Cozumel - Mexican street food

dnl_in_Illinois

I know what Cozumel is. It's not fully represenative of "real" Mexico. But let me ask my question anyway.

Does anyone know where in Cozumel we can find some good what I refer to as Mexican street food?

I'm thinking of taco's, tordas, tosdados, or a food - usually sold by a street vendor 'altho' in Cozumel it may have to be a restaurant - that sells food as prepared and eaten by the locals, or at least something close to that.

We take a cab to El Centro, which is the old part of Cozumel, go there all the time , just my wife and I, no problems $1 beer. Then we just walk arond till we see a decent looking cafe , and the food has always been good . Buenos suerte on your cruise,,,

You might want to check out websites such as CozumelMyCozumel.

I recall seeing a couple of food cart around the plaza. One sold hot dogs and stuff. The other one I saw was selling churos.

The other option is eating at the market, El Mercado. It's pretty easy and safe to walk to once you're downtown, if you don't get your taxi driver to drop you off there directly from the terminal.

During our first trip to Cozumel a few years back, we ate at a taqueria there. Cheap and tasty. Friendly staff seemed somewhat amused by the tourists eating there. :D

During our latest trip this past December, we lounged at Paradise Beach first before making our way to El Mercado. Unfortunately, a lot of the market closes down by around 1pm. None of the places still open were still selling tacos either. We ended up eating at one of the loncherias attached to the market, ordering ceviche and some soup. Enjoyed it but it was kind of expensive for what I was hoping to pay so I'm not sure if we got stuck with the "tourist menu" :). It was essentially on par what I would expect to pay in Canada or the States but I was hoping for a better deal like we had with the tacos the first trip but it was still reasonable. [Look at my attached pix. Maybe I'm off base.]

302941509_Cozumel-ElMercado-01.jpg.9503b1106e9d43396f0d34ce33c108f3.jpg

790535341_Cozumel-ElMercado-02.jpg.474789245bc720356d8a110bfdf38c1f.jpg

236413502_Cozumel-ElMercado-03.jpg.e788f5ffd884a6aec0aa70b1e1e76303.jpg

1796112415_Cozumel-ElMercado-04.jpg.9800459551213a444bdf1302cdb9e82b.jpg

1795561758_Cozumel-ElMercado-05.jpg.64aef0e3ec97def91890299f6ed8e5f3.jpg

549807723_Cozumel-ElMercado-06.jpg.df7d162ed26f6f3a77ae319eeb361ef4.jpg

We take a cab to El Centro, which is the old part of Cozumel, go there all the time , just my wife and I, no problems $1 beer. Then we just walk arond till we see a decent looking cafe , and the food has always been good . Buenos suerte on your cruise,,,

You might want to check out websites such as CozumelMyCozumel.

I recall seeing a couple of food cart around the plaza. One sold hot dogs and stuff. The other one I saw was selling churos.

The other option is eating at the market, El Mercado. It's pretty easy and safe to walk to once you're downtown, if you don't get your taxi driver to drop you off there directly from the terminal.

During our first trip to Cozumel a few years back, we ate at a taqueria there. Cheap and tasty. Friendly staff seemed somewhat amused by the tourists eating there.

During our latest trip this past December, we lounged at Paradise Beach first before making our way to El Mercado. Unfortunately, a lot of the market closes down by around 1pm. None of the places still open were still selling tacos either. We ended up eating at one of the loncherias attached to the market, ordering ceviche and some soup. Enjoyed it but it was kind of expensive for what I was hoping to pay so I'm not sure if we got stuck with the "tourist menu" It was essentially on par what I would expect to pay in Canada or the States but I was hoping for a better deal like we had with the tacos the first trip but it was still reasonable. [Look at my attached pix. Maybe I'm off base.]

Both posts are helpful and offer ideas. Subsequent to my CC board post I found something about the El Mercado and thought that offered the best option for what we're looking for. You mention that it closes down around 1pm. Does it open later? Are we talking siesta time here when it may reopen around 3? The pix are great! Even shows the menu.

Thanks much to both!! These boards are the greatest for sharing information. Buenos suerte to both of you!!

<snip>You mention that it closes down around 1pm. Does it open later? Are we talking siesta time here when it may reopen around 3? <snip>[/font]

Not that I'm aware of. I think that's it for the day for the market and most of the small shops. I'm not 100% sure though, so I'd double check other sources to confirm.

I think you dock at the TMM International pier. There's a battered blue taco truck across the street,between TMM and Puerta Maya pier.

Also if you're wandering up around El Mercado, there are a number of comidas in the area around Avenida 10 and Calle 15 and Rosadas Salas. Tonitas, the restuarant for Panderia Cozumelia (a great local bakery), Chilangos, Los Oates (an open air taqueria), readily come to mind. And if you're up that way, stop in at La Flor de Michoacan for great ice cream!

I think you dock at the TMM International pier. There's a battered blue taco truck across the street,between TMM and Puerta Maya pier.

Also if you're wandering up around El Mercado, there are a number of comidas in the area around Avenida 10 and Calle 15 and Rosadas Salas. Tonitas, the restuarant for Panderia Cozumelia (a great local bakery), Chilangos, Los Oates (an open air taqueria), readily come to mind. And if you're up that way, stop in at La Flor de Michoacan for great ice cream!

Woah!! THIS is good information. Thank you so much. I do think we'll be up around the El Mercado -- but that blue taco truck sounds exactly what I'm looking for. But then the bakery and the ice cream all sound good too. I must be hungry. Gotta get back to the football game but thaks so much for this. I've copied into my cruise -take with- notes.

Archived