Cunard to Leave Manhattan for Brooklyn

cunarder

At least the birds eye view map had the name of a highway I recognized--(thanks for postingit!) I am sure the limo company will find its way but I am worried about waiting time when we are getting off the ship..Last time out of NYC the poor driver had to circle for almost an hr or more before we were actually out with the luggage...gave him huge extra tip for the inconvenience...

Hi All,

When we went to see the terminal on Friday we did not make any U Turn's at all to get to and approaching the terminal/property entrance.

Don't know what they are talking about?

I think they need to re look at these instruction as I am very use to driving in all area's of Brooklyn and this was straight driving.

It's just the out of area for now where they located the pier. Maybe in years to come there will be shops and hotels dotted around, BUT not for a longtime.

Again, alot more will be published near the date of the opening of the pier in the NYC papers.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

The instructions at this link do have you making a U-turn but it looks like from the service road (Hamilton) on one side of I-278 to the service road (Hamilton) on the other side of I-278, so technically a u-turn but not exactly. Let's hope the road there is an easy U-turn and they keep traffic moving. The birdseye picture shows that the freeway is totally elevated along this stretch with local traffic underneath.

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/bct_info.cfm

It looks like there might some a few other ways to get into there, but wonder if they may block them?

Maybe some locals will provide a few hints - locals that actually KNOW these roads.

Hi All,

When we went to see the terminal on Friday we did not make any U Turn's at all to get to and approaching the terminal/property entrance.

Don't know what they are talking about?

I think they need to re look at these instruction as I am very use to driving in all area's of Brooklyn and this was straight driving.

It's just the out of area for now where they located the pier. Maybe in years to come there will be shops and hotels dotted around, BUT not for a longtime.

Again, alot more will be published near the date of the opening of the pier in the NYC papers.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Didn't you go EAST on the BQE to get to Red Hook (from the Verranzano)??? If you go WEST on the BQE, from Manhattan or Queens, you have to go under the BQE on the service rd to go west to the piers.

I still think it is easier to go EAST on the BQE from the Battery tunnel or the bridges and get off at Atlantic. Go east to Clinton and south to either Union to Van Brunt or south to 9th and follow the directions the Port Authority gives. Or go West to Columbia (or Columbus-can't remember, will ask my drivers Friday) and south. Those are alternate truck routes into the piers. They may be congested with trucks (not on the weekends), but they will NOT be congested with lookey-loo passenger cars and lots of taxis and limos.

And while you are wandering around Brooklyn, have lunch at the River Cafe. Spectacular. http://www.rivercafe.com/

Didn't you go EAST on the BQE to get to Red Hook (from the Verranzano)??? If you go WEST on the BQE, from Manhattan or Queens, you have to go under the BQE on the service rd to go west to the piers.

http://www.rivercafe.com/

When one is traveling from the Verrazano on the BQE they are going WEST to and they will go under the highway to get to Red Hook. If one is driving from Manhattan/Queens, they are going East on the BQE and will not go under the highway to get to the piers. The instructions on the pier site do not make sense to me and seem like the way one would one would go to get to the Columbia Waterfront, not Redhook.

Anyone who likes Burgers can get a great one at Peter Luger's in Williamsburg for lunch - the only time these are served.

When one is traveling from the Verrazano on the BQE they are going WEST to and they will go under the highway to get to Red Hook. If one is driving from Manhattan/Queens, they are going East on the BQE and will not go under the highway to get to the piers. The instructions on the pier site do not make sense to me and seem like the way one would one would go to get to the Columbia Waterfront, not Redhook.

Anyone who likes Burgers can get a great one at Peter Luger's in Williamsburg for lunch - the only time these are served.

I beg to differ. FROM Manhattan/Queens/Bronx on the BQE TO the Verranzano is WEST. You are going INTO NJ-WEST. I agree, in that little stretch of the BQE, from the Battery Tunnel to Prospect Expressway, you are ACTUALLY going Southeast. But all the way from the Triboro to the Verranzano, the highway signs are marked 278WEST. (I always thought 278 was more north and south, but NYDOT says it's East and West-it's their Interstate-guess they can call it whatever they want)

FROM Manhattan, you will get off a right hand ramp, go down the service rd, follow it UNDER the BQE to reach the opposite side service rd (hence the U-turn) and follow the service rd to the WEST.

I will be in NYC Friday. Have to go down to pier area for business, so will take pictures. If I can figure out a way to post them from the NY office computer will do so.

