Thank you to all of the Celebrity Captains, Officers and Crew

cherylroslyn

The more information that comes out about this Costa Concordia Captain, the more I am thankful for the amazing Captain's, Officers, and Crew we are priviledged to have sailing the Celebrity fleet.

When I think of the Captains I have met on Celebrity and the things I have learned on bridge tours one thing stands out and that is the emphasis on safety and security.

I have seen the Captains out and about but I have never ever seen them out drinking the way this Captain, according to eyewitness reports, was.

I remember specifically when I was on the Summit in May we asked the Captain about drinking and he said he waits until he is home in Greece to have his fun.............

Buzzing the shore, drinking in the bar with passengers, demanding the ship's chef coninue making dessert for his female companion after the impact, failing to instruct the crew to begin the "abandon ship", and then bolting well before everyone was accounted for even after being ordered back to the ship by coast guard officials........ what a disgusting display of arrogance.

Now there are more report of finding dead passengers waiting at their muster stations with life vests on........:mad:

I don't want to say the word "never".....

But in my experience with Celebrity Captains it would be a cold day in Hell before any of them that I have met would engage in such behavior.........

So thank you Celebrity Captains, Officers and crew.......it is because of you that I am not terrified to board a cruise ship after watching this harrowing ordeal unfold in the media and seeing videos of panicked passengers and crew scrambling for their lives.........

Thank you for continuing to keep us safe!!!!!!!

I could not agree more.

In conversation with a Captain aboard the Mercury (Nikkos Frantzis, now on another ship), I happened to ask if he was going to have any time in the next port. He was quick to explain that there would be a boat drill for the crew, and they were going to lower several lifeboats to the water. His attitude toward this was certainly not that it was some mandatory drudgery. Instead he was clearly looking forward to it, and the challenge he was going to present the crew. They clearly knew a drill was scheduled, but the specific scenario he was going to present was up to him.

His enthusiasm was clearly toward presenting a demanding and realistic exercise, not figuring out how to get ashore and into a coffee shop as quickly as possible after an emergency.

As the news comes out from Italy, I am more and more shocked. I remain absolutely convinced that a Celebrity crew would never respond in this way.

Harris

Denver, CO

Everything the OP stated is definitely worth repeating. Kudos to Celebrity and its staff for being so professional and caring. Everyone that we have ever met on the ships has put the safety of the passengers first. We thank you for everything you do for us!

I might be naive, but I have to agree with the OP. All of the ships' officers that I have ever met on Celebrity have impressed me with their professionalism.

The captain of the Concordia will have a lot to answer for. To see a transcript of the Captain's conversation with the Coast Guard:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/17/transcript-coast-guard-angrily-orders-captain-to-return-to-costa-concordia/

Everything the OP stated is definitely worth repeating. Kudos to Celebrity and its staff for being so professional and caring. Everyone that we have ever met on the ships has put the safety of the passengers first. We thank you for everything you do for us!

I'm a new cruiser with Celebrity but have a tremendous amount of confidence in what I have seen and heard with the crew, officers and a short conversation with the Captain. I agree with this OP's opening remarks. Have 5 more cruises booked and looking forward to every one of them. I feel very safe on board.

I watched some of the drill in port one day as it took place directly under my balcony. Both crew and officers took it very seriously and seemed to know exactly what they were doing. I heard no complaints, no laughter or joking until the drill was over. I was impressed!!

Archived