Shopping in alaska

cruisinmeme

Crazy question maybe but for our 13 cruises we have always been close enough to our port to drive. Going to Alaska and will be flying. We usually go overboard buying for ourselves and family. So what types of light/small items do you guys buy when flying. Gee tee shirts and Christmas ornaments is all I have on my list so far.

IMO shopping in Alaska is better than most other resort ports in N. America.

The quality is a little better, and not quite as many oriental imports.

However, if you want anything 'Russian', be very careful, you just might even find a better 'bargain' on board ship.

john

We brought home a very nice native Alaskan pewter serving plate, an Alaskan made Ulu and cutting board (put in our one checked bag), my son bought a beautiful scrimshaw pocket knife in Sitka which we had shipped home (didn't want to deal with checking it on the ship and through in the checked luggage). We also got light weight fleeces in Sitka, hoodies in Ketchican and t-shirts. One son found a very neat hat which was practical on the trip and now this winter as well. My sister found very nice Alaska native prints- not sure if she shipped them home or if she put them in the luggage (I can't remember). Many places will ship things for you. Expect that it will take some time to get down to the lower 48. My son's knife took almost two weeks to get here, and we bought it towards the start of our trip.

Alaska has an interesting "Made in Alaska" program. In order to save myself some typing I have copied and pasted below part of my response to another shopping in Alaska question.

I am not clear if the OP is interested in purchasing inexpensive items made overseas, or is interested in Alaskan manufactured items.

There is a Made in Alaska (MIA) program sponsored by the Alaska Department of Economic Development and generally administered by a contractor. Manufacturers and artists apply for a permit to participate. If approved they receive a permit number and are allowed to use the MIA symbol on their products. The MIA symbol is a white mother bear with a black club snuggled against her legs. While the symbol is hard to describe, once you see it you will recognize it. There has been some fraud (a shop in Juneau was caught placing stickers on non-Alaskan manufactured items about 15 years ago), but generally this is some guarantee that the item is indeed made in-state.

There is a second program which was created by the Alaska State Council on the Arts which is very similar to the MIA program. This program is for folks who are Alaskan Native artists. This program allows them to place a silver hand against a black background sticker on their products.

Thanks for the helpful replies. No, I don't want Chinese junk. I was really needing ideas of small and light items to purchase ( room in luggage flying home) my husband does collect knives so that was a good idea. I don't wear hoodies but love to buy the. Hehe

Thanks again

Has anyone noticed if the prices for fleece are any better in one port or are they all about the same? We are doing Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier in May and I would rather buy something during the trip that will be a useful memento. If the prices are OK in Ketchikan I'd like to get a jacket or vest there since it is our first stop. I don't have much like that in my FL wardrobe and I'm always cold!

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheryl

We use our Ulu almost daily - great for chopping veggies or salad, fruits, even meat - very sharp blade! Ours comes with a small rounded bottom cutting board that the rounded blade fits perfectly in.

We also enjoy the various Alaska jams and jellies that are found in most ports - particularly the salmonberry, raspberry, and blueberry - delicious! Smoked salmon is easy enough to take home as well or you can have it shipped.

To cut down on luggage weight, the past two trips, we packed up some things we bought and mailed them from various ports - Ketchikan, Anchorage, and Seattle before boarding our flight the day after the cruise.

We use our Ulu almost daily - great for chopping veggies or salad, fruits, even meat - very sharp blade! Ours comes with a small rounded bottom cutting board that the rounded blade fits perfectly in.

Geez mine just sits on the mantel in the family room rusting( it was the cheap tourist kind)

We brought home a very nice native Alaskan pewter serving plate, an Alaskan made Ulu and cutting board (put in our one checked bag), my son bought a beautiful scrimshaw pocket knife in Sitka which we had shipped home (didn't want to deal with checking it on the ship and through in the checked luggage).

Is there a problem with bringing knives and such on board after a day in port? I know they put everything thru a scanner - how do they deal with them?

Mrs. Turbo was threatening to buy a 6 foot or larger authentic Native American totem pole when we visit Alaska in June (we're talking about someone who has brought such items back from trips, so...) Thankfully we found out such a thing costs more than her Honda Civic (new), so she gave up the idea of a 6 foot totem pole... Maybe a 3 foot :eek:

Is there a good place to find smaller, authentic Native American art in the usual places (Skagway, Ketchican, Juneau...)

Has anyone noticed if the prices for fleece are any better in one port or are they all about the same? We are doing Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier in May and I would rather buy something during the trip that will be a useful memento. If the prices are OK in Ketchikan I'd like to get a jacket or vest there since it is our first stop. I don't have much like that in my FL wardrobe and I'm always cold!

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheryl

My thoughts exactly - so I will probably buy my Canada souvenir sweatshirt at the begining of our trip in Vancouver. (Not that I am not packing fleece, etc.)

The rules about what 'sharps' you can bring on board vary by cruiseline. Find out before you try to bring an ulu on board.

Most shops will sehip items home for you or you can get a Post Office flat rate box and DIY.

Freece items are often cheap in ports and it doesn't seem to matter which port. End of season cruises often have huge mark downs.

These days things are often more expensive in Vancouver than in the Alaska ports.

I use my ulus for many things, but especially for cutting pizza.

We decided to just ship the knife back as we didn't want it held on the ship. It might have been possible to bring it on with us, but I just didn't want to deal with any hassles. It was a very nice, rather expensive knife. We even got a Christmas card from the shop owner this year! The Ulu we bought on board, it was Alaska made and the price was the same as we saw on shore. I use my Ulu several times a week. I love it for dicing onions, cutting meat into chunks, almost anything. It is great for trimming meat.

We bought fleece in Sitka, just couldn't resist the price- and I brought fleece along. I wear my Sitka Alaska fleece almost every day now and get plenty of comments. It is light weight but works well as a sweatshirt.

The rules about what 'sharps' you can bring on board vary by cruiseline. Find out before you try to bring an ulu on board.

Most shops will sehip items home for you or you can get a Post Office flat rate box and DIY.

Freece items are often cheap in ports and it doesn't seem to matter which port. End of season cruises often have huge mark downs.

These days things are often more expensive in Vancouver than in the Alaska ports.

I use my ulus for many things, but especially for cutting pizza.

Thanks! Think I'll try to talk the hubby into a bit of shopping for wearable souveniers in our first stop in Ketchikan - he has fleece jacket & vest from Great Smoky Mountain National Park but I didn't get any for some odd reason. He wears it in the computer room at work more than outside in the winter. We're back up close to 80 so I guess winter is over!

Is there anything in particular to look for to be sure to get a good usable ulu as opposed to a decorative tourist piece? We do a lot of cooking from scratch and use a lot of herbs as do others in the family so this might be a good early Christmas purchase for us.

I'm not much of a shopper but if I can figure out where to go and then get in & get out there should be no kicking & screaming by either me or hubby! :D

Thanks! Think I'll try to talk the hubby into a bit of shopping for wearable souveniers in our first stop in Ketchikan - he has fleece jacket & vest from Great Smoky Mountain National Park but I didn't get any for some odd reason. He wears it in the computer room at work more than outside in the winter. We're back up close to 80 so I guess winter is over!

Is there anything in particular to look for to be sure to get a good usable ulu as opposed to a decorative tourist piece? We do a lot of cooking from scratch and use a lot of herbs as do others in the family so this might be a good early Christmas purchase for us.

I'm not much of a shopper but if I can figure out where to go and then get in & get out there should be no kicking & screaming by either me or hubby! :D

I'm thinking of ulus as christmas gifts too--have a look at the ulu factory prices they appear to be quite reasonable and are Alaska made.

Archived