Joining large tables at dinner with NCL's freestyle dining

gb88

My sister and I will be traveling on an NCL ship this summer. We have selected "anytime" dining on many other cruise lines, always offering to join a larger table (6 or 8 people) at dinner. This allows us to meet interesting people each night, always joining new people at dinner. On NCL, there is "freestyle" dining. Is it possible to request placement at a big table on this cruise line???? The last time we traveled on NCL, we were seated by ourselves, which isn't nearly as much fun.

One place you will share a table is Teppanyaki. We did it on our second night the last cruise and met a couple we ended up spending more time with during the cruise. Go to the roll call for your cruise and the meet and greet. You can get others to dine with after that.

I also encourage you to join your roll call. You may meet people there you wish to dine with!

I also agree, join your roll call. You will probably meet people you get along with and can share meals with them. A group of us from my Epic roll call ate dinner together, went to the beach, and shows together. Plus you'll probably run into each other on the ship and you can join them in activities.

I don't know how much luck you'll have randomly eating with strangers in the MDR. Like the other posters said, most people do not like eating with stranges.

Is it possible to request placement at a big table on this cruise line???? The last time we traveled on NCL, we were seated by ourselves, which isn't nearly as much fun.

Same problem for us, this is the only reason I don't like NCL, but keep sailing with them as they have better (for us) itineraries.

Every time we'd tell "we want to share our table" - but... there was nobody who was willing to share! For some reason, people don't want company at dinner.

You can request a larger table but as previous posters have said, don't be too disappointed if there are no other takers. Part of what draws many people to NCL (me and my DH included) is precisely the fact that we don't have to share a table at dinner time. We have no problem meeting new people, but we prefer not to do it at meal time.

Usually at the busiest dining times, you'll be asked outright if you'd like to share a table.

Otherwise, just tell the hostess that you'd like to be seated at a larger table.

We ate a couple times in Azura, the MDR on the Jewel and I don't think I remember seeing a table larger than for 4.

But, just let the staff know & enjoy yourself.

Since NCL is all "anytime" dining they set up with almost all 4 person tables, with some 2 and some larger. If there is a larger party they push tables together like at a land-based restaurant. Lines that are all or mostly set dining tend to have larger tables where the hostess may need to fill tables with those willing to share with someone else. Quite frankly, I just think these large tables on NCL are generally full of large parties, not a bunch of singles/doubles. I think it's less of an issue of people not wanting to share. It's more likely that there are not a bunch of free seats at large tables because there just aren't many of them.

My sister and I will be traveling on an NCL ship this summer. We have selected "anytime" dining on many other cruise lines, always offering to join a larger table (6 or 8 people) at dinner. This allows us to meet interesting people each night, always joining new people at dinner. On NCL, there is "freestyle" dining. Is it possible to request placement at a big table on this cruise line???? The last time we traveled on NCL, we were seated by ourselves, which isn't nearly as much fun.

Usually the host/hostess will ask if you want to share a table. Many people will reply Yes, and those people will be seated at larger tables, sharing. On those ships where the host/hostess asks everyone about sharing, there is no problem being seated at a table with others.

On our b2b2b cruises on the Sun in 2010, we were on the ship for 33 days and ate most of our dinners in the MDR. We were ALWAYS able to be seated with 3 or 4 other couples since the host/hostess did such a good job of asking everyone if they were willing to share.

However, we've cruised on some NCL ships where the host/hostess does not ask every couple if they want to share and automatically seat them at a table for two. On those ships, even when we've asked to share a table, if others haven't also initiated the request, we've had trouble being seated with others or with having others join us.

Archived