Favorite ports

lstrong

We don't know anything about you, so can't recommend ports. Are you talking partial or full transit. Short full transit (10-14 days), or a long repo cruise (14-21 days).

Panama Canal cruises are all about the Canal. The various cruise lines will give you a good product and view of the Canal. So, unless you have a strong attachment to given cruise line, just about any will do.

Panama Canal cruises are all about the Canal. The various cruise lines will give you a good product and view of the Canal. So, unless you have a strong attachment to given cruise line, just about any will do.

Bruce, I agree it is all about the Canal . . . and of course Panama. Who would want to go to Italy and only see St Peters and the Coloseum? Or Paris and just see the Eiffel Tower? The Canal IS the iconic structure of Panama. It is about the Canal . . . so do your research, get Mc Cullough's book, and mine which is more oriented to cruising the Canal. But I strongly disagree with "just about any will do."

First, look at the itinerary. A good Canal itinerary allows you to experience the Canal but also to see some of Panama and experience the country. Some cruise lines are improving itineraries, but I'd suggest avoiding an itinerary that just transits the Canal without visiting Panama for a day. The good itineraries combine a day in Panama along with a day transiting the Canal.

The cruise lines who take the most people through the Canal yearly are, in order of passengers, Princess, Celebrity, Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Then look at what resources and information the ship provides on board to prepare you and inform you about what you have paid all this money to experience. I recently did a top cruise line through the Canal . . . and I did five lectures about Panama and the Canal before we even got there. The lectures were packed! Not all cruise lines GET that a Panama Canal cruise is about the Canal: that's why people book. Secondly, I'd look at the commentary provided while you are in the Canal. A lot of times cruise lines plug "a representative of the Panama Canal" . . . well, it's not a "representative" just someone local hired through the PR office of the Canal to talk. Some are great, some are good, others are OK, and a few are lousy which is why I have chapters in my book for both directions giving the commentary I give when I am on the bridge in the Canal.

For most folks a Canal Cruise is a trip of a lifetime. Take your time. Do your homework. Carefully pick the itinerary and the cruise line. Read up on the history of Panama and the Canal. Get up early . . . and enjoy!

Regards, Richard

Thanks to both of you. I agree the canal is the reason for the cruise - just wondered if there were any "don't miss" type of ports of call. Some cruises stop at Costa Rica, some at Aruba, etc. I gather that Panama would be a recommended one.

Richard - I did enjoy the enrichment speaker on my HAL Hawaii cruise a few years ago. So much history and local color. What a fun job for you. Thanks for your insights!

Istrong, Some of it depends on where you've already been . . . Puerto Limon, Costa Rica is on most of the 10-day trips roundtrip from Ft Lauderdale. Fun, if you take a shore excursion and actually see some of Costa Rica. Puerto Limon itself is a "Lemon" of a port if you stay in town. If you can work in Cartagena, Columbia wonderful. Great old city! Of the ABC Islands I much prefer Curacao to Aruba: Aruba is pretty touristy. If you are going through the Canal I'd try for an entire day in Panama City, a stop in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, again, same story as Puerto Limon - you need to get away from the port and into Costa Rica. The old historic town of Antigua in Guatemala is fantastic. Right now there is too much violence in Mexico for me to be interested in stopping anywhere in Mexico. Cabo, IMHO, is just a big tourist town with nothing really interesting for cruise passengers. I fondly remember Cabo when it was a lazy, laid back, little fishing village. Regards, Richard

Istrong, Some of it depends on where you've already been . . . Puerto Limon, Costa Rica is on most of the 10-day trips roundtrip from Ft Lauderdale. Fun, if you take a shore excursion and actually see some of Costa Rica. Puerto Limon itself is a "Lemon" of a port if you stay in town. If you can work in Cartagena, Columbia wonderful. Great old city! Of the ABC Islands I much prefer Curacao to Aruba: Aruba is pretty touristy. If you are going through the Canal I'd try for an entire day in Panama City, a stop in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, again, same story as Puerto Limon - you need to get away from the port and into Costa Rica. The old historic town of Antigua in Guatemala is fantastic. Right now there is too much violence in Mexico for me to be interested in stopping anywhere in Mexico. Cabo, IMHO, is just a big tourist town with nothing really interesting for cruise passengers. I fondly remember Cabo when it was a lazy, laid back, little fishing village. Regards, Richard

A great big thank you Richard. Now I know what itineraries to focus on. Mexico doesn't bother me at all - living in San Diego I vacation there a lot. Totally agree about Cabo though

If you can work in Cartagena, Columbia wonderful. Great old city!

From what I can gather, Cartagena is the can't-miss city along the coast of the old "Spanish Main". :)

Of the ABC Islands I much prefer Curacao to Aruba: Aruba is pretty touristy.

I used to work for a Dutch company, so combining Panama, Cartagena, and the ABC Islands (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao, the old "Netherlands Antilles") is the perfect itinerary for me. :D

Istrong, it really depends on your interests though. There's lots of history and scenery in the southern Caribbean to choose from!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived