Costa Concordia affecting cruise prices

Nukesailor

The reason people cruise Costa is basically the cheap fares, and if people are budget conscience, they will continue to book that line. According to the Wall Street Journal, cruise bookings were up over 3% on the day after the Concordia tragedy.

I've never heard of a cruise line taking away blocked rooms. I've been on a number of group cruises, and even when the prices have risen, the cruise lines never pulled the blocked cabins just to increase the price. Something isn't right here, and I suspect it's the travel agency and not the cruise line.

The cruise line always has the option to pull unsold group space.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Eclipse Jan 7-14. While on our cruise we booked her for Jan 2013. When home we looked up the cruise and were just checking prices for possible upgrade and saw that the price had already increased by almost $200! I was very surprised. I thought the price my decrease because of the Costa accident, but obviously it did not! Kim

I am not sure that this shows any form of causal relationship though.

It would be presumptuous to say why the cabins are not selling as well as they typically do. The Celebrity agent was surprised that more cabins were not filled. There had been a substantial reduction a week before the accident and we were surprised to have a second one.

I noticed the 3% increase in bookings that Carnival raved about, is being exposed as a publicity ruse in the news today.

Released by Celebrity today:

Royal Caribbean said the tragedy in Italy is having "such a significant near term effect on bookings" and added the impact on the company's earnings is "so uncertain."

The stock will take a hit today.

Kel:)

Archived