I beg to differ. FROM Manhattan/Queens/Bronx on the BQE TO the Verranzano is WEST. You are going INTO NJ-WEST. I agree, in that little stretch of the BQE, from the Battery Tunnel to Prospect Expressway, you are ACTUALLY going Southeast. But all the way from the Triboro to the Verranzano, the highway signs are marked 278WEST. (I always thought 278 was more north and south, but NYDOT says it's East and West-it's their Interstate-guess they can call it whatever they want)

FROM Manhattan, you will get off a right hand ramp, go down the service rd, follow it UNDER the BQE to reach the opposite side service rd (hence the U-turn) and follow the service rd to the WEST.

I will be in NYC Friday. Have to go down to pier area for business, so will take pictures. If I can figure out a way to post them from the NY office computer will do so.

I was refering to the direction one was coming from when they arrive at Hamilton Ave. When you are approaching Hamilton from the Gowanus Exp/BQE/Prospect merger you are going West. When you are in the other direction you are going east. If you have to cross the highway while on the service road after coming out of the Battery Tunnel, you are going left in the direction of Carroll Gardens and the Columbia Waterfront, not Red Hook as Red Hook is on the right.

Hi All,

There is confusion about this U Turn when coming thru the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel from Manhattan being Legal or Illegal.

The instructions they are attempting to convey to you is that- When exiting the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel you are asked to bear right and exit off the first exit being Hamilton Avenue.

Hamilton Avenue is not a service road but a industrial type 4 lane avenue for each direction of traffic and is divided by the elevated highway that runs under the Gowanus Expressway.

After getting off the Hamilton Avenue Exit from exiting the tunnel, you will now bear left till you come to the first traffic light. You will now make a left turn and come to another traffic light. When green, you will make another left turn onto Hamilton Avenue going west and will be heading back towards the Tunnel but on city streets towards the Waterfront area.

CAUTION:If you make a sharp left turn at this last light will be re-entering a ramp heading back into the Tunnels Toll Plaza. You must bypass this and come from under the highway overhead onto the outside - Hamilton Avenue.

See, the U Turn is really two legal Left Turns at traffic lights that will redirect you towards the Waterfront - Harbor area and not illegal at all.

You will not be dealing with this if you are coming from the east - Brooklyn or JFK Airport.

Coming from Brooklyn and driving in NYC, I apologize for these crazy directions but we natural drive these streets without batting a eye and know where we are going.

I hope this helps the confusion about the U Turn.

Regards,

(Bev & Ed)

Hi Folks, Just a little extra info. If you go to the terminal from Columbia Street, you will see several shops and new restaurants. The area is being regentrified and is getting pretty expensive to buy into.

Any good car service or limo service should know their way around the area.

Maria;)

Hi All,

As mariaemp675 stated about the shops and food on Columbia Street, that is if you visit them before entering the Waterfront-Harbor Entrance Area.

As we saw it on Friday when we visited the Terminal Area, it is quite a distance once you enter the facility. There is really no where to walk to especially with all the gates they have installed around the property. Approaches to Terminal #1 & Terminal #2 are by vehicles only.

They may in the future build shops and food vendors within the terminal area for the passenger's convenience.

As for Peter Lugers, one of our most favorite steakhouse's we go to all the time, I would not suggest that choice especially on a embarkation day! Too Far Away - That is in the Williamsburg Area of Brooklyn - quite a distance. But if you do have the time - a definite place to try. May I make one suggestion, go hungry - You'll SEE what I mean.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Hi All,

As mariaemp675 stated about the shops and food on Columbia Street, that is if you visit them before entering the Waterfront-Harbor Entrance Area.

As we saw it on Friday when we visited the Terminal Area, it is quite a distance once you enter the facility. There is really no where to walk to especially with all the gates they have installed around the property. Approaches to Terminal #1 & Terminal #2 are by vehicles only.

They may in the future build shops and food vendors within the terminal area for the passenger's convenience.

As for Peter Lugers, one of our most favorite steakhouse's we go to all the time, I would not suggest that choice especially on a embarkation day! Too Far Away - That is in the Williamsburg Area of Brooklyn - quite a distance. But if you do have the time - a definite place to try. May I make one suggestion, go hungry - You'll SEE what I mean.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

There is a nice French Seafood Restaurant right in Red Hook called La Boubillaise which we highly recommend.

GreatAM - I saw the signs on the way to work this morning and of course you were right. So what is actually going to occur coming out of the tunnnel is one makes a left turn, proceeds down to the back of the Tunnel entrance and makes another u-turn - a 360 deg in effect and winds up on Columbia. It actually looks quite easy for anyone - not just native New Yorkers who cannot even remember what the highway signs say.

