Our first time in Nassau (what are the must do's)

nobody137

My wife and I are taking our first cruise, and we will be in Nassau from Noon to 10PM on April 26th.

We've been scouring the internet looking for things that we would like to do, but there literally is so many choices, and not enough time.

I personally would love to snorkel, but from looking at some of the options that I have found, we can't do that, and explore the town as well. We want to do Queen's Staircase, and possibly some of the forts, but we really are looking for some advice.

What are some of the must see things to do, visit, and eat in Nassau?

Now, neither of us are highly adventurous, so nothing like parasailing for us, we don't mind a walk, she doesn't like seafood (where as I love it), neither of us drink, and we both are pretty easy going.

Suggestions? Comments? Questions? Donations to help me buy enough sunscreen to keep myself from burning?

My wife and I are taking our first cruise, and we will be in Nassau from Noon to 10PM on April 26th.

We've been scouring the internet looking for things that we would like to do, but there literally is so many choices, and not enough time.

I personally would love to snorkel, but from looking at some of the options that I have found, we can't do that, and explore the town as well. We want to do Queen's Staircase, and possibly some of the forts, but we really are looking for some advice.

What are some of the must see things to do, visit, and eat in Nassau?

Now, neither of us are highly adventurous, so nothing like parasailing for us, we don't mind a walk, she doesn't like seafood (where as I love it), neither of us drink, and we both are pretty easy going.

Suggestions? Comments? Questions? Donations to help me buy enough sunscreen to keep myself from burning?

Take a horse and buggy ride, maybe $20 or so each. relaxing and informative. Located just outside the port.

An Historic Tour of Nassau- either on foot or by bus might be to your liking.

After a tour, some time at the British Colonial Hilton for refreshments is a recommendation. It is a lovely hotel right near the pier and within walking distance of shops.

Another place we have enjoyed is Ardastra Gardens and Zoo- with the Marching Flamingos.

Since you don't mind a walk, and want to explore the town, too - you might find the Bahamas Rum Cake Factory to be a point of interest. I wandered down Bay Street alone (maybe a mile) fairly far from the tourist Straw Market area and happened upon the storefront.

Owner George Bates offered me a fascinating history of his business, process and personal life - an exceedingly nice man full of charm and down to earth. The rumcakes are made on premises - they supply many of the touristy outlets, even Atlantis. 603 East Bay Street (walk with the flow of one-way traffic).

I'm doing the Frommers walking tour of Nassau (Google it, looks interesting and includes the staircase and fort Fincastle, among other places) while my husband and daughter are off on an excursion. It says it takes about 2.5 hours, depending on how fast/slow you walk and how long you stay at each site. (I plan on skipping 2-3 spots on the tour, and added one) We're meeting for lunch, then my husband is going to Atlantis while my daughter and I go to Junkanoo Beach.

I absolutely think you'll be able to do a walking tour AND a snorkeling outing. Just bring your own snorkel equipment and life vest and go on your own, don't feel like you have to be on someone else's timetable. You should have plenty of time!

Do the pirate museum! It was really interesting and a ton of fun. The atmosphere of some of their displays was great!

Once you do the Queen's Staircase, take a few steps to fort fincastle at the top! It's really small but the views are GREAT!

My DH and I have been on three cruises that docked at Nassau, and you are right there are alot of things to do. But if you enjoy cruising as much as we did the first time, the clue here is we have been three times to this port-in other words, once cruised-you will go again. I agree if what you want to see is the town, then the walking tour for sure. If you want BLING then Atlantis, if you want to swim, the Sheritan, if you want a harbour tour and the beach, I suggest Blue Lagoon.

Dont be overwelmed, just imagine that you will be there again, so plan someting funf for the two of you.:)

• 4 weeks later...

You MUST go beyond the first street outside of the port. Nassau has so much to see and do I don't think you could do it if you were there for a week. You can stay downtown, you can go toward cable beach, there is Paradise Island...

I think the horse and buggies would also be a cool way to see the town. As far as food or drinks...I would say if you want busy and touristy and don't want to go far you could go to Senior Frogs...just don't miss the boat...but I would try the Green Parrot bar (Hurrricane Hole location). Hubby and I are the same as you, he loves seafood and I hate it...you can find something for everyone here.

How is it that I get notifications for all the other posts I've been a part of, but none for this one which I created?

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

We've went back and forth as far as what we want to do, but after looking through the walking tour, I really like that. I'm a photography buff, so something like that would be great.

As suggested above, I Googled walking tours and found several that may interest you. Hopefully, the links show up okay....

