I don't want to carry cash or worry about finding certain crew members on the last day. I want to enjoy my vacation. While I didn't know about "DSC" the first time I cruised, I certainly budgeted for tipping as I would with any vacation. It came as a relief to me that the process was simplified for me. Then, if I choose, I will tip over and above or, even more often, I will complete a STYLE card for an exceptional employee.

But I believe in seeing the positive in things - especially when related to travel. I was going to tip anyway, they made it easier - a POSITIVE. :) It is one of the MANY reasons I love to cruise. Life is pretty easy on a cruise ship. Unless, of course, you want to get hot and bothered about something - then, there is always that opportunity as well - usually created by another passenger, not the crew. :rolleyes:

I feel the same way! When I first started planning my first cruise in 2010, I was a little worried about the tipping process I had read about (the little envelopes). When I saw that NCL just charged $12 a day, I thought that was great - much easier process, and much easier to budget. That's just me - we do prepay it because it makes budgeting for the cruise easier, and we've never seen a need to remove any. We have tipped a little on top of that, too.

I will say while I'm fine with the $12/day service charge, I was not happy about the addition of the service charge to specialty dining. We did tip before, but I doubt we would now (tip over and above the service charge). Same with room service. Finally, I was ok with 15% for drinks, given that the bar staff does not participate in the service charge pool - we typically put a little extra on that, too. However, 18% to open a beer is a bit much, IMHO. Now that I'm thinking about it, the new and increased fees will likely save us money :rolleyes:

All is well though, our agent told us that we can adjust it as we need to. She said that amount is actually set for the Americans and only needs to be considered if cruising in America not Europe.

That is utter nonsense and your TA is being highly unprofessional trying to keep your business by any means possible. Your nationality has nothing to do with service rendered and the cost associated to it.

No, sorry, actually it does: Brits are often considered very cheap travellers because this kind of thinking.

I'm actually ashamed that somebody would use being European (or not being an American) as an excuse for that kind of behaviour.

When in Rome... (And in this case the ship is "Rome", the sea it sails on does not offer you any services - hence, ship's location is completely irrelevant in this matter.)

That is utter nonsense and your TA is being highly unprofessional trying to keep your business by any means possible. Your nationality has nothing to do with service rendered and the cost associated to it.

No, sorry, actually it does: Brits are often considered very cheap travellers because this kind of thinking.

I'm actually ashamed that somebody would use being European (or not being an American) as an excuse for that kind of behaviour.

When in Rome... (And in this case the ship is "Rome", the sea it sails on does not offer you any services - hence, ship's location is completely irrelevant in this matter.)

Brits aren't cheap- we just aren't used to the American tipping culture so may make 'mistakes' in not tipping or tipping too little. We don't have the mindset to 'include tips in our mental cost of the holiday' so its a little adjustment in thinking to understand the DSC.

SO- I'm very glad that there is a set service charge/tips per day. I can just pay it and not worry about who and when and how much I should tip. Makes it way easier and I know I'm not being 'cheap' or forgetting to tip every time I order a drink (would never do that in the UK!!)

Brits aren't cheap- we just aren't used to the American tipping culture so may make 'mistakes' in not tipping or tipping too little. We don't have the mindset to 'include tips in our mental cost of the holiday' so its a little adjustment in thinking to understand the DSC.

I was talking about the way of thinking by the poster and their TA and how it makes Brits look easily - and to be honest, that attitude (knowingly stiffing the crew) is not uncommon here on CC either.

Unfortunately the people that most often express that they do not want to pay service charges (like here, because they didn't do their research and because of that they would adjust the charges without any other reason) compared to those from the same country that are just fine with the charges, are from UK.

I'm definitely not saying that all Brits would be like that - there are also many active CC members from UK that prove otherwise. The cheap ones just are quite vocal and visible around here often using nonsense arguments like "we don't pay these kind of charges in UK pubs/hotels/etc so I refuse to pay them abroad too".

And to be honest, I think that using the "we don't have the right mindset for budgeting tipping" is a lame excuse - when one travels abroad, one should do their research and find out about the local customs, any decent travel guide book (and in this case, cruiseline brochure) includes those kind of tidbits so that one can prepare accordingly.

We don't usually tip here in Northern Europe either, but that doesn't prevent us from tipping where it is expected - even if I don't agree with the reasons, it is not the worker's fault that their system works like that, so stiffing the workers does not change that.

Edited by Demonyte

And to be honest, I think that using the "we don't have the right mindset for budgeting tipping" is a lame excuse - when one travels abroad, one should do their research and find out about the local customs, any decent travel guide book (and in this case, cruiseline brochure) includes those kind of tidbits so that one can prepare accordingly.

