Is this business as usual for NCL???????

believer33323

WE JUST GOT SCREWED. This was the first time I was going o NCL. It may be the last. We booked along with 4 other couples along with a National group booking set for the October 28th Jewel leaving out of Miami. Many other couples from around the country have also been booking through a group program. We now find out of the blue that we ALL were bumped from the ship because they decided to Charter the ship out to a Blake Shelton and a KISS cruise.

So all of us were basically dumped off the ship. Forget those that may have already booked flights.

WE JUST GOT SCREWED. This was the first time I was going o NCL. It may be the last. We booked along with 4 other couples along with a National group booking set for the October 28th Jewel leaving out of Miami. Many other couples from around the country have also been booking through a group program. We now find out of the blue that we ALL were bumped from the ship because they decided to Charter the ship out to a Blake Shelton and a KISS cruise.

So all of us were basically dumped off the ship. Forget those that may have already booked flights.

From what I read here on Cruise Critics earlier today, they're putting you on the Pearl instead of the Jewel? Did I get that right or am I confusing another topic?

If so, the Pearl is a sister ship to the Jewel and if this is your first NCL cruise you won't know the difference. If it's your 10th NCL cruise, you probably still won't notice the difference.

If your flight was on a 767 jetliner and they decided to put you onto a 757 instead, I don't think you'd be too upset. Pearl to Jewel is pretty much the same thing, except for the color of the carpet. You'll still have a fantastic cruise, plus you know you won't have to listen to BS or Kiss :)

From what I read here on Cruise Critics earlier today, they're putting you on the Pearl instead of the Jewel? Did I get that right or am I confusing another topic?

If so, the Pearl is a sister ship to the Jewel and if this is your first NCL cruise you won't know the difference. If it's your 10th NCL cruise, you probably still won't notice the difference.

If your flight was on a 767 jetliner and they decided to put you onto a 757 instead, I don't think you'd be too upset. Pearl to Jewel is pretty much the same thing, except for the color of the carpet. You'll still have a fantastic cruise, plus you know you won't have to listen to BS or Kiss :)

The Pearl will be used for the charters...the Jewel will cruise from NY instead, so they will not have either ship to cruise on from Miami during the charter weeks.

To the OP: I fully understand why you're unhappy, and I know it's of no consolation to you, but this situation is by no means unique to NCL. Other cruise lines charter their ships too, resulting in displaced passengers and disrupted vacation plans.

The Pearl will be used for the charters...the Jewel will cruise from NY instead, so they will not have either ship to cruise on from Miami during the charter weeks.

I'd be PO'd too. Will NCL help their bumped guests recover losses from unrefundable airfares? I guess that cancellability clause is in the fine print that we never read? What a crappy business model.

beleiver33323 - If you've got non-refundable air fares, I'd look into what the other cruise lines have going that week from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. There's a lot of boats down there. And I'd feel the same way as you and probably would bring my business elsewhere (although from what I'm reading here, that's no guarantee some other "celebrity" won't do a special trip).

Probably should be your last on any cruise, if thats the case, since this could happen on any line unfortunately.

I can't say I've read it on CC often but I have read it enough times to know it does happen and it is very disappointing for sure. For those that booked through NCL, it has appeared in the past they try to give you a couple of other options but whether those options are workable or acceptable is a personal choice.

It's too bad you had not been popping into CC before now, then at least it wouldn't have been out of the blue and you would have had a little heads up that this was a possibility. This change has been talked about quite regularly over the last couple of weeks.

Sorry this has happened to you, hope you can find something that will be equally exciting for your vacation.

Happened to us as well on a CCL cruise. We could pay more to stay or not. (I believe live nation was the charter) Get some good travel insurance (plenty of time out) and claim. Travelex was who we used at the time. We were able to claim under trip-interuption. A change of ship WAS our interuption. Yea it sucks. But do you homework....and cruise.;) Good luck.

