Tea & coffee on lido?

kazbar

Hi :)

We are on the Splendor in around 14 weeks and I am a big tea drinker (hot tea, not iced tea).

Is hot tea available 24 hours on the lido deck? Do they have different types or just 1 standard basic black tea?

Do they have china cups/mugs or disposable cups?

Any help is appreciated so that I know exactly what I need to bring with me and what I can get onboard :)

Hi :)

We are on the Splendor in around 14 weeks and I am a big tea drinker (hot tea, not iced tea).

Is hot tea available 24 hours on the lido deck? Do they have different types or just 1 standard basic black tea?

Do they have china cups/mugs or disposable cups?

Any help is appreciated so that I know exactly what I need to bring with me and what I can get onboard :)

Yes hot tea is available 24/7. I don't remember the different types but I drank Lipton decaf. They have plastic coffee mugs...not disposable.

Tea & Coffee is available 24 hours. One tip with tea: if it's really late or early in a.m. let the water run a little so it gets piping hot. Some Ships I've been on had flavors but I mostly noticed Lipton Decaf or Regular. Some Ships the mugs are plastic and some are china (I haven't been on Splendor). They are small though (at least for me)! I bring to go cups.

The tea from the Cafe is very good if you don't want to run up to Lido and are down by the Cafe. They have all the flavors there. I think they charge $1.00 for it.

Enjoy your cruise!

And if you go to Tea Time on sea days there will be a much larger variety of tea's to choose from. They also will bring out the "tea box" with all the varieties when you order with your meal in the MDR and it's free there.

There is a wooden box with selections of tea at the tea/coffee stations. The ones on show are the regular tea bags. I prefer English Breakfast but they have Earl Grey etc. Same in the MDR but you have to ask for it. At tea time they offer the selection box. I always have to ask for milk in a jug.

Sorry, just to clarify, is that at the stations or at tea time?

Milk is available in large jugs at the stations. You do have to ask for it at teatime and the MDR. Sometimes they will bring a glass of milk and have also been brought a jug of hot milk so I usually specify " a jug of cold milk please"

Just got off the Splendor in sept & 3 other Carnival cruises since & they have a GREAT selection of Tea 24/7 in the Lido buffet in a wooden Tea box, I love brewed tea as well! I love earl grey over ice! The fountain tea is very bitter & nasty! Also in the MDR they serve fresh expresso & capacino for FREE! MUCH better than the standard nasty tasting american coffee they have out of the dispensers! Some wooden box selections I remember are: Earl Grey reg & decaf, Green Tea, English B-fast, Orange Spice, & Lipton reg & decaf.! have a great cruise & dont forget the Indian tandoor on the Lido MMMMM!

Just got off the Splendor in sept & 3 other Carnival cruises since & they have a GREAT selection of Tea 24/7 in the Lido buffet in a wooden Tea box, I love brewed tea as well! I love earl grey over ice! The fountain tea is very bitter & nasty! Also in the MDR they serve fresh expresso & capacino for FREE! MUCH better than the standard nasty tasting american coffee they have out of the dispensers! Some wooden box selections I remember are: Earl Grey reg & decaf, Green Tea, English B-fast, Orange Spice, & Lipton reg & decaf.! have a great cruise & dont forget the Indian tandoor on the Lido MMMMM!

Thank you!

You have made my day :D

i am a tea drinker....i like it very fresh...but not a hot tea drinker. I usually make my own ice tea. i too cannot stand the nasty stuff that comes out of the fountain.

but maybe i should try tea time, and try it hot...although i cannot figure out why anyone would add milk to tea ? i suppose it's not much different than coffee and milk huh?

i need to read up on hot tea for dummies or something lol.

enjoy your cruise!

This was on the Magic, but look for it on the Splendor (I have no idea if it is there, but worth a look) - there are "tea caddies" (dark brown wooden boxes) with tea bags inside - had english breakfast, earl grey, several fruit types, and green. Not at all stations, but around. I grabbed the ones I liked and kept in my room for Room Service as it only brings Lipton. Next time I will bring my own tea leaves and tea strainer. I like good tea too.

