Does itinerary matter much on DCL?

MariahJ

My DH and I have done a lot of cruises and typically we hate to repeat ports until we've seen everything, so we generally go out of our way to find itineraries with new ports. However, now we have an 18 month-old and we're looking at our first Disney cruise. The best option that works with our schedule is a 7 day cruise with an itinerary that is a repeat of every single port for us except Castaway Cay. In fact, we just visited two of those ports last year. I'm thinking maybe with DCL we'll be more interested in entertainment onboard and not care much about excursions. Any thoughts?

It really depends on you what you want to do in those 7 days, or 3 days, or 14 days ... at sea or at port.

A big part of the premium that's already factored in DCL's price is their onboard experience. Disney is an entertainment company selling their experience on a cruiseship.

Yes and no.

If you have never been on a Disney Ship at all then I would say that you will want to spend much of the time on your cruise exploring the ship and the wide array of entertainment options you have. There is so much to do, to see, to experience each day that it is hard to fit it all in. Add nap time and possibly early bed time when you have a toddler - and just doing all of the stuff on the ship will take up most of your time. Another thing to factor in, while traveling with such a young child, wouldn't you rather visiting ports that you are already familiar with ?

I think if you have sailed a Disney ship then I guess the itinerary could come into play. I have sailed the same cruise twice now on the Dream. I can't say that I would NEVER do it again but I would much prefer to either have the same ship/new itin or a dif ship all together.

My DH and I have done a lot of cruises and typically we hate to repeat ports until we've seen everything, so we generally go out of our way to find itineraries with new ports. However, now we have an 18 month-old and we're looking at our first Disney cruise. The best option that works with our schedule is a 7 day cruise with an itinerary that is a repeat of every single port for us except Castaway Cay. In fact, we just visited two of those ports last year. I'm thinking maybe with DCL we'll be more interested in entertainment onboard and not care much about excursions. Any thoughts?

There is a ton of entertainment and activities on a Disney cruise even on port days. How much there would be for a child as young as yours is the question. You may want to think about waiting until he/she is a little older and can enjoy the kids clubs more.

There is a ton of entertainment and activities on a Disney cruise even on port days. How much there would be for a child as young as yours is the question. You may want to think about waiting until he/she is a little older and can enjoy the kids clubs more.

Just to clarify, she's 18 months old now but we're looking at cruising in December so she'll be almost 2.5. Yesterday was her first day at the Magic Kingdom and I was worried that it was too early but she loved every minute of it.

We are trying to take advantage of opportunities to go to Disney and do Disney cruises now because Grandma and Grandpa live in Orlando but are planning to move out of FL in 2-3 years. The cost will go up when we have to pay for a hotel and extra plane ticket (since we'd fly to Orlando anyway to see them).

Just to clarify, she's 18 months old now but we're looking at cruising in December so she'll be almost 2.5. Yesterday was her first day at the Magic Kingdom and I was worried that it was too early but she loved every minute of it.

We are trying to take advantage of opportunities to go to Disney and do Disney cruises now because Grandma and Grandpa live in Orlando but are planning to move out of FL in 2-3 years. The cost will go up when we have to pay for a hotel and extra plane ticket (since we'd fly to Orlando anyway to see them).

Just FYI that DCL charges different price for the 3rd/4th pax based on age. I can't remember the breakdown but the price for a 2-year-old is less than, say, a 7-year-old.

For the under 3 set you are basically paying the taxes ... on our two cruises he was under $300 each time. We planned perfectly because he turned 3 on this last cruise - so they let him in the club - but we paid the price of a 2 year old :) We have been on 2 DCL cruises and 2 WDW trips in the past year fully taking advantage of the price breaks you get at this age.

TBH our son has enjoyed each cruise and each WDW trip. I think he enjoyed this second cruise, where he turned 3, more because he loved being in the club. That being said the club has a lot of open house time if you want to take your under 3 / un potty trained child in.

There are some itinerary's I wouldn't do on Disney--Alaska because I think their price is outrageous and the Med because I'd rather sail on a small ship that can visit ports DCL can't.

I enjoy their Caribbean sailings, and that's probably what I would continue to sail them for.

