Royal caribbean versus carnival - 4 night cruise

glass-dolphin

Hi,

I and hubby have cruised about 5-6 times on RCCL before, recently with our kids. We are looking for a 4-5 night cruise in April and royal doesnt have much choice. Also, its much more expensive. Any opinion on how carnival is when compared to RCCL? We liked the features on the Mariner and Adventure of the seas, but were disappointed with Liberty of the seas.

Now we are considering the Carnival Destiny. I know its an older ship, but in general, how is it when compared to RCCL? Why is it so much cheaper? I am not complaining, just want to know :))

Also, I heard about the weird layout of the Destiny. Is it really weird and does it get bothersome? What exactly is it?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

Destiny does not have a "wierd" layout. All Carnival ships you cannot walk thru the kitchen which is located between the two dining rooms. If you eat in the aft dining room, simply put it in your head to go up a deck or down a deck and go forward. Surely this is not so hard for the average person to remember, or so I think. But Im pretty smart, I admit it.

Destiny is the only ship in Destiny class. Its a forerunner of Conquest class. No pay restaurants, and half the buffet space, with more people to eat in one buffet. Other than that, its probably a decent choice.

I too liked Voyager better than Liberty, though I cannot put my finger on why I was a little let down. I am not so hot on RCL's older ships to be honest, so Destiny would be as good as those if its cheaper.

RCI Jewel of the Seas is a great ship that does 4 and 5 days out of Tampa-you can book her in early April-although she does reposition in late April.

The only way I will go back on Carnival is if they offer a Bermuda cruise from Charleston, SC or Jacksonville, FL; or possibly (but not probably) for the 8 day southern Carribean cruises they offer-never again for a 5 day or less for sure.

Older ships are used for the short cruises and Carnival's ships age really fast. The Jewel of the Seas was still in great shape last month-although she was built in 2002. The Jewel is radiance class which is very different from the freedom class or voyager class, she holds less than 2500 PAX.

Destiny does not have a "wierd" layout. All Carnival ships you cannot walk thru the kitchen which is located between the two dining rooms. If you eat in the aft dining room, simply put it in your head to go up a deck or down a deck and go forward. Surely this is not so hard for the average person to remember, or so I think. But Im pretty smart, I admit it.

Destiny is the only ship in Destiny class. Its a forerunner of Conquest class. No pay restaurants, and half the buffet space, with more people to eat in one buffet. Other than that, its probably a decent choice.

I too liked Voyager better than Liberty, though I cannot put my finger on why I was a little let down. I am not so hot on RCL's older ships to be honest, so Destiny would be as good as those if its cheaper.

Princess ships you have to do that too. We actually liked that-because we could be seated imediently on our own time dining-even at 7 pm-in the one diningroom away from the centrum/atruim-where you had to go up-across and then back down. Many compalin on CC it is too much walking-but I preferred that to the crowded RP/ atruim area on Mariner of the Seas. I guess with big ships you have one or the other-a lot of walking to get around or congested areas. No perfect solution.

Hi, Would you compare Destiny to Jewel/Serenade of the Seas in terms of activities and stuff to do on the ship? Would that be a fair comparison? Sorry for asking so many questions, just trying to get an idea what Carnival is like. Also, how bad does the crowd get in the buffet?

Hi, Would you compare Destiny to Jewel/Serenade of the Seas in terms of activities and stuff to do on the ship? Would that be a fair comparison? Sorry for asking so many questions, just trying to get an idea what Carnival is like. Also, how bad does the crowd get in the buffet?

I haven't been on Destiny and I have no small children or even teens, just one adult daughter-no grands. However dinnermates and lunchmates we had, who were both diamond plus, liked that Jewel of the Seas had plenty of activities. The lunchmates did not care for voyager and freedom class ships, but they will take their preteen children on them occasionially, but prefer the Jewel of the Seas. (or Celebrity when just the 2 of them) They said the Jewel had enough activites for their children and a great kid's club.

Our dinnermate had two teen boys-and they (the boys) also prefer the freedom class like the lunchmate's children, but the mom also prefers radiance class.

JOS had a rock climbing wall, minature golf, family pool (only families with children under 18 allowed in area) basket ball court etc. We were on JOS the week before Christmas and I can tell you plenty of kids were using these areas.

I especially liked the adult's only solaruim. It is a nice pool area and also lounge with no kids! Not that the families minded with their very own family pool area. Some parents also enjoyed this while their kids were in the klid's club.

There was no Johnny Rockets but there was a restaurant area (Seaview Cafe) on deck 12 where you could order burgers, fries, comfort food like spinach dip and onion rings etc. No extra cost for food-only colas cost extra.

I can also say the Windjammer had GREAT pizza. I always said in the past that Carnival had the best pizza in lido restaurants-not true anymore! The JOS pizza beat any Carnival pizza I have ever had.

I would say Jewel wins, since many say she is the most beautiful ship they have been on. Jewel is Radiance class and special to many

If you are talking monarch or majesty, I would warn you that the cabins are little tiny.

I would try to eat early like 11 am instead of right at noon .. on any ship. I try and avoid the crowds myself. I dont do the drawings where the crowds are eagerly hoping to get something free either.

Activities will be pretty similar. I do lean toward RCL in general and pay more for RCL and would not fly for a Carnival cruise, but if its right out of a port I can drive on and its cheap enough, Ill do Carnival too. In fact I booked Triumph for 1/30/12 yesterday for a really good price. Its the next ship after Destiny and very similar.

Another thing to consider, Miami is farther south than Tampa if you are considering Jewel. You have a better chance of getting warm weather on embarkation day in Miami depending on when you are sailing.

Having said that, the Jewel almost always gets rave reviews (lots of loyal followers), Destiny's are often so-so, and Jewel is a much newer ship.

We picked Jewel over Destiny and Majesty for a quick 4 cruise in December.

Another thing to consider, Miami is farther south than Tampa if you are considering Jewel. You have a better chance of getting warm weather on embarkation day in Miami depending on when you are sailing.

Having said that, the Jewel almost always gets rave reviews (lots of loyal followers), Destiny's are often so-so, and Jewel is a much newer ship.

We picked Jewel over Destiny and Majesty for a quick 4 cruise in December.

True, but the chance is only slight.

On Dec.19 last month Tampa had a high of 75-I embarked in capris. It was warm on Orlando on Dec. 18th also. I did wear a light jacket first thing in the morning-but by 10 am-I was in shirt sleeves.

Back in Feb. 2006 we embarked from Miami and it was freezing-it was even freezing in Grand Cayman. I only used the hot tub once that cruise-did nto swim at all. In Dec. 2003 we embarked from Tampa-a little cool in the low 60's-but had 96 degree weather in Grand Cayman the first port-however that night a cold front came through and it was too cool to swim-even Cozumel was only like a high of 65.

In Nov. 2008 we embarked form Maimi during another cold spell-maybe high 50's and it was still cool in Cozumel-not warm enough to swim-once again I only used the hot tubs. BTW I am post menapausal for over 10 years and so I am hot natured, as a rule.

The monarch of the seas out of port canavrill was great for us. Good food , crew and lots of fun

We loved the Sovereign the Monarch's sister- however-dinky rooms as said-so the second time we cruised her we booked too rooms and invited my sister to share our daughter's room. Even the first time we had fun-dinky room or not!

Archived