I just got off the Valor a few weeks ago and the only tea they had available at Lido was the standard Lipton black tea. They did have quite a selection in the MDR though (Bigelow flavors, I believe). I always asked my waiter for an extra bag or two to take with me for later. They won't mind. :)

I am a big tea drinker and really prefer loose tea over the store bought tea bags, but I have to make due with what they have on the ships. They do have several "tea boxes" around the Lido dining room. It will have basic tea, decaf, and a few other flavors. I remember an orange and a lemon. They, also, have a couple English teas. I have never made it to the tea time in the MDR, so don't know if it's different - but at dinner in the MDR, they have the same teas as the Lido with the same box. I did buy some unique tea, in St. Thomas, once, and drank that while onboard - Papaya/Mango and Buttered Rum. I just took a cup of hot water back to my room. I don't know if you like sugar or sweetener in your tea, but I ordered tea from room service, on my last cruise, and they brought me a whole container of sweetener. So, I had it in my cabin all week and didn't have to worry about forgetting it at the buffet.

let me ask those of you who attend tea time....can a non hot tea drinker enjoy tea time or learn how to drink hot tea?

please don't take this wrong...but is it like all formal and "snobbish" like you see on tv.

can one learn how to drink hot tea during tea time or is this a social no no?

i ask because one time at a poker tournament (i know completely strange comparison) someone thought that would be a good time to learn how to play the game. WRONG! so i wouldn't want to interfere with the atmosphere of tea time (i'm guessing it's as much a social thing as physically drinking the tea??)

any tips or suggestions on how to go about enjoying or trying my very first tea time on board?

thanks in advance. i don't want to be "that person" like molly brown on the titanic where every one runs away from when it's tea time lol.:eek:

let me ask those of you who attend tea time....can a non hot tea drinker enjoy tea time or learn how to drink hot tea?

please don't take this wrong...but is it like all formal and "snobbish" like you see on tv.

can one learn how to drink hot tea during tea time or is this a social no no?

i ask because one time at a poker tournament (i know completely strange comparison) someone thought that would be a good time to learn how to play the game. WRONG! so i wouldn't want to interfere with the atmosphere of tea time (i'm guessing it's as much a social thing as physically drinking the tea??)

any tips or suggestions on how to go about enjoying or trying my very first tea time on board?

thanks in advance. i don't want to be "that person" like molly brown on the titanic where every one runs away from when it's tea time lol.:eek:

Tea time is social! Im not a big hot tea fan BUT they give me a BIG glass of ice for my Earl Grey tea! Love iced Earl Grey! Go for the fresh brewed tea over ice at tea time! nobody ran away from me when I did it on several occasions!:D

The wooden tea box may or may not be near the hot water dispensers. There is also a selection of herbal teas including chamomile.

You already know ... but yes, they have tea at the buffet. Most Carnival ships leave the wooden tea boxes out with a selection of teas (I believe they were Bigelow teas that last time we sailed) - herbal and regular. I love tea and never had trouble finding it on any Carnival ship at any hour of the day. If you order room service you do have to specify a specific type of tea, or you will get Lipton Orange Pekoe from my experience ...

On the Liberty the cups were not plastic - they were regular mugs ... not sure about the splendor.

Tea time on the ships is very casual - people go in shorts and t-shirts. Basically anything you could go to lunch in. We love it and bring my little boy along - he loves it too ...

Complimentary capuccino and espresso after dinner as well! And if you are having trouble finding the teas you like - ask at teatime or in the MDR after dinner - they will give you plenty to take with you (and you will probably see it appear up on the Lido after you ask about it!) :D

Not to sound dumb, but what/where/when is tea time?

Teatime is usually around 3 on sea days - it is served in either the dining room or one of the lounges (check the FunTimes onboard for exact details) ... basically it is a casual "low tea" ... traditional tea foods (finger sandwiches, cookies/biscuits) and tea are served ... just a social time.

This was on the Magic, but look for it on the Splendor (I have no idea if it is there, but worth a look) - there are "tea caddies" (dark brown wooden boxes) with tea bags inside - had english breakfast, earl grey, several fruit types, and green. Not at all stations, but around. I grabbed the ones I liked and kept in my room for Room Service as it only brings Lipton. Next time I will bring my own tea leaves and tea strainer. I like good tea too.

Or you could make up your own teabags

http://www.hercampus.com/school/appstate/diy-how-make-your-own-tea-bags

Or fill premade ones-

http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=llttptb&cn=Tea+Bags%2C+Fill-Your-Own%2C+Heat+Seal%2C+Cup+Size%2C+40+ct

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-100-Tea-Filters-Medium/dp/B002WB12IY/ref=pd_sim_k_1

you can always purchase something like this too to brew your own tea, no bags required. i have one and it's fabulous.

I just place a tea bag or loose tea in it, hot water and let it steep. then when i'm done, i place it over the glass of ice and it pours magically in to the glass.

http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-makers-infusers/p/teavana-perfect-teamaker

teavana is a place i recently found while trying to experiment with teas. We have a store locally.

i drink them iced instead of hot, but willing to try.

i just don't get milk in tea. is it a particular flavor of tea that you put milk in?

Archived