We don't usually tip here in Northern Europe either, but that doesn't prevent us from tipping where it is expected - even if I don't agree with the reasons, it is not the worker's fault that their system works like that, so stiffing the workers does not change that.

It's not a lame excuse- its a fact. When I see the price of something, be it a drink or a holiday, I don't automatically adjust that in my head to a higher amount with tips or service charges on top. Therefore it can be a little bit of 'sticker shock' when you realise how much on top of your cruise fare you are expected to pay in tips. Americans are more used to the expectation to tip generously and so probably take this into account when they price up a holiday.

Do I agree with the OP? No. I did my research and saw the service charge before I booked and intend on paying it. Do I sympathise with the OP? Yes, a little. Seems like their TA is telling them rubbish and hasn't fully informed them. So I can understand the sticker shock when finding out the extra they are expected to pay.

Calling Brits "cheap" is unfair in my book. Calling us "people who don't expect to pay more than the advertised price" is more accurate.

Everyone needs to do a bit of research when they travel. When I went to Europe, Italy, to be exact, I new that you don't tip at restaurants....they get paid a regular salary and that's that. I also knew that if I wanted to order bread....I would be charged for it. I never once thought, in America bread is included with dinner so I'm not going to pay for the bread, or since I don't have to pay for bread in America I'm going to lower the price I pay for the bread.

As was said before....When is Rome.....besides, part of a vacation is the 'experience' of where you're going.

Harriet

brits aren't cheap- we just aren't used to the american tipping culture so may make 'mistakes' in not tipping or tipping too little. We don't have the mindset to 'include tips in our mental cost of the holiday' so its a little adjustment in thinking to understand the dsc.

So- i'm very glad that there is a set service charge/tips per day. I can just pay it and not worry about who and when and how much i should tip. Makes it way easier and i know i'm not being 'cheap' or forgetting to tip every time i order a drink (would never do that in the uk!!)

facebook-like-icon.jpg.cdcaeaf3222b574e51e931cd92c006f4.jpg

From another Brit who isn't cheap and did her research!

Everyone needs to do a bit of research when they travel. When I went to Europe, Italy, to be exact, I new that you don't tip at restaurants....they get paid a regular salary and that's that. I also knew that if I wanted to order bread....I would be charged for it. I never once thought, in America bread is included with dinner so I'm not going to pay for the bread, or since I don't have to pay for bread in America I'm going to lower the price I pay for the bread.

As was said before....When is Rome.....besides, part of a vacation is the 'experience' of where you're going.

Harriet

Actually you do tip in restaurants in Europe- around 10% is the norm. (Unless its seeve youraelf style) Looks like you stiffed them! However, you arent really expected to tips in bars, taxis, hotel maids etc

Edited by SquishTheWhale

As soon as I posted this, I found that someone had just posted a similar question and the knives came out.

I am not trying to offend anyone. Yes, this has soured me on NCL before even setting foot on the ship and now I am going to be CERTAIN I get well more than $168 in service from the staff. Enough said.

However, due to the fact that $168 is far more than a reasonable tip for the services I will actually call upon (the cruise was not a free gift from NCL).... additional tipping is now out of the question.

Matter of principle to me. You don't put your hand out for tips before providing service and then make it uncomfortable for guests to ask for it to be removed. Tacky.

No one be mad at me, I am simply asking what seems like a sane question.

I don't share your concern for prepaying the service fees. I am aware that years ago, tips were collected via envelopes to several persons on board. I prefer the current method.

What I don't care for is charging the 18% service charge on the UBP that we were given on a promo. DW and I will never drink our way anywhere near to the value of the beverage package. I would prefer charging the service fee on what we actually order. Still, that is not a deal breaker.

Actually you do tip in restaurants in Europe- around 10% is the norm. (Unless its seeve youraelf style) Looks like you stiffed them! However, you arent really expected to tips in bars, taxis, hotel maids etc
In Italy, if servizio (service charge) is included, there is not need to tip, but if it isn't a 10% tip is appropriate.

I think the OP needs to fire the travel agent they have been using. This agent told them 2 untruths about cruising. First he/she said, it was all inclusive except for drinks and specialty dining (wait till they get onboard and find out other things are for a fee) and now that only the DSC is only for Americans.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It's not a lame excuse- its a fact. When I see the price of something, be it a drink or a holiday, I don't automatically adjust that in my head to a higher amount with tips or service charges on top. Therefore it can be a little bit of 'sticker shock' when you realise how much on top of your cruise fare you are expected to pay in tips. Americans are more used to...

