houston hotel recommendations near Hobby

melika091900

can anyone recommend a hotel near Hobby?

we are only staying 1 night after the cruise.

we wont have a rental car, so I would love to be near resturants, or things, something to do for the day

any suggestions?

thank you in advance

There are not many places you would want to frequent in the Hobby Airport area. Hobby was the first airport in Houston and the area is very old and a high crime area. You might want to stay closer to the Clear Lake/Friendswood/Webster area and stay there. Much more to do and safer as well. I'm sure there are many hotels in that area that offer shuttle service to Hobby.

I agree that the area is a bit dicey. That said, we were delayed by fog on Sun and had to spend the night. We stayed at the Hampton Inn across the street from the runway (Holiday Inn Express is across the street; Parking Spot just down the block, too). Obviously there's noise when the planes land, but they stopped at a reasonable hour and started at 6am. Nothing too obnoxious.

There are multiple authentic Mexican food restaurants around that area (as well as some adult places, but we wanted a BWW so we could watch the football game. The taxi took us the 9 miles to a mall area that had multiple chain restaurants (I saw a Pei Wei across the street and an Applebees (?). About $18 each way.

Transfer to the airport at 6:15am was smooth. Hotel shuttle was ready for us as we finished a quick breakfast. Took maybe 5 minutes to get there and then 10 to walk to escalators up to check in (Hobby is under construction so all transports drop off underneath). Security line wasn't busy so we were sitting at the gate by 6:45.

I agree that the area is a bit dicey. That said, we were delayed by fog on Sun and had to spend the night. We stayed at the Hampton Inn across the street from the runway (Holiday Inn Express is across the street; Parking Spot just down the block, too). Obviously there's noise when the planes land, but they stopped at a reasonable hour and started at 6am. Nothing too obnoxious.

There are multiple authentic Mexican food restaurants around that area (as well as some adult places, but we wanted a BWW so we could watch the football game. The taxi took us the 9 miles to a mall area that had multiple chain restaurants (I saw a Pei Wei across the street and an Applebees (?). About $18 each way.

Transfer to the airport at 6:15am was smooth. Hotel shuttle was ready for us as we finished a quick breakfast. Took maybe 5 minutes to get there and then 10 to walk to escalators up to check in (Hobby is under construction so all transports drop off underneath). Security line wasn't busy so we were sitting at the gate by 6:45.

They must have taken you to Baybrook Mall in Friendswood. You certainly don't want to go to Almeda Mall (if it's even still open!).

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like everybody asks about Hobby. (I've rarely found the orange and blue planes to be that much cheaper myself. But I'm a Continental and American guy personally, but to each his own i guess). Anyway, as others have said, more tactfully then me, Hobby and the area around it are S-holes. Depending on what time your flight out is, I would consider renting a car and maybe a hotel (as CGBCruiser said) in the Clear lake/Webster area. You might even pay a little less and get a little better place as you are not paying airport premium prices. Other than that, you are prob stuck with taxis as you don't want to be walking in that area.

Seems like everybody asks about Hobby. (I've rarely found the orange and blue planes to be that much cheaper myself. But I'm a Continental and American guy personally, but to each his own i guess). Anyway, as others have said, more tactfully then me, Hobby and the area around it are S-holes. Depending on what time your flight out is, I would consider renting a car and maybe a hotel (as CGBCruiser said) in the Clear lake/Webster area. You might even pay a little less and get a little better place as you are not paying airport premium prices. Other than that, you are prob stuck with taxis as you don't want to be walking in that area.

You're very right! Absolutely NO walking around Hobby area!!! Just a note...I used to fly Continental ALL the time, but their fares have been consistently higher in the past year or so PLUS $50 baggage fee round trip AND the schedules I need to go to Florida (DD lives there!) are awful too. Even without that fee, they've been higher. That said, parking at Hobby has turned into a nightmare! :eek:

• 1 month later...

So my family and I are flying into Hobby on a Saturday, staying overnight at the Four Point Sheraton at Hobby, and have arranged transfers to the port Sunday morning. After reading the previous posts, I am now second guessing the area's accommodations. The reviews on TripAdvisor for Four Points were favorable. However, I am expecting that we will want venture out for dinner... Or maybe not?

Should I change my accommodations?

Thanks!

So my family and I are flying into Hobby on a Saturday, staying overnight at the Four Point Sheraton at Hobby, and have arranged transfers to the port Sunday morning. After reading the previous posts, I am now second guessing the area's accommodations. The reviews on TripAdvisor for Four Points were favorable. However, I am expecting that we will want venture out for dinner... Or maybe not?

Should I change my accommodations?

Thanks!

My husband and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn @ Hobby for a retreat with no problems. The accommodations were great. All of our meals for the weekend were at the hotel. The people at the hotel should be able to give you some guidance as to where you should/should not go! You can always just order a pizza and have it delivered to the hotel! You will be fine!

Archived