Touting for tours

Cash123

Even though we live in the UK this will be our first european cruise, we are going on ncl spirit from Venice end of June, we have done a few Caribbean cruises and have used on many occasions local minibus drivers who tout for business at the dock area, we have always had great tours at very reasonable prices and I wondered if the same happens in places like Naples, Livorno etc. if so has anyone any comments on if they are safe and offer good value for money.

Napels does have these but I cannot vouche for them. In Livorno I dont think they do it is a very industrial(ugly) and a long way from any town.In Naples the ship docks downtown so there are many things going on around the pier. Your best bet is to join your roll call and hook up with others and split an excursion with others most take about 8 people.

We do the same thing in the Caribbean, but Europe is different. There may be drivers at some ports, but not all of them. And don't expect to find a bargain using this approach.

I agree with the other poster about arranging private tours with recommended companies with others on your roll call.

That said, we did use a taxi driver at the port for a half day in Athens. It cost a lot more than the ship tours or a prearranged private tour for the 2 of us. We used this approach because DH has mobility problems and I couldn't find anyone on our roll call with similar issues. We didn't book a private tour in advance just for us because we couldn't predict ahead of time how he would be getting along at that point of our cruise.

I think planning to find a driver after you get off the ship in Europe is best for weird situations such as ours or you could end up being disappointed.

Archived