Carnival Corporation Announces Safety Audit Redux.

big_duck

[quote name='Anung Un Rama']I don't know if this is on or off topic but one thing I've not seen mentioned anywhere is the fact that a vast majority of passengers at any time are under the influence of aclohol. I'm sure in an emergency such as happened on the Concordia, even a normal sober person is going to panic which a few minority trying to calm things down and be rationable. When you throw booze into the mix that number is going to skew heavily in the negative direction (please note that I'm not saying this had anything to do with the Concordia or the passengers involved). From personal experience there are always plenty of people who over do it on cruise ships and hey, it's there vacation and they don't have to drive so who cares as long as they're being respectful to others. I can't think of any other emergency situation where a higher percentage of people would be under the influence though. I just wonder how they expect people who are in a foreign situation and are under the influence are supposed to react when their and their loved ones lives are on the line?

And no I don't have an answer to this, just pondering the scenario.[/quote]

I don't know about you but if I was sober in that situation a couple shots would have calmed my nerves down:p

[quote name='LoveMyBoxer']If we learned anything post 911 is that sometimes we DO NOT listen to authority! I have two friends who left one of the Towers even though they were told to stay in place. Well, they are thankfully alive, but lost co-workers who stayed! Not saying that individual people should be putting lifeboats into the water, but if you feel that you should go to your muster station even if told not to is the right thing, then just do it![/quote]

I don't recall that those instructing people to remain in the towers were ever prosecuted as James in SA suggests that poor girl should be.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
[quote name='freagan']I don't recall that those instructing people to remain in the towers were ever prosecuted as James in SA suggests that poor girl should be.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anything by James saying that she should be prosecuted. He just said "...and the stupid Costa staff lady is telling them to go back to their cabins and wait." Which is basically what they are trained or told to do! As I tried to say is that sometimes you need to use your own common sense and not wait for authority or people "in charge" to tell you what to do! Even if you look like the biggest idio on the planet with your life vest while at your muster station, if that is what you feel you need to do, then do it and don't wait!

[quote name='James in SA']Don't blame her? She probably KILLED people, some of whom may be eventually found drowned in their cabins with their lifejackets on.

Whether someone told her that not, it was [B]criminal stupidity[/B] to order people to their cabins when the ship was obviously taking on water and listing. No, she is not excused! :mad:[/quote]

[quote name='LoveMyBoxer']I didn't see anything by James saying that she should be prosecuted. [/quote]

The use of "criminal stupidity" would imply it.

Just because a ship is listing doesn't mean that the ship is sinking. I don't like entrusting my life to someone else anymore than the next person, but let's face it- that is exactly what we do when we travel. I used to love flying, but now I barely tolerate it because I was aircrew in the Navy and as such I was privy to everything that was going on throughout the plane. When I was onboard ship I was aware of what was going on. I hate not knowing what is going on. But I have to trust that the crew (whether airline or cruiseline) have been trained and will pass on the right information in an emergency and will respond apporpriately. When the day comes that I can't trust that then I will have to stop flying or cruising.

Yes, sometimes one must use common sense- if a crew member tells you to go down a passageway and you can see flames then it's probably best not to do that;) but 99% of the time following the crew's instructions is the second most important thing for the passengers to do. The first most important thing is remaining calm and not adding to the chaos.

Archived