Then we need to agree to disagree because I see that only as ignorance from not doing necessary research. There can be no sticker shock per definition as the costs are clearly listed but one chooses not to get the info, but to assume things based on their local customs instead.

And again, nationality has nothing to do with this - local customs are local customs and choosing not to adhere to them when travelling is ignorance in my book.

Also, claiming that tipping 10% in restaurants everywhere in Europe is expected is gross over-generalizing. For example in Nordic countries tipping is not expected as servers are paid decent salary (service is included in the prices) and possible tips are usually only left as a sign of exceptional service or experience.

Edited by Demonyte

I'll disagree with you - as I'm talking about Italy - don't know about all of Europe. My husband moved to America when he was 29. All his family; which consists of 10 brothers and sisters and their families still live in Northern Italy. his mother just passed away last year at the age of 101 and his father passed 20 years ago. We go to visit them almost every year. There is no tipping in restaurants.

As a matter of fact they love when tourists from America come over because they do tip.

Harriet

I don't share your concern for prepaying the service fees. I am aware that years ago, tips were collected via envelopes to several persons on board. I prefer the current method.

What I don't care for is charging the 18% service charge on the UBP that we were given on a promo. DW and I will never drink our way anywhere near to the value of the beverage package. I would prefer charging the service fee on what we actually order. Still, that is not a deal breaker.

The 18% you're paying works out to $9.72 a day. If you won't drink that much, you should have chosen a different amenity.

did I not read that you can ask to have the charge for gratuities removed from your shipboard account and pay in the traditional manner, cash per server? I believe that is what makes the gratuities "discretionary" thus satisfying all. I'll try to find the source.

did I not read that you can ask to have the charge for gratuities removed from your shipboard account and pay in the traditional manner, cash per server? I believe that is what makes the gratuities "discretionary" thus satisfying all. I'll try to find the source.

'discretionary' actually states on the NCL site that IF you have a problem you should contact Guest Services and IF they don't satisfy that problem THEN, at your discretion, you can adjust the charges. I'll be happy to post the link here if you wish.

How can you actually 'tip' each server cash. At breakfast, lunch, and dinner, in the MDR there is always more than one taking care of you. One takes your order for food and delivers it, one takes your drink order, another refills your water glass. You intend to tip all three of these people per meal? How about if you go to the Buffet? How are you going to tip these people? A tip for the person who clears your table and takes away your plates? A tip for each person who's standing and restocking each food area? Then of course, you'd have to tip your room steward cash also. Not to mention all the 'behind the scene' crew that wash your sheets and towels, clear the pool area tables, clean the hallways and the rest of the boat, etc. etc. etc. Just wondering....

Harriet

On my first cruise, we had the little envelopes to deliver to people. I was amazed at lunch and dinner the last day to realize that half of the dining room was empty. Hard to believe all of those absent ran around to find their waiter to make sure they got the tip. I just find the DSC to be a huge convenience, and actually probably spend less on it than I would if I were tipping each and every one.

The 18% you're paying works out to $9.72 a day. If you won't drink that much, you should have chosen a different amenity.

As I said, paying grats on the package cost was not a deal breaker. It was still the best choice, considering we don't want to eat every night in the specialty restaurants and the OBC offered.

However, paying those grats does reduce the value of the drinks package.

Frankly, I would prefer promos to go away and NCL just give me the best price.

Our Agency provided us with the information on the mandatory charges as required by UK law. We didn't actually read about the Service Charges until the cruise was purchased, but as it was explained to us, it is not a mandatory charge, so does not have to be disclosed with the fare. I agree it would have been nice if it was, but as someone else stated, there are other charges for additions that are not disclosed until aboard ship.

I assume when she stated the charges are set for the Americans, she meant that they probably make up the highest percentage of guest and it is customary for them to pay such high gratuity rates. Europeans normally adjust these to fit with their tipping custom. We pay our workers a proper wage and would not dream of paying such high of gratuities. I cannot understand how Americans pay their workers so little, then want to tip them so much to make up for it.

Somebody said when in Rome…. Well I purchased the cruise in the UK and the cruise itself is within Europe, I will do what is customary here not in America.

So does this mean when we Americans travel in Europe, we don't have to pay the service charges added to restaurants and hotels, because it would be for Europeans only? BTW, this is going to save me a whole lot of money on my next trip to Europe, thanks for letting us know how it really works.

Edited by NLH Arizona