You are Partially correct. If you have previously booked a cruise on the jewel you will now be on the pearl. EXCEPT for these 2 dates. If you want these rooms they start around $1,000.00 PP each. Blake Shelton and a KISS "Chartered" out the ENTIRE ship (Pearl out of Miami) and the rooms start out out at around $1,000.00 pp

I would be unhappy, too. NCL does charters; so do other lines. Be as ticked at NCL as you wish, but realize it is a business decision other lines would make as well. fortunately, you have nine months. There are other cruises leaving South Florida. I hope one works for you.

I would be unhappy, too. NCL does charters; so do other lines. Be as ticked at NCL as you wish, but realize it is a business decision other lines would make as well. fortunately, you have nine months. There are other cruises leaving South Florida. I hope one works for you.

Yes when the Star was chartered it was only 6 months out.

Did you purchase cruise insurance? If so, you will get some help there. Also, you mentioned this was a group tour arranged by a TA? If so, they should be handling this for you, they can and should make it as transparent as possible.

It can be an issue with all cruise lines, so, if this is a "show stopper" for you, maybe cruising is not for you?

I did not need trip insurance since I am still the window of being fully refundable. I am planning on calling NCL this morning to see about some sort of compensation besides just holding the same price I originally paid. Hey it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever consider filing suit? Not just against the line but against the travel agent as well?

A careful review of your state's consumer protection statutes might surprise you with all the "prohibited practices" violations definitions available. The cruise line could try copping out with their weasel language or lack or jurisdiction or venue BUT if the travel agent is local you have a better chance of collecting against them.

Demand a jury trial (make the other side sweat) and make sure your contract with your attorney provides that you have final control over any adjournments, waivers or stipulations by the other side. Don't give an inch, they didn't do you any favors.

Do cruise lines engage in predatory practices? Can mac and cheese be found at the buffet? Look, breaching their contract after you paid for the goods and services just so they can sell to someone else is predatory: Let them explain why it isn't to a jury.

Your rights as a consumer are only as good as you are willing to make them good. The sheep cower and the wolves dine.

Really lousy indeed.

All cruise lines handle charters in a way very unfair and even unethical to guests who book in advance. NCL is certainly no better. They of course have their interest covered by contracts. Average guests can only hope it does not happen to them.

Ever consider filing suit? Not just against the line but against the travel agent as well?

<snip>

Your rights as a consumer are only as good as you are willing to make them good. The sheep cower and the wolves dine.

This is a false hope. The deposit made was not full payment. The contract you made with NCL only requires them to return your deposit.

If I understand the OP's posts, this is the offer NCL made for bumping them:

1) Honored current booked price on a range of 5 other sailings (including a Thanksgiving cruise -> $$$$)

2) NCL will try to keep the currently booked cabin if another cruise is chosen from the range.

3) NCL would, presumably, honor the timeframe the deposit was given at, which would mean increased points in their Latitudes program

4) If the currently booked cabin is not available, OP will be moved to a higher cabin grade without charge

OP, is that correct?

If that summation is correct, I would see if any of the offered cruises fit your schedule. If change fees for any booked airfare are needed, consult NCL to see if they would reimburse you. If you still are disgruntled, request an OBC for your trouble.

Decide what it is you want to be made whole that is within reason, but don't go overboard with your anger and frustration. If you go in too hot, NCL will recognize maybe they DON'T want you on their ship after all! Someone was going to be upset with this situation, and it might just be the person who is yelling at them.

A careful review of your state's consumer protection statutes might surprise you with all the "prohibited practices" violations definitions available. The cruise line could try copping out with their weasel language or lack or jurisdiction or venue BUT if the travel agent is local you have a better chance of collecting against them.

Demand a jury trial (make the other side sweat) and make sure your contract with your attorney provides that you have final control over any adjournments, waivers or stipulations by the other side. Don't give an inch, they didn't do you any favors.

Do cruise lines engage in predatory practices? Can mac and cheese be found at the buffet? Look, breaching their contract after you paid for the goods and services just so they can sell to someone else is predatory: Let them explain why it isn't to a jury.

I'm no lawyer but I take this chance when I accept the contract that states NCL is not be liable for any loss to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement or substitution. Reservations are subject to change or cancellation in the event of a full-ship charter, and in such event, NCL shall refund all passage moneys paid by the passenger.