Jeanne

sounds like finding a ship in New York harbor is getting as hard as finding a ship in Los Angeles

maybe a duck would be the way to go, if I could find a duck in New York harbor:confused:

I'll probably call cunard the day before as I did we I boarded the cunard sagafjord in los angeles in 1994 but the limo driver will probably think i am whackey with the directions as the driver thought in 1994. good thing that cunard ships have distinctive huge red smoke stacks

I am smoke stakey whackey:p

Just rec'd our cruise docs for QM2 trip out of NY on April 15th.

The slip inside specifically mentions the old/current Manhattan docks for boarding the ship.

This means either the folks stuffing the envelopes are not paying attention, or Cunard knows something we don't know. Only time will tell.

And, to be honest, I am expecting to be told conflicting information and then have it change again depending on how things are going in NY as we approach mid April.

U-turns are the least of my concerns.

Some possible good news for those going on the QM2 in April.

The QM2 is the only ship scheduled at Red Hook in April - once on the 15th and again on the 29th. See the schedule here.

There is only one other ship scheduled to be at the Manhattan piers on April 15th and none on April 29th.

So - if they have to delay the start of cruise ships at Red Hook, it might not be too difficult to do that.

Of course, the real headache is letting all the passengers know-though I would expect there is a higher chance of people going to Manhattan in error than Red Hook in error.

Now - you can make a U-Turn.

I cant see Red Hook being ready to take all these people and this ship with just 5 weeks to go.

They are not ready. It will be the same fiasco when RCCL/Celebrity inintally opened Port Bayonne. But after a month it was fine. I love sailing out of Bayonne. My only concern with Brooklyn is the traffic as it is always a mess during the hours one would approach the pier.

as i'm doing the noordam from mahatten and hoping the qm2 is also lvg from there to get some good pics of the ship. if she goes from brooklyn not sure if i'll see her omn our way out

dave

Yes you will be able to see the ship on your passing through Upper New York Bay. It will be on Portside prior to making the left turn for the approach to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Not to knock Brooklyn, but part of the appeal of my April crossing is sailing up the Hudson and landing in Manhattan like my ancestors in the late 1800's. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Robbie

I gather they arrived prior to 1/10/1892 when Ellis Island Offically took its first immigrant or else they were 1st/2nd class passengers who were able to bypass the Ellis Island Experience.

We are sailing 9/30/06 on the Crown Princess and QM2 will also be in port at Red Hook.

So you are doing a Westbound Crossing this April?

Hi Jeanne,

I guess Sandy and I will just miss you on your return. We sail on Oct. 7th on the Star Princess out of Red Hook. I wish QM2 was there for us to see. I would like to show my inlaws someday.

Ed

I gather they arrived prior to 1/10/1892 when Ellis Island Offically took its first immigrant or else they were 1st/2nd class passengers who were able to bypass the Ellis Island Experience.

Yes, which is WHY there were barriers between classes on the TITANIC - they were put there by US Immigration authorities - if they hadn't been there then ALL of the Titanic's passsengers would have had to clear Ellis......if they'd got there

Peter

Who thinks Cameron's Titanic a great movie but lousy history......

We are sailing 9/30/06 on the Crown Princess and QM2 will also be in port at Red Hook.

So you are doing a Westbound Crossing this April?

My German ancestors arrived on the SS Trave via Bremen/Southampton in October of 1889. I don't know anything about the ship, but I imagine my family could not afford luxury fare. I am assuming they landed in Manhattan, but now that you bring it up, I am really not sure. From there, straight to the Dakotas.

Yes, we sail from Southampton on April 23. I really can't wait.:)

Cheers

I just checked the manifest......steerage

My German ancestors arrived on the SS Trave via Bremen/Southampton in October of 1889. I don't know anything about the ship, but I imagine my family could not afford luxury fare. I am assuming they landed in Manhattan, but now that you bring it up, I am really not sure. From there, straight to the Dakotas.

Yes, we sail from Southampton on April 23. I really can't wait.:)

Cheers

I just checked the manifest......steerage

They would have went to Castle Garden (used top be Castle Clinton) which is right at the entrance to the Hudson River at Battery Par and served as the New York State immigration station from 1855 to 1890 - which is the southern most tip of Manhattan. Had they had some contagious disease such as Consumption or Tranchoma they would have been quarantined on Staten Island at the Quarantine Station.

I always liked April in London. Are you flying to GatwicK?

Am also of German Descent, my Grandfather having been an employee on the Vaterland (Hamburg Amerika Line) in Hoboken in 1917 as war was declared on Germany. He was thrown into a concentration camp.

Archived