Only in port until 3pm

Luke gs Daddy

You will most likely dock in Coxen Hole. The other docking area is Mahogany Bay and is owned by Carnival Corporation.

What time are you arriving? I can't imagine that you won't have enough time to go to West End for shopping. I would absolutely suggest you get out and about. There is basically some stores and restaurants in Coxen Hole. Roatan is a truly beautiful island so you need to go see it. Have you thought about booking an independent tour? We toured with Victor Bodden tours ( you can google them) They will customize a tour for you and make sure you get back to your ship in time.

Oops. Looks like you just sailed Royal and will be sailing Carnival to Roatan. You will dock in Mahogany Bay. I still stand by my post. Go out and see this island. Don't just stay in the man-made pier area of Mahogany Bay. Roatan is beautiful and you will have plenty of time to explore it.

Yes you will have time to head for West Bay/West End. The Liberty stays on Eastern time and Roatan doesn't observe daylight savings time. So you will be in Roatan 6AM-2PM local. Plenty of time to head for West Bay and go snorkeling then grab an early lunch and get back to MBCC by 1PM Roatan, 2PM ship.

May I suggest you contact Bananarama and see if they have day rate spots left. They used to charge $30pp, but it included transportation to and from MBCC and a coupon for a welcoming drink. They have outdoor showers to rinse off before you head back. Also small changing rooms. You can walk along the West Bay beach and snorkel off the beach if you like or hire a small boat to take you to the West End are for snorkeling off shore a ways. Bananarama has reasonably priced decent sandwiches and bar food, or you can walk back to the main road and cross the street and eat at Celeste's for their beleadas, Honduran empanadas, a great island treat. There are also a couple of other beach side places to eat just a short walk up your right along the beach.

http://www.bananaramadive.com/

We are using the ship's excurson to Tabayana. I was just too nervous because of the short time in port.

The only thing I am thinking is..it is pretty much independent from what I can gather about going back to the ship. Does anyone know if there are always cabs or whatever?? at Tabyana for the return?

We are using the ship's excurson to Tabayana. I was just too nervous because of the short time in port.

The only thing I am thinking is..it is pretty much independent from what I can gather about going back to the ship. Does anyone know if there are always cabs or whatever?? at Tabyana for the return?

If you are paying the ships excursion price is it not their responsibility to get you back to the ship. If it is not posted in your information, call them. Taxi's as a rule don't hang about waiting for fares near West Bay. This doesn't mean you will not find one.

I too am in port only from 7-3...am thinking of booking a private tour for shopping, a little sightseeing and snorkeling (a must do in my eyes!).

Will I have enough time??

If the snorkeling is as fantastic as i have read I may have to book a land vacation in the future. :)

I too am in port only from 7-3...am thinking of booking a private tour for shopping, a little sightseeing and snorkeling (a must do in my eyes!).

If the snorkeling is as fantastic as i have read I may have to book a land vacation in the future. :)

Snorkel 1st then see how you feel about the rest of it. :)

But if you book with Victor Bodden or one of the other guide/tour providers mentioned on these boards, I can't recall their names off the top of my head, they will work around your time and desires. You'll get sightseeing in on the rides to and from the beach and the ship. Shopping in West End/West Bay is more expensive and less choices than the cruise ports for typical tourist items. These guides will know where to go to get you what you're looking for if something specific, but don't expect a separate walk around shopping area away from the cruise ports with lots of stores and variety like in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

I highly recommend Victor Bodden's tours. You basically let them know what you want to do and they take you to it. It was $40pp for the 2 of us. We could have buddied up with other passengers and for 4 or more it drops to $25pp. The weather didn't cooperate on our December 2012 cruise however our tour guide Anthony was still great. We told him we wanted to try local cuisine and he took us to this beachside restaurant that had a lunch buffet that was authentic and awesome. Because the weather was drizzling/raining we didn't stay out the full time. When we were ready to go back he took us right up to Mahogany Bay.

Here is the sticky part. To be picked up for the tour you have to take about a 10-15 minute walk from Mahogany Bay over a hill to get to the tour guides. Victor keeps the tour prices low because he doesn't go with the cruise company there his drivers can only go into Mahogany Bay is when they have passengers. It was no big deal for the short walk. We also went to Victor's Monkey Business, this where you will pay for your tour and you have the option to pay $5 more to see the small "zoo" he has. It was the best part of our trip seeing the animals. The cappuchin monkeys are mischievious little things. My partner walked into the enclosure and one landed right on his head. Hilarious. Another took my bandana off... we got great pictures and had good time. :D

You can also check out this tour company on Trip Advisor and many of the reviews will list the individual drivers and we were able to pick which tour guide we wanted. Great communicated from the company by email before we even got there.

If you are paying the ships excursion price is it not their responsibility to get you back to the ship. If it is not posted in your information, call them. Taxi's as a rule don't hang about waiting for fares near West Bay. This doesn't mean you will not find one.

In actual fact it is the ships responsibility to get us back to the ship as the return transfer is part of the excursion we have paid for.:)

My question was basically if anyone knew how it actually worked.

The excursion description just says "return transportation every 1/2 hour from the beach" and that this tour is "at your leisure with no set duration"

Apologies, I did not understand the word cab threw me off.

Were it me going I would pay attention to what the transport looked like on the way to the beach and where it dropped me off. When I wanted to go back to the ship I would return to where I was dropped and look for the same form of transport back.

There are many people on this excursion, I would bet not every one goes at the same time so the cruise people have a shuttle that runs back and forth from the ship for better part of the time it is in port.

I have no idea what this shuttle looks like but I am betting it is not a series of cabs but a bus or van of some sort. It would be far to difficult for the cruise company to keep track of cabbies and fares. Think along the line of a shuttle from hotel to airport, except this one is going for ship to Tabyana. :D

But if you book with Victor Bodden or one of the other guide/tour providers mentioned on these boards, I can't recall their names off the top of my head, they will work around your time and desires. You'll get sightseeing in on the rides to and from the beach and the ship. Shopping in West End/West Bay is more expensive and less choices than the cruise ports for typical tourist items. These guides will know where to go to get you what you're looking for if something specific, but don't expect a separate walk around shopping area away from the cruise ports with lots of stores and variety like in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your info and agree, I'm going to book a private guide so that we dont have to worry about the time so much. Good point about sightseeing taking place on the ride. I definitely want to buy coffee, not sure what else...

I'm really looking forward to seeing this island!

Archived