There are some itinerary's I wouldn't do on Disney--Alaska because I think their price is outrageous and the Med because I'd rather sail on a small ship that can visit ports DCL can't.

I enjoy their Caribbean sailings, and that's probably what I would continue to sail them for.

If I were sailing for ports, I would look at the ports I wanted first and then choose the best ship that visited the ports I want to see. With DCL I find I book the ship I want to see with the most convenient boarding port and price point ... however if they had an interesting itinerary that would be a bonus!

So you went to that port once. Does that mean you did absolutely everything to do in that port???? I've been to Hawaii twice and only repeated one thing... I can go back on the same cruise again and repeat only one or two things (because they were so cool, I want to do them again).

Besides, this time you are visiting the port with your child. You wouldn't take you kid on that Booze cruze you did last time... :D

Some ports are only worth visiting once. Grand Cayman for example. Unless you want to get off a ship and lay on a beach all day, there's just not much to be done there. Nassau would be another.

We are visiting Dubrovnik twice on our B2B this summer, now that's a port I'm sure I'll wish we were spending even more time in.

For the under 3 set you are basically paying the taxes ... on our two cruises he was under $300 each time. We planned perfectly because he turned 3 on this last cruise - so they let him in the club - but we paid the price of a 2 year old :) We have been on 2 DCL cruises and 2 WDW trips in the past year fully taking advantage of the price breaks you get at this age.

TBH our son has enjoyed each cruise and each WDW trip. I think he enjoyed this second cruise, where he turned 3, more because he loved being in the club. That being said the club has a lot of open house time if you want to take your under 3 / un potty trained child in.

The ships we're considering have a nursery for 3 months - 3 years but I'm not sure how long my DD would be willing to stay there. She's not used to a daycare type of environment. I work from home and we have a nanny so she's a bit spoiled with 1:1 care. I'm not counting on being able to do excursions, etc but I'm hoping she'll stay there long enough for us to have dinner or go to the gym.

Some ports are only worth visiting once. Grand Cayman for example. Unless you want to get off a ship and lay on a beach all day, there's just not much to be done there. Nassau would be another.

We are visiting Dubrovnik twice on our B2B this summer, now that's a port I'm sure I'll wish we were spending even more time in.

I would repeat Dubrovnik in a heartbeat but so far I haven't come across anything in the Caribbean that I'm excited about repeating.

While I haven't done everything in every port by any means, I'd still prefer to take in new scenery, etc.

I would repeat Dubrovnik in a heartbeat but so far I haven't come across anything in the Caribbean that I'm excited about repeating.

While I haven't done everything in every port by any means, I'd still prefer to take in new scenery, etc.

I'd like to go back to St. Thomas so I can go to St. John, haven't been there yet. I'd also like to spend more time exploring Ste. Martin--if I go back to St. Maarten I'll skip any ship excursion and take a cab directly to Marigot for the day. And I'd love to spend time in Jamaica again--not down in the tourist trap port areas, but up in the mountains where a spiritual peacefulness exists.

And I'd love to spend time in Jamaica again--not down in the tourist trap port areas, but up in the mountains where a spiritual peacefulness exists.

Who would have thought such a thing could exist in Jamaica? Good to know. I'll definitely skip the tourist trap and head for the mountains if I ever make it to Jamaica again.

I agree with the pp who said if ports are important to you, then you should book based on that. Me, I couldn't care less, as long as it's the Caribbean in some way shape or form. The ship is the destination for me, and the fact that I'm at sea and not on land is what, er, floats my boat. :p The ship could do doughnuts in the middle of the ocean for a week, and I would be perfectly happy. :D

-gina-

The ships we're considering have a nursery for 3 months - 3 years but I'm not sure how long my DD would be willing to stay there. She's not used to a daycare type of environment. I work from home and we have a nanny so she's a bit spoiled with 1:1 care. I'm not counting on being able to do excursions, etc but I'm hoping she'll stay there long enough for us to have dinner or go to the gym.

The nursery on Disney has a very good caregiver to child ratio. It is nice and quiet. They are trained to know how to handle children who are a bit shy about being left there.

Archived