This must be happening more than I'd ever imagine. Just yesterday I was reading a long thread about someone just finding out that the ship they planned on going on was chartered by a gay men's organization. Can't remember if that was also on the NCL boards or another line. The thread was odd because that person confirmed with the line that it was indeed chartered but didn't ask how the matter was going to be handled pertaining to his and his girlfriend's booking.

At any rate, OP I don't blame you for feeling angry. I know, I know...contracts allow it, cruiselines are in business to make money, and so on...but all that doesn't make you feel any better when your plans go up in smoke.

If they can't get you on a ship that falls in line with the airline tickets you have, take a shot at calling the airlines & see if they'd credit your airfare towards a ticket for another date or destination with maybe a low penalty. Good luck however it works out for you.

This must be happening more than I'd ever imagine. Just yesterday I was reading a long thread about someone just finding out that the ship they planned on going on was chartered by a gay men's organization. Can't remember if that was also on the NCL boards or another line....

At any rate, OP I don't blame you for feeling angry. I know, I know...contracts allow it, cruiselines are in business to make money, and so on...but all that doesn't make you feel any better when your plans go up in smoke.

If they can't get you on a ship that falls in line with the airline tickets you have, take a shot at calling the airlines & see if they'd credit your airfare towards a ticket for another date or destination with maybe a low penalty. Good luck however it works out for you.

I did not see the thread about the gay charter. maybe that was a different cruise line.

I do not blame the Op for being angry, but the OP probably needs to hear the cruiseline's offer before deciding if they are being treated fairly. I hope their group is well treated. Sadly, it is not just cruiselines. I have had had airlines change or cancel flights after I booked. hotels have been sold. I was not pleased to say the least, but such disappointments are part of travel. fortunately the OP has time to make other arrangements.

the OP did not say they have nonrefundable airline tickets. I think the first post says "forget those people who MAY have already booked flights". Along with the later post saying they did not have travel insurance because they were in the fully refundable phase, it implies that, wisely, no airline ticket had been purchased. I hope it all works out...

This is a false hope. The deposit made was not full payment. The contract you made with NCL only requires them to return your deposit.

If I understand the OP's posts, this is the offer NCL made for bumping them:

1) Honored current booked price on a range of 5 other sailings (including a Thanksgiving cruise -> $$$$)

2) NCL will try to keep the currently booked cabin if another cruise is chosen from the range.

3) NCL would, presumably, honor the timeframe the deposit was given at, which would mean increased points in their Latitudes program

4) If the currently booked cabin is not available, OP will be moved to a higher cabin grade without charge

OP, is that correct?

If that summation is correct, I would see if any of the offered cruises fit your schedule. If change fees for any booked airfare are needed, consult NCL to see if they would reimburse you. If you still are disgruntled, request an OBC for your trouble.

Decide what it is you want to be made whole that is within reason, but don't go overboard with your anger and frustration. If you go in too hot, NCL will recognize maybe they DON'T want you on their ship after all! Someone was going to be upset with this situation, and it might just be the person who is yelling at them.

Excellent advice and reasoning.

This must be happening more than I'd ever imagine. Just yesterday I was reading a long thread about someone just finding out that the ship they planned on going on was chartered by a gay men's organization. Can't remember if that was also on the NCL boards or another line. The thread was odd because that person confirmed with the line that it was indeed chartered but didn't ask how the matter was going to be handled pertaining to his and his girlfriend's booking.

Yes, that gay charter was on a Carnival ship and the OP of that thread was upset because no one had actually contacted them to tell them about it, they discovered it online. I haven't followed up with that thread to see if he had any success contacting Carnival directly.

There's also a similar situation being discussed on the HAL forums currently so this is definitely not unique to NCL. It's "business as usual" for all of the mass-market cruise lines.

That said, I'd absolutely be frustrated and upset as well to have all of my travel plans disrupted and at the possibility of losing the money I've put into my trip. I hope they're able to work something out for you, OP.

Archived