Can I take food off the ship?

tbiesinger

We are taking our first cruise on the Splendor on 2/12/12 and I am wondering if we are allowed to take any food off the ship when we get off for excursions.

If so, is there something on the ship we can pack and take with us?

Thanks.

Most ports do not allow fresh food to be taken off, especially fruits and meats, even tho some people brag that they do it against regulations. You can take any prepackaged items off tho such as boxes of cereal, snack bars, packaged candy, etc...

Many will tell you it is not allowed because of the danger of releasing some sort of toxic parasite to the "fragile" eco-systems that you will be visiting. In actuality, it is so you will spend your money on the island.

Whatever the reason, you are breaking that country's/island's laws/regulations.

I hadn't thought of this question, its an important one for us.

My husband always has lifesavers wint-o-green mints with him. I wonder if he will have any issues getting on and off our ship with them? I'm pretty sure he thinks he will die with out them.

My husband always has lifesavers wint-o-green mints with him. I wonder if he will have any issues getting on and off our ship with them? I'm pretty sure he thinks he will die with out them.

I don't think you'll have a problem with mints. Take an unopened pack off the ship with you.

No. No one cares. He could have his pockets filled with steak and no one would care.

I have had my bags searched getting off the ship in Cozumel and Bermuda.

In Mexico it's regulated by:National Health Services of Mexico (SENASICA) has guidelines on what is allowed, regulated and prohibited to bring across the border.

Bermuda:Importations of fresh fruits and vegetables must be supported by a valid Release Form issued by the Department of Environmental Protection. Importers may contact the Department of Environmental Protection regarding exceptions to this requirement

In my understanding, the worst that happens is a fine

I acknowledge and follow guidelines/laws/rules/regulations in foreign countries, but our first stop (in two weeks!) is Florida. We plan to spend the day at the beach. Can we take food (sandwich and fruit) off into a US port when we're sailing FROM a US port?

You will need to travel nearly 500 feet of barren, unoccupied, no-man’s land before you reach the end of the pier and are once again surrounded by opportunities to purchase food, drink and tourist stuff. You will most certainly want to pack a lunch.

Many will tell you it is not allowed because of the danger of releasing some sort of toxic parasite to the "fragile" eco-systems that you will be visiting. In actuality, it is so you will spend your money on the island.

Spoken like someone who has no clue how food is grown.

A list of all imported pests--

http://pest.ceris.purdue.edu/pests.php

The Mediterrean Fruit Fly infestation in the late 80's early 90's in Southern California was fun.:rolleyes: We were aerial sprayed by Malathion at least 4 times. EVERYTHING outside had to be brought inside or covered. I became an expert in wrapping a swingset. The next day everything was sticky. Had to scrub the swingset after each spray, didn't want the kids to play on Malathion that was brushed on by the tarps coming off.

We lost our citrus those years.

Now we have an Asian Psylliad. I have seen cube traps and yellow traps from Vector Control hanging on utility lines and in citrus trees.

San Diego has a Agriculture Dog that has an excellant nose. I have seen many people being stopped and going thru their luggage on the asphalt. The dog even alerted on my Lemonheads once.

Traveling into California you might get stopped at the Agriculture Border booths.

That is simply not true. Most countries, whether you arrive my sea or air or on foot, do not allow you to bring in fruit, vegetables, seeds, meat etc.

Processed and packaged items are okay. Candy, mints, chips, cookies, are all okay. To my understanding, a ham sandwich would not be okay.

Not sure if it is a law or regulation, but simply a policy.

It is the law in most countries. In this case, the worst that would happen would be confiscation and disposal. I doubt you would get a fine, unless you were smugglin "seeds and other plant matter" of some sort. ;)

I wouldn't take much, but I have a beach bag, and sometimes I put cookies, or something like that in it. I always take zip-lock bags, so this way I can put them in there, and they will stay fresh. I wouldn't take any fruit, unless you are going to eat it within the hour, especially if it is hot, as it would spoil easy.

I acknowledge and follow guidelines/laws/rules/regulations in foreign countries, but our first stop (in two weeks!) is Florida. We plan to spend the day at the beach. Can we take food (sandwich and fruit) off into a US port when we're sailing FROM a US port?

Nope. And the folks at Port Canaveral were very serious about it. More so than any foreign country I've been to.

I have had my bags searched getting off the ship in Cozumel and Bermuda.

In Mexico it's regulated by:National Health Services of Mexico (SENASICA) has guidelines on what is allowed, regulated and prohibited to bring across the border.

Bermuda:Importations of fresh fruits and vegetables must be supported by a valid Release Form issued by the Department of Environmental Protection. Importers may contact the Department of Environmental Protection regarding exceptions to this requirement

In my understanding, the worst that happens is a fine

Did they happen to make you turn out your pockets to look for Lifesavers?

I've been known to take a bagel from the buffet to have in case DD gets hungry. Bagels tend to be more "sturdy" and hold up better in my bag than, say, a muffin. I wouldn't take fruit off the ship, mostly because after years of travel to and from Hawaii, I've become sensitized to the issue of taking produce in and out of places. I nearly always have granola bars with me as well (that I purchased before boarding), and I've never had a problem with either of those, even in cases when my bag was searched.

This didn't happen on a cruise ship stop, but at an airport, but a friend was recently stopped at an airport in Ukraine on her way back to the US when the customs dogs smelled the ham sandwich in her bag :) She hadn't really thought anything of taking it out of the country with her, as a ham sandwich seemed innocuous, but they confiscated it.

Archived