Frommers has Historic Nassau walking tour found at:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html#

This is a map for the Frommers Walking tour

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

Carol's Worldwide Cruise Port Itineraries

The map isn’t very good, but does provide pictures:

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/BAHAMAS-Nassau-On-Your-Own.htm

Zydeco Cruiser walking tour includes good pics of Fort Fincastle:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

Provides some great photos and suggestions. brentje with an s at the end dot com slash Nassau: http://www.********.com/nassau

She included some unique views pictures on her walking tour:

http://www.alexinwanderland.com/2011/03/08/walking-tour-of-nassau-bahamas/

Southern Cruising walking tour information:

http://www.southerncruising.com/NewsRelease.aspx?NewsId=67

This is a guide for your I phone:

http://www.gpsmycity.com/iphone/nassau-walking-tours-176.html

(This guide includes a detailed, fully functional offline city map and several self-guided walking tours for Nassau. This guide works offline, hence NO Internet Connection is necessary. This guide can be downloaded via the Free City Maps and Walks iPhone app.)

if anyone has done the horse and buggy tour, please tell me a little more about it...how long? how much? what do you see?

My advice is.... skip the terror ride! Price I think was $10 each....

Hoo-boy we took this ride about 10 years ago as something to do and what a "Mr. Toad's wild ride" did we get. We got in the buggy and the driver got on, then we got out of the stall... the next thing I knew I was holding on for dear life and the buggy rocked and rolled us around intersections, curves at what I could only say was breakneck speed. We whizzed passed cars, ducking children, cussing taxis, screaming vendors... we "saw" downtown in about 10 minutes with the horse foaming at the mouth, the driver screaming like a drunken sailor. The buggy almost tipped over so many times we lost count. The best I can say about the experience is how close my wife clung to me! Yippee!

When we got very close to the stall/station we slowed to a walk, wandered into the station, the driver turned around and put his hand out for a "tip".... my comment was/is not printable but suffice to say he got nothing.

If your like hyper roller coaster take the horse and buggy. 2 autumns ago we went on one thinking it would be nice and romantic like the ones in Cape May ($35pp for 45 minutes) but at a bargain price, NJ, boy were we wrong. Tore through the down town at harness racing speeds with the horse actually colliding with another buggy in front of it at a traffic light. Could not understand the driver, his accent was too thick and voice to low. The $10pp tour was over in 15 minutes but since we could not relax and slowly enjoy the sights nor hold a conversation with the driver about what we were seeing it was no bargain. Now on the other hand if our teenage son had been there he would of gladly paid for that type of tour because he's an adrenaline junkie and a 15 minute ride is 3 times longer than most of the thrill rides he does.

We went on NCL and booked the sea & see tour. It's a boat tour/semi sub tour and then you go back to land and take a bus tour of the city. We really enjoyed it! After it was done our driver took us to the fish fry for a few dollars. Great food!

LOL @bobsfamily's buggy adventure description...I think it is almost unanimous that this particular horse and buggy ride is not recommended...I was thinking it would be something similar to the rides in the French Quarter...definitely doesn't sound like it... so thanks for the comments

LOL @bobsfamily's buggy adventure description...I think it is almost unanimous that this particular horse and buggy ride is not recommended...I was thinking it would be something similar to the rides in the French Quarter...definitely doesn't sound like it... so thanks for the comments

Thanks, even after 10 years we remember so maybe in that way it was worth it! Have told that story many times. WOW!

I live near downtown Charleston, SC and the horse and buggy rides are very sedate with the driver calling out all sites with plenty of knowledge (have to pass a test to do this). If our driver in Nassau was saying anything it was cussing at people he tried to run over...

If your like hyper roller coaster take the horse and buggy. 2 autumns ago we went on one thinking it would be nice and romantic like the ones in Cape May ($35pp for 45 minutes) but at a bargain price, NJ, boy were we wrong. Tore through the down town at harness racing speeds with the horse actually colliding with another buggy in front of it at a traffic light. Could not understand the driver, his accent was too thick and voice to low. The $10pp tour was over in 15 minutes but since we could not relax and slowly enjoy the sights nor hold a conversation with the driver about what we were seeing it was no bargain. Now on the other hand if our teenage son had been there he would of gladly paid for that type of tour because he's an adrenaline junkie and a 15 minute ride is 3 times longer than most of the thrill rides he does.

This one and Bobs story have me nearly peeing my pants in laughter. Was there a caution sing.....not for people with back or neck problems?

NCL Sky 3/19/12

• 3 weeks later...
For a walking tour, the following site provides some great photos and suggestions.

brentje with an s at the end dot com slash nassau

That was awesome! Thank you - We've been to Nassau several times and you showed me some new places. Still looking for that little out of the way bar to enjoy a nice cold, local beer - something not at Senor Frog's prices, and with a little more local character! Any suggestions?

B rent jes has some good walking tours, but is sometimes ambitious (they must be fit like us ;) )

For us: staircase and fort yes, main shopping drag (mainly diamonds and t-shirts) no thank you.

Snorkelling is better (IMHO) at Charlotte Amalie (but only after visiting the oldest synagogue in the caribbean) if that is a stop as well: http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=viis&parkname=Virgin%20Islands%20National%20Park

cross to St Thomas on the public ferry (we did that) and within walking range there is a very good beach. Or just hike in the park...

Honestly: we are not Bahamas fans, if we visit Nassau a third time we may - against character - stay aboard and enjoy what the ship has to offer.

Archived