Do they offer swimming with sharks in Antigua, Nassau, St. Thomas?

singjenn

Carnival doesn't offer any excursions involving diving with sharks. I'm sure it's an insurance issue.

If you look at the amount of documentation and waivers required by a company like the folks at Stewart's Cove in the Bahamas you can understand why!

:)

We did Stuarts Cove in Nassua with a stop with the reef sharks. They where swiming around us and we where all holding onto a rope. I enjoyed it. My husband freaked out. Not sure I could do it again but it's a great story to share!

I've heard good things about Stuarts in Nassau as other posters mentioned. Just FYI you are in deep water and they put a bucket of chum at the bottom, so you are swimming over the sharks, not "with" them. After everybody is back on board they throw chum on the surface of the water for a bit of a feeding frenzy.

I believe it is part of a 3 stop snorkel excursion.

They do not adjust their schedule to ship time, so you have to make sure you are there early enough or late enough to make the trip.

I've heard good things about Stuarts in Nassau as other posters mentioned. Just FYI you are in deep water and they put a bucket of chum at the bottom, so you are swimming over the sharks, not "with" them. After everybody is back on board they throw chum on the surface of the water for a bit of a feeding frenzy.

I believe it is part of a 3 stop snorkel excursion.

They do not adjust their schedule to ship time, so you have to make sure you are there early enough or late enough to make the trip.

I now know what I will be doing in Nassau next year:)

Yep! Stuarts Cove offers a 3 stop snorkeling trip (at least they used to)that includes nurse sharks. I absolutely loved it! We saw about 40 sharks eating chum from a bucket on the bottom, but as the food disappeared they started coming closer to the surface. They get pretty close too! The only problem with Stuarts is the distance from the port. Its pretty far. Our port days in Nassau always seem short too. It will be a very tight schedule, but its doable!

Yikes...swimming with sharks????? I was freaked out enough to get in the water with stingrays in Grand Cayman, but really I am a wimp in the ocean! Sorry OP, my motto is "to each their own", hope you find your information, and have a great cruise, and excursions, but stay safe!:)

In St. Thomas, you can do it at Coral World Marine Park. It's right on Coki Beach. I did it 4 years ago. At the time, it was only about $30, but the price may have gone up since then. It was exhilarating!

The look on my face here says it all. :D

shark1.jpg

shark2.jpg

Yep! Stuarts Cove offers a 3 stop snorkeling trip (at least they used to)that includes nurse sharks. I absolutely loved it! We saw about 40 sharks eating chum from a bucket on the bottom, but as the food disappeared they started coming closer to the surface. They get pretty close too! The only problem with Stuarts is the distance from the port. Its pretty far. Our port days in Nassau always seem short too. It will be a very tight schedule, but its doable!

My son and I stayed in the water until one swam through my legs. If you look carefully at the bottom center of this photo you'll see the dorsal fin of the shark passing between my legs.

Sharks7e.jpg.d21d2443991d8070b9824705e3d7dcd6.jpg

I've been on countless shark dives and it's really not a big deal. Great whites and bullsharks aside, to your typical nurse or reef shark I assure you that you don't look like or taste like food to them.

Done correctly, the sharks never associate food with humans and unless you molest them or startle the **** out of them ( hard to do ) they really aren't even interested in you.

We did the one with Stuart's Cove too (about 4 years ago) and had a blast, a lot of fun! I think in the history of man a nurse shark has never attacked a person lol but it's still thrilling and a little scary. We had one lady that was freaking out and the sharks did swim pretty close, maybe 10 feet below us. But for the most part they are several yards below you swimming around the bucket.

Yikes...swimming with sharks????? I was freaked out enough to get in the water with stingrays in Grand Cayman, but really I am a wimp in the ocean! Sorry OP, my motto is "to each their own", hope you find your information, and have a great cruise, and excursions, but stay safe!:)

Hahahaha. It's ok... I know it sounds scarey. ;) I had heard about an excursion with a 3rd party company in Belize (I think it was Belize) that took you to swim with Nurse sharks. That's mainly what I was looking for. I think it sounds like an awesome thing to do and I know my husband would love it.

I was "bitten" by a stingray in Grand Cayman several years ago and it was some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. It ruined that excursion for me because it happened only after being in the water for fine minutes. I heard that swimming with the Nurse sharks was much safer....

I've been on countless shark dives and it's really not a big deal. Great whites and bullsharks aside, to your typical nurse or reef shark I assure you that you don't look like or taste like food to them.

Done correctly, the sharks never associate food with humans and unless you molest them or startle the **** out of them ( hard to do ) they really aren't even interested in you.

I would probobly startle the "bleep" out of them when I started screaming hysterically and swimming for my life...:D

Has anyone had problems making it back to the cruise ship after Stuarts excursion? We are in Nassau from 8:30 to 2. Im a little leery of the time constraint.

Check with them with your schedule (ship time vs. island time). They'll let you know if you'll cut it close or not.

Has anyone had problems making it back to the cruise ship after Stuarts excursion? We are in Nassau from 8:30 to 2. Im a little leery of the time constraint.

Its very tight. We had to take a cab back from Stuarts to the ship. We were some of the last people to get back on the ship. Stuarts provides transportation, but the bus stops at several other resorts etc. to pick people up. You are ok to take their bus there, but I dont think you can make it back unless you have a cab waiting when you get off the snorkel boat! Its possible but kinda stressful!

I have looked into this extensively as I am interested in doing a good bluewater cage dive with Whites. There really isn't much in the Carribean that could be utilized while on a cruise. The best options seem to be on the west coast and Mexican Riviera, so we'll try to do it next time we're out there. Good luck!:)

I also did the Stuart's Cove snorkel with the sharks. I would definitely recommend it. I was 'bumped' a couple of times by the sharks. We took some great pics and videos.

I wouldn't go to the Bahamas again on purpose---but if I end up there for something, I'd do it again.

Archived